Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with the part where the number of the main casts has anything to do with the quality of the storylines or an individual character's development.

A lot of shows out there manage admirably with more than 5 main characters (6 for the coming season). While the Stargate writers are unfamiliar with writing for that many, I really hope they will learn, and learn fast. I know an hour's not much to tell a story but they don't have to squeeze everything into that hour. Besides, a little mystery hinted at now and then won't hurt!

The fact that you pointed out Atlantis (the show really never captured my attetion) only reflect how poorly the writers are cooping with writing for more than 4 main characters. Actually, from what I've seen and gathered from others' opinion, Atlantis only really showcase Shepherd and Mckay (and not well for Sheperd, judging from the disappointment I've come across).

This is one of the main reasons why I don't join the anti or pro threads; I can see both points of views. I don't mind the changes or Mitchell's character, only the way they are presented to us, and in a lot of ways it is because of how it is written.. the writers need to find the balance between the plot and character development and not just come up with something contrived or cliched.

As they keep forcing down our throats that season 9 was all new and a fresh start, I treated it as a 1st season and hoping the writers will be better as they learn more about Mitchell and where the current theme is going, so I still hold out hope that it can only get better.

And I can't believe I wrote all that even after I said I don't want a debate

Comment

So... How do we go about this? Short and sweet? I mean, some intern is gonna be opening them right? And they'll be looking for the crux of the letter to be clearly stated?

How about...

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm a big fan of Stargate SG-1. Thanks for eight great years of quality television. In the event that future SG-1 episodes will indeed be airing during the 2007-2008 season, please BRING BACK RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON to do more episodes for the series. Please do not misunderstand this request: I do not wish to see more of Richard Dean Anderson within the franchise. No, specifically, if he could remain primarily with the show on which he started, that would be fantastic.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

So-and-So

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
        No, it means he needs time to grow as a character in his own right, and bringing back the well built character he replaced, and all the fans want is going to pull what attention he does get back to the orignal SG1.
        But, Mitchell didn't replace Jack. Yes, Ben and Neau replaced a void left by RDA - but Mitchell didn't replace Jack, and Jack returning will not overshadow Mitchell because they have very different roles.

I think you are giving RDA too much power here, and are disempowering the character of Mitchell. If Mitchell can't hold his own with a character that will always embody to a point SG-1, I don't know if Mitchell is character enough to be on the show.

As were finding with Atlantis, having a large number of cast is going to detract from growing characters, and the story.
        The problem with Atlantis isn't the large cast, it's the fact that the stories written only revolve around a small number of them.

Babylon 5 is a perfect example of a show with a 'large cast' who manged to showcase story and character (of course, they had a specific arc, but hey), making it possible to do. Just because it hasn't happened yet on Atlantis, doesn't mean it can't happen.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
          Babylon 5 is a perfect example of a show with a 'large cast' who manged to showcase story and character (of course, they had a specific arc, but hey), making it possible to do. Just because it hasn't happened yet on Atlantis, doesn't mean it can't happen.
          Ah, you stole my example. Two differences, though - at no given episode were all cast members in all episodes, except for the main four (Sheridan/Sinclaire, Ivanova, Garibaldi and Delenn). The rest were usually contracted for only 8-10 episodes a season. The second, that much of the of the rest of the 7-8 characters were in quite an equal status to a stargate recurring characters. That being said, it is more htan possible to write the show with multiple characters. The problem with Atlantis isn't 6 leads - it's the facts that the main writers of Atlantis aren't interested in all of them equally. MG admitted in an interview McKay is his favourite character - and indeed, McKay is probably the most developed 3D character of he bunch.

For the arguement at hand, I think it definitely can be done on SG1, as it seems (yes, I know some will disagree...) that all characters interest the majority of writers in more-or-less the same way, and they are more likely to find their way in. As for RDA, I would love to see him guest-starring more on SG1 - I was quite disappointed that out of the 5 promised episodes 3 are Atlantis. He won't be a regular again, and that's okay. Mitchell should be developed, and that will happen. I don't think a guest-spot of RDA on an episode will trouble the development of Mitchell because they won't fulfill the same function.
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
          X