No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the 1/6 scale Beckett heads are done by Sculptor Ada. Although I have never bought them myself, I have heard good things about her work.

Re arms and legs Stubba, on a 7th inch scale, the neck, shoulder, pelvic and ankle joints are a yes they are ball joints usually. Elbow and knee joints are different though because the pin joints are sealed after assembled. I would not risk opening them up, just literally swap out entire leg or arm units. The 1/6 scale + figures may be different? Mooney or Blues would be the best to ask on that score!
    Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 01 August 2012, 01:18 PM.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Already have the 12 inch Beckett and Sheppard from her. I want to add a McKay to them but she wants a lot of money so that after the over two hundred dollar payment to make the head she can sell them herself. I tried to get other people that wanted McKay heads (I was the 2nd one to try this) to share the costs (would need 10 or more people at 25 dollars each plus what she charges for the head) but there wasn't enough of us to spread out the cost to have it made.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
        OK, the 1/6 scale Beckett heads are done by Sculptor Ada. Although I have never bought them myself, I have heard good things about her work.

Re arms and legs Stubba, on a 7th inch scale, the neck, shoulder, pelvic and ankle joints are a yes they are ball joints usually. Elbow and knee joints are different though because the pin joints are sealed after assembled. I would not risk opening them up, just literally swap out entire leg or arm units. The 1/6 scale + figures may be different? Mooney or Blues would be the best to ask on that score!
        Thanks TB2, all the answers to my questions again. This is what I thought but hoped there would be a different answer out there.
        sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

Originally posted by Timespirt View Post
          Already have the 12 inch Beckett and Sheppard from her. I want to add a McKay to them but she wants a lot of money so that after the over two hundred dollar payment to make the head she can sell them herself. I tried to get other people that wanted McKay heads (I was the 2nd one to try this) to share the costs (would need 10 or more people at 25 dollars each plus what she charges for the head) but there wasn't enough of us to spread out the cost to have it made.
          I agree, I made the mistake of sending an email request to here for character heads in 7" scale and nearly fell of the chair when the email quote came back at $230 per head, as you said she wants the buyer to completely fund the production and then go on to reap the benefit of continuing to sell them and make more money at a lower cost, I asked if she had ever heard of cost dollar averaging and didn't get a response. The "thats my face" site were much more reasonable, but the postage is a bit obscene at $40 for something that weighs ounces. When I start getting these new toys I bought to work properly, (I become competent) I will offer them to members at what they cost me to make, as I am not trying to grind a living out of it.
          sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

I see she charges 600 dollars for exclusive sculpts and 230 for just sculpt with rights to sell but you know (for exclusive) after about 6 months or so that she would say that someone else wanted one made at the 230 level and she would be selling them.

And I will take you up on that offer when you do start making them! I'll also be looking for other characters as well in the 7" size as well because they should have made them of all the major cast from both shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Timespirt View Post
              I see she charges 600 dollars for exclusive sculpts and 230 for just sculpt with rights to sell but you know (for exclusive) after about 6 months or so that she would say that someone else wanted one made at the 230 level and she would be selling them.

And I will take you up on that offer when you do start making them! I'll also be looking for other characters as well in the 7" size as well because they should have made them of all the major cast from both shows.
              Would you want raw or painted?
              I am also working on a scale Staff weapon (unlike the DST offering) made from a luminescent plastic that will allow the weapon head to glow like a charged staff, this should be cool if it all works out fine. And I am about half way to producing a SGA gate in scale for my DST figures, this is taking a bit due to the size. I am also doing the SGA gate as a set of coaster, with an awsome "real water" ripple effect over a HD event horizon photo, the QMX ones are good but based on what I have been able to achieve in prototyping mine will be much better.
              Last edited by Stubba2; 03 August 2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I would want painted, I'm not good with painting. Keep talking because you know I'm going to want all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't mind an SGA gate and I was also never lucky enough to get my hands on an SG-1 gate myself if you ever make those. Can't wait to see what the stuff looks like. The staff weapon sounds great for my Teal'c.

Comment

I was just browsing the One Sixth Warriors forum when I spotted a thread about a bunch of custom SGA 12 inch figures: http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ntis-cast.html

They're amazing... you have to check them out!!!
                  Last edited by highwayman57; 09 August 2012, 03:28 AM.
                  David

Comment

Hi Guys,
                    I am seeking info on colours.
                    I am doing a custom O'Neill at the moment in dress uniform.
                    The colours I am after are USAF blue 1549 (dress uniform/tie/hat) and winter blue (used for the shirt). Has anyone found a supplier that offers similar colours or if you have found a formula that works well either would save me allot of trial and error. I have already spent 6 hours surfing the net doing colour research and it's doing my head in.

thanks in advance
                    Last edited by Stubba2; 25 August 2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Excellent customs, love the jack apophis and 60's Te'. would you be willing to share what paint you used to get the dress blues for jack?

Comment

Originally posted by Stubba2 View Post
                        I have a novice modeller question to all you expert model poppers. Is it possible to separate articulated joints (elbows and knees) that are joined with some sort of plastic pin, without damaging the pin/joint. I want to make a 3d model (but don't want to destroy the original) of each section so I can model them in my modelling software at the correct scale, this will also allow me to make slightly chubbier versions for characters like General Hammond, Urgo and the last Ori preacher to visit earth.
                        I have found the answer to this question I asked a while back and noting others in the past have had issues with elbow pins etc... I am posting two links. The credit and thanks for this info goes to Jin Saotome.
                        http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsao...eralGuide.html
                        It has a custom modellers guide to pulling apart and popping heads, apendages and joints and even body shells. Allot of the content is marvel toy related but it still works, I have tried it on one of my Weir figures On this site there is also a guide to Frankensteining (for want of a better term) various figures from different manufacturers to create custom bodies for your characters.
                        And this one again by Jin with general customising tutorials.
                        http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com/guides.html
                        Happy modelling/customising hope this helps.
                        Last edited by Stubba2; 26 August 2012, 06:49 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

In my browsing I have noted that there is a 12" Skinner in the X-files series that would serve nicely as the base for a col Cadwell if anyone wanted to customise him. Thought it would be nice to know Mitch Pileggi was already commercially cast.

Comment

I am amazed how good these customs are, I cant image myself attempting this without ruining the figures especially when it comes to painting.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spratty View Post
                              I am amazed how good these customs are, I cant image myself attempting this without ruining the figures especially when it comes to painting.
                              try the link i put in it tells you how to paint like this

Comment

Ok since no one can give me the info on the blue uniform shade for a US Air Force uniform I have bought a tie from a uniform supplier to get it colour matched. I will post the formula when it arrives from the US, in case anyone else wants the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X