This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
    Funny how Heroes is rated 5 times better than any scifi friday series.

You know why?

Because Bonnie Hammer isn't behind the scene of that show.
    Actually the executive producer or whatever of the show has the last name Hammer and is probably related.

...And Heroes is rated 5 times(5? I thought it was only about 3 times better. Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else...) better because it's a network show.
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus117 View Post
      Lets be honest - this thread has done nothing to merit a bashing of the "current" series, or Season Nine. This thread is here to inform people that Sci-Fi Fridays are starting back up again - in whatever form that may take.

To bring your views and alignment into it is not only disrespectful to the fans of the new series, but also to the old one itself. Be happy that Season Eight is now in the line-up... and by all means prefer it over Season's 9 and 10, but crying poetic about how the newer seasons are no longer classic SG-1 - it's been heard before. And I'm willing to bet it's been said a lot more intelligently as well.

Keep your opinions about the new series to yourself in most threads please, because it's not called for here and only incites arguements and negative attitudes with in the community.

- Marcus
      Keep your opinions about my opinions to yourself - Mr/Ms Intelligence. If you want to insult someone go to the Sony thread where that type of thing is acceptable. This is an open forum and I can say anything I want to say any way I want to say it and if it doesn't stand up to your level of "intellignece" that's just too bad.

Comment

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          While I agree they prolly chose season 8 because it's the highest rated one (and because they haven't shown it to death on Stargate Mondays) it was my understanding that as long as season 9 is syndicated, they're not allowed to air it... Could be wrong, the entire US TV system usually keeps me confused.
          your right
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by michey View Post
            One thing I am hoping for is that SciFi will now show the 2nd half of SG-1 in January rather than March as planned so they can air it with BSG.
            This could go a long way to convincing Sci-Fi or another channel to pick it up for a season 11
            What could go even longer to convincing them of a season 11 is to go on like planned with a March start, and have Stargate get better ratings on its own.

Getting better ratings with the help of another show isn't very convincing if you want to prove Stargate SG-1 still has its own juice left.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
              What could go even longer to convincing them of a season 11 is to go on like planned with a March start, and have Stargate get better ratings on its own.

Getting better ratings with the help of another show isn't very convincing if you want to prove Stargate SG-1 still has its own juice left.
              ...however, I doubt they actually are considering renewing the show. SciFi don't want a season 11 regardless, I think they made it quite clear...
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I've no problem to believe that - but I don't think it's a factor.
                SciFi's seen enough of Stargate's demographics in seasons 1-5 when they decided to pick the show for a 6th season. It's no secret SG1's demographic was never even close to what's considered the... expected science fiction demographic, shall we call it. The show has appealed to an older audience since day 1. I don't think it should matter because, while SciFi would - obviously - like Stargate to appeal to their key demographics, they must have taken this information under consideration when they renewed the show year after year.
                Or, they could be dumber than even I imagined...
                ...but at that time all of Stargates ratings(household and demographic) were higher. The fact that it skewed older wasn't as important because the younger demo ratings were still high. If you read articles about "Dancing With the Stars", ABC acknowledges that it skews older with a median age that's in the 50's, but the absolute number of viewers is so high, it's still a top ten show for Adults 18-49.

Point being: older skewing demographics can be tolerated when a show's ratings are high. They matter, though, for a show whose ratings are on the bubble between cancellation and renewal. Studio 60 just got a full season renewal not because its household ratings are healthy. They aren't. It got a renewal because it does well among an attractive demographic to advertisers--higher income people. I'm willing to bet that BSG does better than Stargate for higher income people also.

Comment

...however, I doubt they actually are considering renewing the show. SciFi don't want a season 11 regardless, I think they made it quite clear...
                  I tend to agree with you.

I'm just pointing out to the people have some kind of hope that SG-1's ratings still matter that, logically, they would matter more if the show started getting higher ratings on its own rather than help from another show. Thus, I don't understand this push to pair it up with BSG again. It won't prove anything to the PTB about Stargate's strength. In fact, it would just reinforce its weakness.

Comment

But maybe MGM won't need SciFi anymore to give us season 11.
                    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                      But maybe MGM won't need SciFi anymore to give us season 11.
                      MGM would need some entity to give them the $15 million that SciFi gave them to produce a season. That entity doesn't exist.

What they are doing, apparently, is producing some movies, which they have apparently calculated they can afford...or are willing to risk deficit financing.

But, they aren't stupid. They aren't going to deficit finance to the tune of $15 million.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                        MGM would need some entity to give them the $15 million that SciFi gave them to produce a season. That entity doesn't exist.
                        The new MGM Channel is expanding with cable providers worldwide, though it is not yet available in the US, but it will be eventually.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                          The new MGM Channel is expanding with cable providers worldwide, though it is not yet available in the US, but it will be eventually.
                          Unfortunately my cable network or digital platform I subscribe to doesn't hold it, another cable network in Warsaw has it

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                            Unfortunately my cable network or digital platform I subscribe to doesn't hold it, another cable network in Warsaw has it
                            From what I've read, this is a bit experimental, and not even running 24/7 yet, but if this channel gets enough support, it will expand. That is possibly what MGM is looking at for its own series in the future.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

From what I've read, this is a bit experimental, and not even running 24/7 yet, but if this channel gets enough support, it will expand. That is possibly what MGM is looking at for its own series in the future.
                              Almost 24/7. At least MGM Movies channel with a nice MGM logo in TV weekly magazine, if this is what we're talking about. They start shortly after 6 am and depending on the day it's exactly 24 hours a day or very close to - 21-22.

Comment

That will take years, if at all, and I doubt it's being introduced in many countries where they don't already have networks running(and paying for) SG-1. Thus, it isn't new income for them. It's already on the balance sheet.

Do you have any idea how long it takes in the U.S. to build a cable network to a critical mass that's large enough to make original series that cost the same as Sg-1 viable? It gets harder and harder the more cluttered our TV environment is.

How long did it even take SciFi from the time it first broadcast to get big enough to fund an original series with SG-1's cost? (I know the answer, but it would be useful for the optimists out there to look it up themselves)

Even if it happens--and that's a big "if"--the only Stargate they would consider is "Stargate: the Next Generation"

Comment

Working...
                                X