This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blitz
    "And to suggest that bringing Jack back cheapens Mitchell in some way somehow intimates that the characters are on equal footing as lead characters...and on that topic I disagree entirely. Mitchell is so completely out of his league with the other three it's not even funny."

Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that Teal'c, Jackson and Carter have 8/9 years of character development, where as Mitchell has erm...very little?

"I think they're scared that having Jack around...even minimally...will highlight what a trainwreck and mismatch Mitchell is on the show because Jack fits so seemlessly and effortlessly and Mitchell just...doesn't."

LMAO! I like Mitchell, I like how hes not perfect. Personally I think Season 9 was great, why? Because it was new. It wasnt Jack making jokes and one liners and the normal Sg1 thing. We didnt have the same old enemies and same old Jack lines like we would of if he was still around.

Blitz x
    But you see many of us liked Jack O'Neill's snarky one liners. And again, I have no problem with A new direction. Change can be good and the show needed to adapt and change. What I'm saying is that I immensely dislike the changes they made. New and different does not equate to better.

You're clearly a fan of this new direction and I'm happy for you. I think this new direction is hamfisted. I think Mitchell as a character has been written very poorly. They pinned a medal on him and made him a hero and tried to cram him into the deep end in a leading role that simply doesn't fit. The fact that he doesn't have the 9 years of story should have been a good enough reason to not throw him to the fore so abruptly. The story should have been about the team, not about Mitchell (a guy we didn't know) getting his deepest wish fulfilled. Further I feel the reason for his involvement on the team is weak and contrived. You like it...I don't. We're not going to agree on this issue.

But then again, this is not the place to discuss the pros or cons of Mitchell. This is about Richard Dean Anderson hopefully making many more appearances on the show.

There are already several threads out there discussing Mitchell and his "contributions" to the show and to the team.
    Last edited by Uber; 12 June 2006, 02:11 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I personally want RDA as a guest character on the show. It's good to have the original lead stop by every once and awhile. Speaking of lead, It would be equally as good to see General Hammond more
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
        I personally want RDA as a guest character on the show. It's good to have the original lead stop by every once and awhile. Speaking of lead, It would be equally as good to see General Hammond more
        Absolutely.

I miss Hammond. It was nice seeing him last year but it was weird seeing him
        Spoiler:
        out of uniform. We had only seen him like that a couple times in 7 years.

So do we have addresses and names to whom we should address our "Please let RDA make more than 2 frelling guest appearances" letters?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

MGM just bought back their shares from Sony, so don't write to Sony.

ADDRESSES FOR STARGATE

Brad Wright, Executive Producer/Writer/Series Co-Creator
          Robert C. Cooper, Executive Producer
          Joseph Mallozzi, Executive Producer
          Paul Mullie, Executive Producer
          Damian Kindler, Writer/Supervising Producer
          N. John Smith, Producer
          Martin Wood, Director/Co-Producer
          Andy Mikita, Producer
          Peter DeLuise, Producer

Stargate Productions
          2400 Boundary Road
          Burnaby, B.C.
          V5M 3Z3
          Canada

The Sci-Fi Channel
          Attn: Bonnie Hammer, President
          30 Rockefeller Plaza
          New York, NY 10112

The Sci-Fi Channel
          Attn: Mr. Dave Howe, General Manager
          30 Rockefeller Plaza
          New York, NY 10112

Viewer comment line: (212) 413-5000

Fax: (212) 413-6531

Stargate SG-1
          c/o MGM
          2501 Colorado Avenue
          Santa Monica, CA 90404

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc.
          Attn: MGM Television Entertainment
          2500 Broadway St.
          Santa Monica, CA 90404-3061

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
            MGM just bought back their shares from Sony, so don't write to Sony.

ADDRESSES FOR STARGATE

Brad Wright, Executive Producer/Writer/Series Co-Creator
            Robert C. Cooper, Executive Producer
            Joseph Mallozzi, Executive Producer
            Paul Mullie, Executive Producer
            Damian Kindler, Writer/Supervising Producer
            N. John Smith, Producer
            Martin Wood, Director/Co-Producer
            Andy Mikita, Producer
            Peter DeLuise, Producer

Stargate Productions
            2400 Boundary Road
            Burnaby, B.C.
            V5M 3Z3
            Canada

The Sci-Fi Channel
            Attn: Bonnie Hammer, President
            30 Rockefeller Plaza
            New York, NY 10112

The Sci-Fi Channel
            Attn: Mr. Dave Howe, General Manager
            30 Rockefeller Plaza
            New York, NY 10112

Viewer comment line: (212) 413-5000

Fax: (212) 413-6531

Stargate SG-1
            c/o MGM
            2501 Colorado Avenue
            Santa Monica, CA 90404

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc.
            Attn: MGM Television Entertainment
            2500 Broadway St.
            Santa Monica, CA 90404-3061

Morjana

Thank you Morjana, oh so very much.

So MGM are/is/still the owners of MGM. Very cool.

Comment

Thank you! Morjana, for the info! I only hope this had reached the right people.

I noticed that the thread was moved. I posted in the general forum only because I didn't think of it as a news item.. but more of an appeal to the fans to write for more RDA appearances as he was quoted to welcome letters asking for his return (in a guest star capacity). Oh well.

Thanks also goes to everyone who replied with their response! All good points by all : ) and I hope some of you are gonna write those letters!

ETA: I am finding it disturbing that this thread was moved to a news forum (which I still don't see the connection, but someone will show me, I'm sure) while the one from someone trying to sell his boxsets remain in general.
              Last edited by nyxlily; 12 June 2006, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                Thank you! Morjana, for the info! I only hope this had reached the right people.

I noticed that the thread was moved. I posted in the general forum only because I didn't think of it as a news item.. but more of an appeal to the fans to write for more RDA appearances as he was quoted to welcome letters asking for his return (in a guest star capacity). Oh well.

Thanks also goes to everyone who replied with their response! All good points by all : ) and I hope some of you are gonna write those letters!

ETA: I am finding it disturbing that this thread was moved to a news forum (which I still don't see the connection, but someone will show me, I'm sure) while the one from someone trying to sell his boxsets remain in general.
                I think it's considered "newsworthy" because you're essentially reporting that Richard Dean Anderson WANTS to be in more episodes and is asking for our help to that end.

Thanks for this info by the way.

Comment

Yes, the fanbase miss him, but that should not alter the fact that this is a new SG1, a new story, a new journey, yes - bring him back, but don't bring him back this much, so that it cheapens his leaving and the introduction of Mitchell.
                  Interesting that an ingrained character has the ability to 'lesson' anew character. What does that say about Mitchell if this logic is true? To me that implies that Mitchell's character is weak, and therefore is no match to Jack's. Is that your contention? If so, I disagree.

And I am all for this campain, I both love and miss Jack and would love to see more of him. Will start writing.

Add to that while SG-1 is going in a new direction, I don't see it being new and sparkly. And even if it was, Jack will always be a part of SG-1, so I don't see how him coming back has the ability to ruin or cheapen anything...

IMHO of course.
                  Last edited by Deevil; 12 June 2006, 07:23 PM.
                  Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I would definitely be for more Jack appearances in the future on SG-1. I'd really love to see more interaction between O'Neill and Mitchell.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
                      Speaking of lead, It would be equally as good to see General Hammond more
                      I couldn't agree more with that. Landry is great IMO, but no one can ever truly replace General Hammond.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily

You're very welcome.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                          Interesting that an ingrained character has the ability to 'lesson' anew character. What does that say about Mitchell if this logic is true? To me that implies that Mitchell's character is weak, and therefore is no match to Jack's. Is that your contention? If so, I disagree.

And I am all for this campain, I both love and miss Jack and would love to see more of him. Will start writing.

Add to that while SG-1 is going in a new direction, I don't see it being new and sparkly. And even if it was, Jack will always be a part of SG-1, so I don't see how him coming back has the ability to ruin or cheapen anything...

IMHO of course.
                          It means that an older character with a MUCH larger background and history, as well as fanbase kinda over shadows a NEW character with alot less...
                          Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

It means that an older character with a MUCH larger background and history, as well as fanbase kinda over shadows a NEW character with alot less...
                            So it means you don't think Mitchell's character has the ability to stand up against Jack's... And I think that downplays the differences of the characters and makes Mitchell sound shallow and weak. If anything, that does nothing but suggest that Mitchell is not capable of being on a team where 3 of the characters have the same amount of background as Jack.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I think there is an interesting oportunity here for the Stargate Series with both Richard Dean Anderson and Don Davis making future appearances. - One weakness for me in the Trek series (I am a Trekker and a Gater) was that none of the Admiralty had any long term history. An actor would be cast as an admiral, make a few appearances and move on. I can think of only one exception form TNG, DS9 and VGR respectively. - Here in the Stargate Universe that is different, as both Hammond and O'Neill have a lot of history and lore behind them, and are now very infulential players from Washington. (I am uncertain if General Hammond is retired or not at this point!)
                              As a result, there is nothing (Productioncommitments notwithstanding) to stop both actors turning up now and again to give a sharper perspective of what the higher ups in the US Air Force are doing and expect from the SCC, and to a lesser degree, Atlantis. So providing the actors themselves are willing, and the storyline makes sense, lets have them popping up now and again, to provide information, orders and support to their subordinates.

As for Mitchell, its early days! Ben Browder is a great actor, and his character is one with a good backstory already, but one which we haven't been given too much on due to the current pressing storylines involving the Ori. I think the character and actor both fit in well, and bring some nice new dynamics to what is going on. As does Claudia Black as Vala!
                              Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                              Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                                So it means you don't think Mitchell's character has the ability to stand up against Jack's... And I think that downplays the differences of the characters and makes Mitchell sound shallow and weak. If anything, that does nothing but suggest that Mitchell is not capable of being on a team where 3 of the characters have the same amount of background as Jack.
                                No, it means he needs time to grow as a character in his own right, and bringing back the well built character he replaced, and all the fans want is going to pull what attention he does get back to the orignal SG1.

I dont mind RDA coming back for one or two eps, but what has been cast down for, 5? IF I remember correctly, I read he'll play an important part in this little bit hes in...which is just going to make the fanbase winge more, like they were for him to come back more...

As were finding with Atlantis, having a large number of cast is going to detract from growing characters, and the story.
                                Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Working...
                                X