No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres the semi finished (need to apply the arm patches) John Sheppard BDU's from Mazojedi

Comment

Here's the next phase of prototypes, contact me for further information if interested...
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome stuff John

Comment

I've been sidetracked by lots of stuff, real life as well as hobbies, but now I've decided to finally try and finish up my figures so that they look the way I want them. Mainly touching up the painting and fixing some "shaving accidents" ( removed the stubble from Rodney and Shep, ended up removing some of the painting as well ).

So now I'm wondering what kind of paint and paintbrushes to use. Living in Sweden, I'm not sure if I can get the exact brands ( at least not for a sane amount of money ) but the "type" of paint would help too. As I said, it's the faces of the figures, touching up some of their accessories, and the chevrons on the Pegasus gate. I'm using my figures for creating photographic stories/jokes/whatever, so it needs to be paint that doesn't come off when you handle them.

Another question: I want to re-paint the eyes of a figure in a different colour ( a custom ) and I have lousy motor skills. Any advice? A normal paint brush is way too big to use.

And: What other series of figures are compatible with the Stargate ones for head-swapping? I've seen Buffy mentioned, and I'm waiting for more material to try a custom with a Buffy head, but do all the others on DST's site work too? And any others, from other companies?

What I really want, is a Beckett and a Zelenka figure, created by head-swapping and minor re-painting, since I have no motor skills for anything else. Any advice? ( I saw a custom Beckett on eBay, but I was bidding on other stuff then, and needed to save my money. )

Also: Are there any sites or forums about customizing this kind of figures? I know there are for 12" figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
            I've been sidetracked by lots of stuff, real life as well as hobbies, but now I've decided to finally try and finish up my figures so that they look the way I want them. Mainly touching up the painting and fixing some "shaving accidents" ( removed the stubble from Rodney and Shep, ended up removing some of the painting as well ).

So now I'm wondering what kind of paint and paintbrushes to use. Living in Sweden, I'm not sure if I can get the exact brands ( at least not for a sane amount of money ) but the "type" of paint would help too. As I said, it's the faces of the figures, touching up some of their accessories, and the chevrons on the Pegasus gate. I'm using my figures for creating photographic stories/jokes/whatever, so it needs to be paint that doesn't come off when you handle them.

Another question: I want to re-paint the eyes of a figure in a different colour ( a custom ) and I have lousy motor skills. Any advice? A normal paint brush is way too big to use.

And: What other series of figures are compatible with the Stargate ones for head-swapping? I've seen Buffy mentioned, and I'm waiting for more material to try a custom with a Buffy head, but do all the others on DST's site work too? And any others, from other companies?

What I really want, is a Beckett and a Zelenka figure, created by head-swapping and minor re-painting, since I have no motor skills for anything else. Any advice? ( I saw a custom Beckett on eBay, but I was bidding on other stuff then, and needed to save my money. )

Also: Are there any sites or forums about customizing this kind of figures? I know there are for 12" figures.

Oh crikey, where to start?!

1) Paint and brushes. In simple terms, Games Workshop / Warhammer style quick drying paints. (As depicted here) http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle=

The paints are quick drying, but critically more important, they have the same texture / tones / style as the paints DST use on the figures, so they should blend in with officially made figures. If GamesW don't exist in Sweden, then there must be an equivalent. Brushes should be fine bristled in several different sizes, from drop sized, right down to extra fine thin.

2) Painting techniques, / tips / advice. The best option there is search for such articles on Google. - It could take forever to try to explain otherwise. I tapped in "painting action figures" and it came up with these:

http://www.ironcowprod.com/features/painting.html
            http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php
            http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsao...ntingTips.html

3) Custom Beckett and Zelenka. - I am doing my own research on Beckett, if I get anywhere I will update you. Zelenka? Instinct tells me using a Jackson head might be a good place to start heavily modified with Milliput. However, Jackson is getting harder and harder to pin down. - I'll do some research if I get time.
            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Thanks! That's a lot of great info! We do have Games Workshop and Warhammer stuff in Sweden, so that should be easy to get!

Comment

If the Beckett you saw was the same one I'm thinking of I believe it was made with a Buffy Giles head, perhaps with a little work to the hair. It was a really great idea, I have one in pieces that is waiting to be finished up. I did a Zelekna figure (though the likeness is a bit of a stretch) but he only made it to 90% done.

As for headswaps, figures from Mezco (Heroes, etc) also work as well as Battlestar Galactica. Nothing is guaranteed though, I bought a Buffy figure to use for a Janet Fraiser and the head was too small to use. But you're generally pretty safe with those.

Happy customizing!
                Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

I know the one you are thinking of Blues, and you are right -

I asked the seller, it was a "Giles from Chosen" head they used. They noted they had to make modifications though. - What they were was not specified.
                  Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                  Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Great custom guys. I was wonder if someone can sale me two cast heads, one of daniel jackson could it be the one with anubis or the first one and a head of Cameron Mitchell. I got the bodies but no heads, I always pay with paypal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobtheodd View Post
                      Not a figure, but I didn't know where to post it. Been working on this in between my custom work. Travelers/Ronon gun: I did not make this, I got it off Ebay, it's a resin model kit. I put it together and painted it. Its about %80 done right now.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2807/img0860im.jpg

What do you think?
                      P.S. Never heard anything about the Fraiser, is it that bad?
                      I have a resin model of Ronon's gun...

I made it myself

Comment

Received my Mazojedi Custom SGA BDU's heres some pics

Comment

Somebody shrunk Joe! Those BDUs look fantastic, all the better with the rest of the gear. Awesome pics, you can really see the beautiful paintwork by Les.
                          Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Been displaying this for a while but heres the SSC Anubis 'Enviroment'

Comment

Oh that is beautiful, Mooncat!

I did not want to wait any longer for the General O'Neill figure to be made, so I made my own dress blues Jack. The base figure is a Wesley figure in grey suit from the Buffy-line (which came with the suit case that leans against Jack's desk and also the book shelf I think)

The thank for this idea and much help with details goes to Roll my blues!. Here are finally some pictures:

The little picture of RDA (Jack?) and his brothers was made by Fandango at RDAnderson.com as a gift for me. Finally I found a place for it! (The frame is a bead)

Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Here's just 2 pics of my latest work, the rest can be seen on facebook, just search for gatecreator or john carter!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X