This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Royalflush
    An article that specifically mentions Stargate SG-1 has "nothing" to do with Stargate ???

Oreo, you've really lost it there.

And I'm now just going to ignore you from this point on...

Everyone, let's make sure to tell MGM that we think NEW SG-1 on their channel is a great idea. The gate is still open!
    Judging from the guy's comments about ECW(whenever anybody says anything bad about it he gets defensive) I think he's working for the Sci-Fi channel.
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by belgian
      amazon, itunes and dvds have nothing to do with this, MGM Channel or not

and for foreign countries, it is already in foreign countries what do i care wheter it be mgm channel or sky or ...

STARGATE COMMAND can be shown on scifi or anny other channel

and i am also optomistically about the future of stargate, i just wanted to tell you guys that this news in my opinion is neiter positive or negative
      Well I consider it positive. MGM is making the public aware that they stand behind SG-1 and the Stargate franchise 100%, not like Paramount with Star Trek Enterprise, which allowed Star Trek to die.

Comment

then why has scifi and almost everybody on this forum said that in the contract it says that sg-1 is only for scifi not just until the end of the season but forever
        SG1 is only for SciFi...IN THE US! That's why this is better news than usual. If MGM can carry the show to other countries, a new season is possible.

Originally posted by Oreo
        This has nothing to do with Stargate and frankly has nothing to do with anything and you all are so desperet to find anything that means SG-1 will go on.
        That's odd, considering that they actually mention Stargate SG1 within the article.

*sigh* sometimes I think trolls just don't try anymore. It must be the SciFi channel's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          SG1 is only for SciFi...IN THE US! That's why this is better news than usual. If MGM can carry the show to other countries, a new season is possible.
          and again: and for foreign countries, it is already in foreign countries what do i care wheter it be mgm channel or sky or ...

Comment

MGM Worldwide TV Distribution Group only means getting/using MGM's current (already produced) library of shows and movies in a variety of ways to generate income. MGM's own cable station, iTunes-like distribution in other countries, etc etc are ways to achieve that goal and to evolve themselves to appeal to the more technological savvy viewer. Many studios want to eliminate the middle men in distribution so they can reap the maximum amount of profit by dealing with the principals (network/cable/satellite channels) or even the consumer directly.

Lot of hurtles to overcome and it would take a massive amount of money to create their own cable/satellite channel in each country they are interested in having a presence in. One can look at Universal's expansion into the foreign cable station market and online distribution of shows see how long it takes to just get a foothold in a crowded marketplace. It's not going to be an overnight thing and Studios tend to want to firmly establish their new cable channel in one or 2 country(s) before expanding further. The ad market model used in the U.S. may not apply or transfer well to other countries. Plus finding and hiring all the (local) right people/professionals needed to get things started. Then you have channel positioning, where certain groups of numbers tend to gather the majority of subscription viewers (channel surfing) and may command a higher fee from the cable/satellite company.

What is MGM going to do with all the relationships with foreign networks that bought and carried MGM programming over the years? Universal didn't move their more popular shows to their new cable channel. Why? Because it's often easier and more profitable to just collect the fees instead of trying to do everything yourself, plus you don't piss off past funding partners or potential homes/requests for new programs.

It would be different if this worldwide network/presence was already set up. Then there would be a real possibility that production of new SG1 episodes could continue because the risk is more spread out and higher ad fees can be charged where SG1 is more popular.

That being said, IF SG1 is to continue without too long of a delay, then MGM has to find funding partners (like SkyOne, etc etc) to help underwrite the show. Even then, production values might have to be lowered and/or cast changes to lower the overall cost of the show. It's not easy to totally replace the SFC's cash input into SG1.
            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

The savestargate site has a survey now up asking for fan reaction to a digital future for Stargate:

http://savestargatesg1.com/digital.php

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Scifi: "You can't take it anywhere else!"

MGM: "lolz k, we'll do it ourselves then, kthxbye."

To above poster, you are correct about the cash thing, but I don't htink MGM is exactly lacking in that department. Besides, this is probably bigger than SG1. The SG1 situation has just alerted MGM that other outlets will be effective in the future so they are just preparing. Though, one cannot ignore the convenient timing of this with the apparent and impending end of SG1 looming in the near future.

We can only hope.
                "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

Comment

and again: and for foreign countries, it is already in foreign countries what do i care wheter it be mgm channel or sky or ...
                  Something tells me we're not exacty talking about the same thing.

Yes, the old episodes are already being shown on Sky, SPACE, etc. channels in foregn countries. BUT, due to SciFi's contract, NEW episodes (ie. Season 11) cannot be shown in the US.

Now, if MGM is able to create its own channel OUTSIDE of the US, then it can create SG1 season 11, and air it on their own channel, without the bounds of the Sci-Fi contract.

Sure, they can do this too with already-existing foregn channels, but there is no promise that they will pick up the show for an 11th season. MGM, being highly supportive of the Stargate franchise, on the other hand, would most likely sponsor a 11th channel being shot and aired on their own "MGM Channel".

Are we clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                    MGM Worldwide TV Distribution Group only means getting/using MGM's current (already produced) library of shows and movies in a variety of ways to generate income. MGM's own cable station, iTunes-like distribution in other countries, etc etc are ways to achieve that goal and to evolve themselves to appeal to the more technological savvy viewer. Many studios want to eliminate the middle men in distribution so they can reap the maximum amount of profit by dealing with the principals (network/cable/satellite channels) or even the consumer directly.

Lot of hurtles to overcome and it would take a massive amount of money to create their own cable/satellite channel in each country they are interested in having a presence in. One can look at Universal's expansion into the foreign cable station market and online distribution of shows see how long it takes to just get a foothold in a crowded marketplace. It's not going to be an overnight thing and Studios tend to want to firmly establish their new cable channel in one or 2 country(s) before expanding further. The ad market model used in the U.S. may not apply or transfer well to other countries. Plus finding and hiring all the (local) right people/professionals needed to get things started. Then you have channel positioning, where certain groups of numbers tend to gather the majority of subscription viewers (channel surfing) and may command a higher fee from the cable/satellite company.

What is MGM going to do with all the relationships with foreign networks that bought and carried MGM programming over the years? Universal didn't move their more popular shows to their new cable channel. Why? Because it's often easier and more profitable to just collect the fees instead of trying to do everything yourself, plus you don't piss off past funding partners or potential homes/requests for new programs.

It would be different if this worldwide network/presence was already set up. Then there would be a real possibility that production of new SG1 episodes could continue because the risk is more spread out and higher ad fees can be charged where SG1 is more popular.

That being said, IF SG1 is to continue without too long of a delay, then MGM has to find funding partners (like SkyOne, etc etc) to help underwrite the show. Even then, production values might have to be lowered and/or cast changes to lower the overall cost of the show. It's not easy to totally replace the SFC's cash input into SG1.

Awesome news, thanks for the update!
                    I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Something tells me we're not exacty talking about the same thing.

Yes, the old episodes are already being shown on Sky, SPACE, etc. channels in foregn countries. BUT, due to SciFi's contract, NEW episodes (ie. Season 11) cannot be shown in the US.
                      you said this

implying that if they carry it to other countries, a new season is possible (thus i was talkin about the same thing, perhaps you got a little confused about what you said)

Now, if MGM is able to create its own channel OUTSIDE of the US, then it can create SG1 season 11, and air it on their own channel, without the bounds of the Sci-Fi contract.
                      outside the us they can create and air it on any channel without the bounds of the Sci-Fi contract

Sure, they can do this too with already-existing foregn channels, but there is no promise that they will pick up the show for an 11th season. MGM, being highly supportive of the Stargate franchise, on the other hand, would most likely sponsor a 11th channel being shot and aired on their own "MGM Channel".
                      there is no reason why other chanels would not pick up on an 11 season

Are we clear?
                      i really really hope so

Comment

there is no reason why other chanels would not pick up on an 11 season
                        That's true, but it's a lot more likely that MGM will carry on with more SG1 than another channel picking it up. Afterall, the show's expansive.

i really really hope so
                        I think we are.

Comment

Yes, it will be great to have an MGM owned network, unfortunately, I fear it will come too late to save SG-1. They will complete shooting by October 4th, and then the finale will go to post production. They have already broken down a few sets, like the village and the cave, but not the old stand-bys....the conference room, the gateroom and Gen. Landry's/Hammon's/O'Neill's office. Once the cast goes their separate ways, especially Claudia Black and Ben Browder (they will probably return to Australia), it will be difficult to resurrect the "band". However, maybe they already have plans in the works, and we will get at least something, but I sincerely doubt it will be another season.
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

The village is gone?! Dammit...

Well, it's usual for the cast to split up after the show wraps for the season...so who knows, maybe this is still all on schedule. One can hope...

Comment

SciFi is really pushing us too much. I fear that there will be a very ugly backlash against the network if this keeps up much more.

The ratings for other shows could tank in retaliation for the cancellation of SG-1.

Comment

Hopefully this will be a new breath of life. Like anyting else i am sure with a little green MGM will own the full US rights to SG1 again. Everyting is for sale and if they want to control there own TV i am sure the US market will still be big on there list.

And why would they break down the village or the cave. This is one of those sets used in both Alantis and SG1. Can this intell be confirmed!!
                                "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject"

Comment

Working...
                                X