X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe:

1 cup. whole new cast

1 pound. whole new concept

1 extra large or mega size Stargate--that works! Has a blue center and an inner ring that turns with "woosh" thing!

Omit. more ships that go boom.

1 cup. whole new enemy

1 cup. whole new allies

Omit. worship me or die and "Mmm, dinner."

Place in oven and bake for next season. Caution is hot.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      Recipe:

1 cup. whole new cast

1 pound. whole new concept

1 extra large or mega size Stargate--that works! Has a blue center and an inner ring that turns with "woosh" thing!

Omit. more ships that go boom.

1 cup. whole new enemy

1 cup. whole new allies

Omit. worship me or die and "Mmm, dinner."

Place in oven and bake for next season. Caution is hot.

Hey, I like that recipe of yours!!
      -

Comment

I think we can all agree they need to lay back on the blowing up of ships.

They really need to come up with some new badguys that aren't new. Someone we only have seen or heard of. I still say have the Furlings be bad guys, but that we never see them still.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
          I think we can all agree they need to lay back on the blowing up of ships.

They really need to come up with some new badguys that aren't new. Someone we only have seen or heard of. I still say have the Furlings be bad guys, but that we never see them still.
          Huh, I was jsut thinkning that. Now woudln't that be a plot-twist, the Furlings being the new big baddies

Abnd agree on the ships. Sigh. Some settings that would reduce the spaceships to minimum. Th eproblem isn't the explosion of ships - the more exploding ships the better, it means Earth has less ships at its disposal -the problem is the existance of ships in the first place.
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I'd like to get back to more of the exploration and wonder of the early episodes. That's probably impossible, since they already know too much about the universe, but maybe there can be some way to reset the technology that humans actually possess.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
              I'd like to get back to more of the exploration and wonder of the early episodes. That's probably impossible, since they already know too much about the universe, but maybe there can be some way to reset the technology that humans actually possess.
              It's not just technology - it's mentality. I think you really see it well in Stargate Atlantis. When they try to bring back that mentality, sGA usually falls apart - at least for me. The innocent is gone from the Stargate universe, and trying to bring it back now would feel artificial - unless - they manage to somehow reset everything.
              But I'm not sure I want them to reset everything - I like continuity, and a huge honking reset is going to kill that.

What they could do, however, is make the Stargate programme public adn try adn deal with that innocence through the general public, those who don't know anything...
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                It's not just technology - it's mentality. I think you really see it well in Stargate Atlantis. When they try to bring back that mentality, sGA usually falls apart - at least for me. The innocent is gone from the Stargate universe, and trying to bring it back now would feel artificial - unless - they manage to somehow reset everything.
                But I'm not sure I want them to reset everything - I like continuity, and a huge honking reset is going to kill that.

What they could do, however, is make the Stargate programme public adn try adn deal with that innocence through the general public, those who don't know anything...
                Yeah, I know it's not really a realistic goal. Unfortunately I have only seen the first season of Atlantis so far, so I can't really comment on that. I think the program going public could be interesting. I also think a group getting stranded in a different galaxy could be good. Maybe it would be too Atlantisish, but if they were stranded without all the great toys, it could be interesting. Might be a little to BSG like though I suppose.

It's almost too bad that the early seasons were so good. They used everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  l -the problem is the existance of ships in the first place.

Yep, or at least the existance of extremely fast ships with beaming technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                    Yep, or at least the existance of extremely fast ships with beaming technology.
                    Eurgh, let's not go there

However I do think it's ships in general. There more spaceships there are, the les Stargate it is. One of the reasons I love Stargate so much is that it's set in the here and now. Having a huge space battle every once in a while is understandable - and even required, considering there are spaceships out there, even if Earth doesn't have them - adn we did see this even back in season 1. But too many ships and it loses something.
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I think they should go back to looking at our own mythology for clues on where to get the next series from.

I would like to see the writers draw on greek mythology and include some alians based on that old mythology. Half human and half animal is always freakie--no flying dragons though.

I would like them to find Manitors and Centaurs and Fawns. I would also like to see some of our past conspiracy theories played out. (Did Hitler have contact with Aliens? Hitler tried to make a flying saucer and a death ray.) They blew it wth the Roswell incident. Sam mentioned in one episode that it was a Asgard craft. Lame, lame, lame!

I would like to see them place more effort in connecting the mythologies. When they found Atlantis they never drew on any of Plato's work. Just, "Oh, look it's Atlantis!"

I hope they go back to square one and return to writing like the show was about discovery and not about how many times they saved the world now.

Of course if they really want to stir the pot they should look on the back of a 1 dollar bill and address the theories around the "Eye of Providence." Perhaps the Mason's knew something too!
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I can't imagine them going back to square one, as in exploring new territories. We've seen it plenty of times. Though admittedly, as long as the characters are interesting I'd watch anything!

I agree that the ships kinda made things too easy so it would be nice if they found a way to keep those ships occupied and away from the main show.

Maybe the ninth chevron actually takes them so far away that even the ships can't get there any time soon!

I doubt we'd see anything non-human as a new culture or enemy. It would be too expensive to produce! It's the reason why we only rarely see Asgard or replicators and even the replicators are human now...
                        I'd rather have them use the money for things that further the plot rather than making an enemy/culture alien.

I'd like it though if they used Earth's ethnicities to create new cultures. I'm thinking Matrix where most people seemed to have at least tanned skin in the real world. That added so much to the atmosphere I think! OK, that would make casting extras a little more complicated but I think that's a minor challenge.

But here I am fantasying about a new territory again when I think that the new show might just be an extension to our known universe. Like Stargate Command. Or didn't someone mention an alternate reality somewhere? A completely separate storyline? (Can't remember where.)

Comment

I think they should go back to looking at our own mythology for clues on where to get the next series from.

I would like to see the writers draw on greek mythology and include some alians based on that old mythology. Half human and half animal is always freakie--no flying dragons though.

I would like them to find Manitors and Centaurs and Fawns. I would also like to see some of our past conspiracy theories played out. (Did Hitler have contact with Aliens? Hitler tried to make a flying saucer and a death ray.) They blew it wth the Roswell incident. Sam mentioned in one episode that it was a Asgard craft. Lame, lame, lame!

I would like to see them place more effort in connecting the mythologies. When they found Atlantis they never drew on any of Plato's work. Just, "Oh, look it's Atlantis!"

I hope they go back to square one and return to writing like the show was about discovery and not about how many times they saved the world now.

Of course if they really want to stir the pot they should look on the back of a 1 dollar bill and address the theories around the "Eye of Providence." Perhaps the Mason's knew something too!
                          That was my point a while back tho... it's hard to fidn new ground for exploration without pretending the last 10 years of SG1 and 3 of Atlantis never existed. However they do it, I'm not sure it can come out right.

Maybe they should jsut jump forward several decades, whcih would alow them to scramble everything established and give them a new playground.
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

When they found Atlantis they never drew on any of Plato's work. Just, "Oh, look it's Atlantis!"
                            well, there was a quick mention of plato in the first Atlantis episode Rising. just a fast semi-quote of the plato's description.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I felt the urge to express my guess on what the 3rd series is going to be based on. I would like the see 'Stargate:Origins', we go back to when the Ancients or 'Gate Builders' first constructed the Stargates. Their fight from baddies and disease and the Ori faction and pursuit of Ascension... basically an Origin story. That sort of thing is popular now, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction they went along with.

And as I have said, I felt the urge to express this, because one too many ideas have come into my head, only to be aired before I could get them down on paper. It's driving me nuts So I don't mind being wrong, as long as I got it down somewhere before it might turn out to be true.

However, I do like the idea of an Origin story on the techs of building the gates, the names the Ancients actually used for stuff, and the Ancients themselves. The Ancient's Mythology.

Any replies or ideas? Am I crazy? Is it a dumb idea? : P
                            sigpic

Comment

I like the Origins idea, although it has it's potential problems (but any new show does really)

My big concern would be how the ancients act? One thing I like about Stargate is the humour, but I worry that the ancients really won't be that relatable to us. They'd have to humanize them more and that could be kind of silly. If they wen't back to far before they reached the point of ascension, then it could probably be done well, but we need the human element.

Comment

I agree. Also I believe they have actually said that the key to the Stargate franchise was the whole concept of normal people in extraordinary circumstances and that any new show would stick to that. I don't think a series about the ancients would fit that profile, but I like the idea nevertheless.

Comment

Working...
                                X