This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    So there was no point in promoting Battlestar Galactica Season One when it aired? It was promoted like crazy on other channels up here, Stargate has never been promoted.

NEW shows will always get the promotion, no matter what network you go to. This is not exclusive to sci-fi. You're simpley more likely to draw in an audience to a new show rather then one that's been on for ten years. Most audiences do not want to play catch up.

Eureka and Battlestar Galactica are simpley more accessable to mainstream audiences, it wouldn't make sense not to promote them like crazy.

I don't understand the complaints over Eureka being promoted- they make no sense, but I guess fans have to take their frustration out on something.
    I'm simply stating that I saw more Eureka promotions by far than any returning Stargate, on a lot more channels. That's what I was comparing. Instead of promoting just Eureka, they could have taken a bit more budget and at least on the couple weeks before the season started to promote SGs as well. I saw about 1/4th of the commericals for SGs that I did compared to Eureka.

It's hard to get more viewers when you're rather slack in promoting. The most I saw the SG commericals were during the Firefly marathon Sci-Fi played a couple weeks ago. Added to the fact they didn't even bother to have a repeat of the season finales the night before (since the day of would be nearly impossible timewise).

Viewers can be rather fickle, and if you don't prompt some reminders they tend to forget. And I'm well aware of the new shows on tv. I've been a viewer for all my life, I simply noticed the ratio. Especially if you take into account Eureka WAS repeated on USA the other night, whereas the SGs are not repeated on another network in an effort to gain more audience. You either catch it on Sci-Fi or you're pretty much SOL.

Thanks leelakin for the ID Card.

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed
      did anyone get a reply from scfi
      No. Scifi won't reply back. Why should they? When you think about it, why would they want to reply to a lot of emails that basically say the same thing?
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
        No. Scifi won't reply back. Why should they? When you think about it, why would they want to reply to a lot of emails that basically say the same thing?
        I have been here with the FOX network, emailed them galore *not saying what the show was* but they never replied in the end they actually closed the email address!

Is it that bad to start in March? As an Australian, I am still waiting for season two SGA to screen here... still waiting. If it is a nail in the coffin fair enough but *shrugs* it is only 6 mths... did I mention still waiting for season two SGA.

Comment

I honestly think the show is in no danger. The loyal fans will watch the show no matter when it airs and I really have a feeling the ratings will continue to improve. I think Pegasus Project will help bring in some bigger ratings and as the season goes on I believe they will steadily improve. I don't think the hiatus will hurt the chanced for a season 11 but a season 12 might be another story. As long as the writers are able to tie up all lose ends and end the show positivly I'm a happy camper!
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

IMO, a 6-month hiatus is just a bad idea. Especially in the middle of a season. If they wanted to wait 6 months inbetween Seasons 10 and 11, fine. I'd still not like it, but it would be better than waiting that long just to see the rest of this season.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
              Is it that bad to start in March? As an Australian, I am still waiting for season two SGA to screen here... still waiting. If it is a nail in the coffin fair enough but *shrugs* it is only 6 mths... did I mention still waiting for season two SGA.
              You haven't had season 2 yet ? In France, we already have seen season 9 and season 2 is just about to finish next saturday night !

It had to be translated, but it began in februar... after 8 months waiting...

I always thought the american way of broadcasting in two parts with not very long hiatuses (?) was very interesting. Like that, you didn't have to wait for a very long time.

I can remember having waited (without sleeping much the last days) between most seasons, since 1998, to know what finally happened ! 8 months can be a very long time...

Comment

You should live in Australia. Most years it is a year wait between seasons or more.

But 6 months is crazy. Stargate has had the longest hiatus' that I have ever seen in a series.

Comment

Originally posted by asgard_fleet
                  You should live in Australia. Most years it is a year wait between seasons or more.

But 6 months is crazy. Stargate has had the longest hiatus' that I have ever seen in a series.
                  It really sounds like a piece of cake compared to how long we had to wait for BSG S2- ten months, TEN MONTHS after KLG PT II to see if the commander lived.

I don't understnd how sci-fi, as they have the CHOICE would choose to put such a long break in the middle of the season.....

Comment

Having thought over this dilemma for the past couple of days, I have reached a conclusion. And for what it’s worth here it is! I think there are several things that we as Stargate fans can do to help out the franchise. First, I recommend that we start a word of mouth campaign to tell as many people as possible about SG-1 and Atlantis. Talk to your neighbors, friends, family, co-workers, heck you can talk to complete strangers for all I care; just tell as many people as you can about Stargate and tell them when it airs and that it airs on SciFi. The end result being a ratings boost for the current seasons. In my opinion, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are wonderful shows and I feel there are many more potential viewers who would like the shows if they just knew about them. I think this would be a significant step in the right direction. Second, for those of us who already watch Stargate on a regular basis, please try to watch it when it airs not on Tivo. As most of you know, TV shows that are taped by DVRs such as Tivo DO NOT count in the ratings. I realize that there are situations in which you cannot watch the shows live (i.e. work, school, etc…) but if we all try to watch them live I think the ratings will boost. Third, I think that an e-mail campaign (which I know is already in effect) might help SciFi realize that we are concerned. There are already several versions of e-mails that you can send or you can be creative and pen your own. I do have one suggestion about e-mailing SciFi, try to be nice. If you are overly angry or ugly to them chances are they won’t listen to us. Well after so many words, you have now read my suggestion. Now you have a choice, you can try my suggestion and see how it goes or you can ignore it and do nothing. Me, I hope you try it. I think that we can really make a difference. So I pray that you give these ideas a try. If you need SciFi’s e-mail address it is: [email protected]. Have a great day!

Daniel - (psjm1)

Comment

For a little context, remember that the mid-season break is usually about four months anyway. If Skiffy restarts as early as the first week of March, the extra break could be as little as six weeks.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                        IMO, a 6-month hiatus is just a bad idea. Especially in the middle of a season. If they wanted to wait 6 months inbetween Seasons 10 and 11, fine. I'd still not like it, but it would be better than waiting that long just to see the rest of this season.
                        I'm not saying I don't like the idea or that it's not a bad idea, I'm just saying I will continue to watch no matter how long I have to wait. Also if their plan is to run Stargate year round it could end up being a good idea. I won't like having to wait 6 months, but I still have a firm opinion that it won't destroy the franchise. I still think Starhate will run stron and the ratings won't drop because all of the fans will want to tune in. I'd rather wait 3 than 6 months but I don't want to do what some of the antis are and saying blah, blah the show is doomed etc.. Lets all just hope for the best! Long Live Stargate!
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                          For a little context, remember that the mid-season break is usually about four months anyway. If Skiffy restarts as early as the first week of March, the extra break could be as little as six weeks.
                          Agreed, but I doubt that, if SciFi starts the new eps in March (and some fans in the US seeing the eps already, I don't know how that can happen ), odds saying they would probably start in October instead of July. And yes I'm saying that BSG Season 4 would start in July instead of the Gates.

Here's another way I see happening (assuming that SciFi changes it's mind and restarts the Gates in January instead of March), and yes this is one of my crazy Daydreams:

October
                          Week before the BSG Premiere- SciFi Airs the Doctor Who "Children In Need" special (which lasts like 10 minutes), followed by the Doctor Who "Christmas Invasion," in a 90-minute length (since is it's like a little under a hour long, w/o commercials).
                          One week later-
                          9:00pm EST-Doctor Who Season 3 Premiere "New Earth"
                          10:00PM EST-BSG Season 3 Premiere

January
                          Move BSG and Doctor Who to Wednesday, swap Time Slots (BSG now airing at 9:00PM EST and Doctor Who at 10:00PM EST), so BSG can be up against new episodes Lost, when it returns (because I really want to see that). And after Doctor Who runs out of new Season 2 eps to air, just put repeats Ghost Hunters, BSG, Stargate, or new episodes of Tripping the Rift (which I really want) in the time slot.
                          Then put the gates where they're suppose to be: SG-1 at 9:00PM EST and SGA at 10:00PM EST on Friday.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                            When Farscape was still on air on SciFi, we had to wait 7 MONTHS for the last 4 episodes of season 3. So you can see than Skiffy did similar things before with another other shows, too.
                            i couldn't remember the details, but i remembered farscape being treated rather shabbily when scifi decided to not have it anymore. and i remembered thinking right then... if they can do it to farscape, they might do it to another....

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              i couldn't remember the details, but i remembered farscape being treated rather shabbily when scifi decided to not have it anymore. and i remembered thinking right then... if they can do it to farscape, they might do it to another....

sally
                              I'll tell you this. If Sci-Fi does their part to screw up SG-1 and SGA, I'll probably never forgive them. I barely did after what they pulled with Farscape. They just seem so ignorant at times.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by FlashBang
                                Added to the fact they didn't even bother to have a repeat of the season finales the night before (since the day of would be nearly impossible timewise).
                                that's right! i didn't think of it while the season premier was airing, but i thought about it a week or two before. they used to *always* air the season finales before the new ep (because they tied into each other, obviously).

i think they're killing it, but neglect. (but i also think the writers are killing it, so... )

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X