No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've got me there, the buttons are too big. But after much struggle that is honestly the best I could come up with. My attempts at sculpting them proved horrendous.

I did take some in-progress shots of this one but I lost everything off my memory card so it was all for nothing. Although I could always take a shot of Sam standing beside RepliCarter for comparison. The short list is that I shortened the jacket, shaved off any redundant fabric folds and seams, sculpted in the necessary features of the jacket, repainted and added the ribbons and badges. It seems like so little work on paper, yet it took me forever to complete.
    Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Hi again,
      I have successfully made the molds for the P90s. I now need to try and cast some up to test out if my mold will work for making a bunch of them. I'll let you know how my results are with casting.

Regarding the 1/6 (which are indeed the 12" figures), I modified desert uniforms and through various "kitbashing" type efforts, made the vests. I scanned and shrunk dowm my own patches to scale and I used the Dragon P90s, as they are the most accurate 1/6 ones out there. Regaring head sculpts, it was kind of luck of the draw. I used figures that have a reasonable resemblance to the characters. there really aren't one out there that are dead on for any of the actors, but I have a reasonable likeness for Tealc and for Jack (not perfect, but passable) I still need to sculpt the Jaffa gold embossed first prime mark for Tealc's forehead. I am working on black ops uniforms and have an SG-3 team in MARPAT uniforms.
      - Dave

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
        You've got me there, the buttons are too big. But after much struggle that is honestly the best I could come up with. My attempts at sculpting them proved horrendous.
        I think she looks incredible!!
        Thank you for the “how-to” recipe, I was wondering how you did it.
        As for the buttons? A thought…. See if you can find any straight pins or small nails that have heads that would be the right size.
        Clip ‘em off about 1/8” , so you have enough to insert and glue in the figure.
        Just a thought…
        Might work…
        Originally posted by roll my blues
        do Sam's breasts look bigger than in previous prototypes?

Comment

Originally posted by Norrin View Post
          See if you can find any straight pins or small nails that have heads that would be the right size.
          DUDE! That's it! I should have come to you guys sooner. Would have saved me a lot of headache. I'm going to have a look around and make changes to those buttons. With the proper size i can add the ones at the shoulder as well.

And thanks for using the word incredible. Haha, made my day.

PS How's Hathor progressing?
          Last edited by roll my blues; 21 July 2007, 12:39 PM. Reason: PS
          Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
            PS How's Hathor progressing?
            30+ hours overtime this last payperiod.
            Plus the time I’ve been putting in trying to get the other business "off the ground".
            I haven’t had time to breathe, much less work on customs.
            But I do pick up the pieces of her every other day to keep the ideas fresh.
            Maybe this weekend……
            On the upside, with all that OT, I can afford Series4 & SGA Series1 now.

Comment

Man, you sound like my friend. 'Killing yourself to live', hah.
              Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
              http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

This is my first custom which isn't really a real custom, just a bunch of popping off figures parts and putting them on a different figure. A figure I like to call Bad-Ass Daniel Jackson.

The reasoning behind this figure is this, I had head swapped Black-Ops Daniel with normal Off-World Mitchell, just like Beckmen, because I missed getting Off-World Daniel when it first came out so I wanted to get something as close as I could to Off-World Daniel. But then the infamous Michell hand problem happened.

First, it just started with taking Black-Ops Daniel's legs off and switching them with Mitchell's green ones. Then I thought to just switch torsos without the arms to make it look like Daniel was just wearing a vest. All in all, I think it looks pretty good.

Pics:

With Combat Vest

Without Combat Vest

Left Over Pieces

Comment

Pretty cool. And unique.

I am still waiting for people to start doing some elaborate kit-bashing. Using other DST lines, as well. I was perusing the Buffy line. You could make a Daniel Jackson in business suit, I think. Also with some paint and maybe some sculpting, Cam Mitchell: Bounty Hunter. (Which IMO would have made a good Previews Exlusive for Series 3, and unlike Avalon Vala I would have bought it)
                  Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!

Comment

Originally posted by Pyroth View Post
                    A figure I like to call Bad-Ass Daniel Jackson.
                    I like it. Puts me in mind of ripple effect team member. Good job.

Originally posted by Beckmen View Post
                    Pretty cool. And unique.

I am still waiting for people to start doing some elaborate kit-bashing. Using other DST lines, as well. I was perusing the Buffy line. You could make a Daniel Jackson in business suit, I think. Also with some paint and maybe some sculpting, Cam Mitchell: Bounty Hunter. (Which IMO would have made a good Previews Exlusive for Series 3, and unlike Avalon Vala I would have bought it)
                    I would be interested to know if anyone has played around with this much, Buffy line or otherwise. While they have different sculptors the buffy/gate lines do have a small level of compatibility. I only have a couple of free buffy figures however, and can't really state too much with conviction. I have an idea for a Janet figure but I haven't had the opportunity to explore it yet.

Comment

McFarlane to release “Egyptian” Themed series:
                      http://www.spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=13170
                      Spawn Series 33 - Age of Pharaohs (due in stores March 2008)
                      Set in the time of the Egyptians a new Spawn rises to meet his destiny. Features six all new sculpts.
                      • Osiris
                      • Isis
                      • Anubis
                      • Soldier of Ra
                      • Scarab Assassin
                      • Sebek

Could be some good custom & setup fodder coming out here!!

Comment

I assume these will all be monsters with huge muscles and stuff...

Comment

Any updates on the P90 cast? My teams need weapons.

Comment

Not a figure but a custom.
                            Last edited by rowie4life; 26 August 2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

That rules! What did you make it out of?

Comment

Woah! That's AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                                X