No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, just found that www.goodstufftogo.net has the neck adapter too, and for only $2.50-- see here http://www.goodstufftogo.net/html/bo...p?ItemID=18257
    David

Comment

I haven't made many custom figures, but I got enough parts for a couple of Beckett figures for me and my friends and decided to use some of my spare parts to give Paul McGillion one too. I think he was fairly impressed, and I managed to get a picture of it with him at Chicago Comic Con if anybody cares to see it... This picture is the only one I took there that turned out absolutely perfect for some reason.

Spoiler:

Comment

Hey Jersey great shot hope you got him to sign it or a stand

Comment

No, I gave it to him, so now it's his. I got him to sign my posters instead.

Comment

Hi folks,

I am faced with a repair that I haven't dealt with before. Last Decemeber my T-shirt Jack took a spill, snapping the neck stem. I did the boil, did a fix and thought I had it done. Ends out the fix wasn't so great, so yesterday I fixed the fix. That envolved multiple boils. During one of the boils I noticed that the right elbow had (for lack of a better term) swollen. Just after the last boil, sure enough, one of the joint caps dislodged. Seems that the heat caused expansion differences between the plexy joint and the surrounding plastic, causing the (probably already damaged) plexy to give.

The neck stem was just substantial enough to drill, but required a steady hand. The elbow joint stem is at best maybe one third the thickness of the neck stem. It would take more skill and steadiness than I think these shakey hands of mine are currently capable of managing. Even so, I can not think of a support thin and strong enough to do any good. That leaves replacing the stem, I guess(?).

I can think of a unattractive fix or two, but they would leave something to be desired.

If anyone has done a fix on an DST elbow, please let me know your method and results.

Many thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
              I can think of a unattractive fix or two, but they would leave something to be desired.

If anyone has done a fix on an DST elbow, please let me know your method and results.
              Instead of going to the trouble of trying to fix it (which may not be satisfactory and cause more problems too), why not replace the figure? CornerStore Comics has the 12 inch O'Neill figures on clearance for only $15. Here's a link-- http://cornerstorecomics.com/index.c...TOKEN=10509213

Also, you should NEVER boil a figure like that-- instead, use either hot tap water or a hairdryer to remove/replace heads on figures. The vinyl that's used on the vast majority of figure heads will soften at a temperature far lower than that of boiling water. Once the vinyl head is soft, it's fairly easy to remove from the neckpost.

Hope this helps,
              David
              David

Comment

David,

I have a back-up figure or two, but this one is special. I'm not prone to thowing him out any time soon. If he can be fixed, I'd like to fix him.

The problem wasn't removing the head, it was removing a broken ball-stem joint.

I've had problems removing a ball joint (the broken remains thereof) from heads and bodies before, if they were not hot enough. If removing a broken joint were not involved, you'd probably be right. The strength of an undamaged joint held in the body would certainly make it much easier.

Thanks.

Comment

Got an email update from BlackOps Toys-- they've got a very nice tactical vest parted out from a Loading Toys figure that looks very much like the vests used on Stargate Atlantis. It's only $16 plus postage. Check it out-- http://blackopstoys.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1304
                  Last edited by highwayman57; 10 September 2010, 12:22 PM.
                  David

Comment

Nice one Jersey!

I was secretly hoping that one of us would get the chance to do this at some stage! Its also cool you went down the Black Ops road with the figure, as Mr McGillion got to do most his on screen running around as Beckett while wearing the the Black Ops costumes.

Well done!

Originally posted by Jersey13 View Post
                    I haven't made many custom figures, but I got enough parts for a couple of Beckett figures for me and my friends and decided to use some of my spare parts to give Paul McGillion one too. I think he was fairly impressed, and I managed to get a picture of it with him at Chicago Comic Con if anybody cares to see it... This picture is the only one I took there that turned out absolutely perfect for some reason.

Spoiler:
                    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

I took a video capture of the opening titles from the first episode of the season 5 DVD set, cleaned it up, and created a Stargate SG-1 logo. I'm going to use it to print out a water-slide decal for the base of a figure stand for my custom O'Neill figure. It prints out better than it looks on a computer screen and is more accurate than a logo created with the Stargate font that's available on the internet. LMK what you think of it!

Last edited by highwayman57; 17 September 2010, 08:25 AM.
                      David

Comment

Gonna start using the recent SG1 12 inch headsculpts that I purchased . . . wondered if anyone had used a base body for Carter that didnt need the headsculpt re-sculpting ?

Anyone ?

Thx

Comment

I didn't get one of the Carter heads, but I *think* it's made to fit a Dragon female body.
                          David

Comment

Hey Mooncat,

I am in the same boat! The neck adapter I bought will not fit the Carter's tiny neck. Was thinking about just getting a female dragon body because those sculpts were made for those.

Hsa anyone done a 1:6 Ronon or Teyla custom? I bought a Hellboy coat for Ronon but that is all I have. I was thinking a HT Truetype Cuban for Teyla.

Comment

I bought the Triad Evo body (well pre-ordered and its been lying round until I found a use) so Im using that for Carter but had to do some dremmel modding to the sculpt and then fix it in place with epoxy putty (milliput)

Have to smooth down the rough and paint but its doing the job

Heres some pics

Comment

Looks good Mooncat, I have to get going on finishing my SG-1 set. All I have to do is get the sculpts painted and get them on the bodies. Sometime, I want to get an Atlantis team.

Comment

Working...
                                X