This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer View Post
    Patience is a virtue... as someone with no life to look forward to once said

As for the publication date, well, we're still on track But just in case, I'm waving to my friends at UPS again
    ::snort:: I love your eloquence! And by the way, Alipeeps, I'm so with you on Moonlight!

Uhm, I've got eight organic (yes! Organic! You'd think these guys would know better!) tomato stickers on offer. Want me to bring them to Vancouver?

Patience is so overrated!! I was never known to have any anyways. I still have the date marked on my calendar. In ink.

Ah, waving to the UPS folks....
    sigpic

Comment

::snort:: I love your eloquence! And by the way, Alipeeps, I'm so with you on Moonlight!
      I blame you utterly - you and your tantalising, teasing excerpt - for my lack of eloquence. You broke my brain!

P.S. I am sooooo into Moonlight right now. I love this damn show. Tell me you've seen episode 13 - Fated to Pretend? Wow. Just... WOW!!
      sigpic

Comment

And seeing as I promised it a while ago: there's now an extract up on my website, for anyone who's interested. Click on the Mirror Mirror cover.
        You are an evil women! Evil, I tell you! That was a fantastic read. And a very addictive one at that. I'm not really fond of reading prose on the PC screen but that kept me riveted. I really liked the use of Before I Sleep as basis for an AU. I canne wait for the novel.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hi lightsyder, hi Everybody!

Long time no message, so long in fact that the system apparently gave up on me, with the result that I had to finagle my way back in, complete with changed email address and forgotten user name. Warning: Only trained professionals should try this in a state of residual hangover!

So, yes, reports of my demise have been exaggerated.

Thing is, I tend to revert to a sullenly uncommunicative state when I'm writing. I also growl. However--and here is where at least one answer to your question comes in, lightsyder--just before Christmas Mirror, Mirror was delivered, and a nice, healthy 120-odd K baby it is. After a term of pregnancy that would have startled an elephant...

I mean, I'm not exactly the fastest writer on God's green Earth, but that was verging on the ridiculous, even by my standards. Mind you, a couple of weeks ago or so, I had to condense the whole plot into a nice, tidy outline for MGM, which was roughly the point when it dawned on me just how complex the story actually was... I guess that explains it.

Once we're nearer the time--Mirror, Mirror is slotted to be published in August this year--I'll hopefully be able to post a teaser, but for the time being, here's a blurb, to give you a little taster at least:

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The Atlantis expedition find out the hard way when an Ancient prodigy offers them Charybdis, a device capable of disposing of the Wraith. The experiment fails disastrously, threatening to unravel the very fabric of the Pegasus Galaxy and possibly the entire universe. Dr. Weir, Dr. Zelenka, Colonel Sheppard and his team each are isolated and trapped in an alternate version of Atlantis, fighting for their lives and sanity. As they slowly begin to understand what has happened, they must enter a desperate race against time and themselves in order to escape from a maddening tangle of alternate realities and return to their own Atlantis to undo the damage Charybdis has done before it becomes irreversible.

And yes, I said it was finished before Christmas, didn't I? So what have I been doing in the meantime? Well, the very next day after typing 'The End' I headed out to Germany to spend Christmas and New Year and the entire month of January with my family--including quality time with a gaggle of nieces and nephews I only get to see once a year--and once I got back, I had all hands full trying to get my poor dog back to normal, because the kennel she was at sucked six ways from Sunday, and that's putting it mildly. Incidentally, she's not a Clydesdale (nice try, Sonny ), she's a Mastiff. Pocket edition, only about 110 lbs so far. Then again, she's only a year old...

I've also started playing with a new project, non-Stargate, so I'd better not yakk about that too much, else this'll go completely OT.

Anyway, I'm planning to be around again pretty regularly.
          AH! Sabine, I just read the excerpt on your website for Mirror, Mirror and I'm so excited--especially since the snippet featured Elizabeth Weir! August is going to be a long wait.

I really do miss the character and have had a hard time with Season 4, so thanks, all the authors, for giving us Elizabeth fans a few new adventures before she completely disappears as a main character. I hope you'll keep her memory around, if only in the shadows.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Uhm, I've got eight organic (yes! Organic! You'd think these guys would know better!) tomato stickers on offer. Want me to bring them to Vancouver?
            Well, I can't even start to comprehend how an organic sticker would look like (will it even hold till August?, or will it go off? - I have some fabric ones, though), but since you're already there and don't need to cross any borders, where organic things are not allowed and if it is not too heavy a burden, and if we indeed manage to meet in the middle of 1,000 fans, then yes, I'd be interested! Thanks!
            Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              AH! Sabine, I just read the excerpt on your website for Mirror, Mirror and I'm so excited--especially since the snippet featured Elizabeth Weir! August is going to be a long wait.

I really do miss the character and have had a hard time with Season 4, so thanks, all the authors, for giving us Elizabeth fans a few new adventures before she completely disappears as a main character. I hope you'll keep her memory around, if only in the shadows.
              I second those sentiments, and I hope that the Fandemonium novels and short stories through the official magazine will continue full-steam ahead with more of Elizabeth Weir's adventures, even though we'll probably never see or hear of her again on the show after a certain upcoming episode. It's been very good to see the character get more coverage in recent novels, and I don't want to see that end.

Speaking of the short stories for the magazine, I have a question for you about your short story in the latest issue, "Geneaology."

(Spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't read the story yet! ETA: Never mind about the first part of the question, I found the answer in another post, but the second part that's not crossed out...)
              Spoiler:
              I noticed a reference to Charybdis and a trip through multiple timelines... Can we safely assume that "Geneaology" is intended to be a sort of epilogue to "Mirror, Mirror?" About how long after the novel does the short story take place?

I was also really intrigued by the reference to Ikaros and the implication that he's related to Sheppard. I'm looking forward to seeing that explained in the novel. I got such a kick out of seeing Sheppard's little flight of fancy!
              Last edited by Scary Kitty; 08 May 2008, 02:51 PM.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fmvcdaB74S0

Check this out! It's a ad my and a friend of mine did for the Doritos ad competition. We'd appreciate any ratings and comments. As long as they're good!
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry that this took me a while, guys. Was up to my eyeballs in the rewrite of Mirror Mirror. The whole exercise was livened up by a flat tire on the car and a shot shoulder, so all-in-all it's been an interesting week

Anyway, I'll just do this chronologically, shall I? God, I'm soo organized

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                  I blame you utterly - you and your tantalising, teasing excerpt - for my lack of eloquence. You broke my brain!
                  Welcome to my world! I confused the heck out of myself writing this

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                  P.S. I am sooooo into Moonlight right now. I love this damn show. Tell me you've seen episode 13 - Fated to Pretend? Wow. Just... WOW!!
                  Yup! Loved it!!

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                  You are an evil women! Evil, I tell you! That was a fantastic read. And a very addictive one at that. I'm not really fond of reading prose on the PC screen but that kept me riveted. I really liked the use of Before I Sleep as basis for an AU. I canne wait for the novel.
                  Thanks, EAG. I pride myself on my evilness Glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully the rest of the book'll live up to it.

Originally posted by Eri13

I don't think she'll disappear completely--there's always the books And Elizabeth features quite heavily in Mirror Mirror (in more ways than one, so to speak... ). I kinda like taking the usually base-bound characters, like Elizabeth (or Hammond and Janet Fraiser as well), and have them bounce around in the universe a little.

Originally posted by GermanAstra
                  Well, I can't even start to comprehend how an organic sticker would look like (will it even hold till August?, or will it go off? - I have some fabric ones, though)
                  Uh... green?

Fabric stickers? What kinda fruit do you buy, woman? <g>

Originally posted by GermanAstra
                  but since you're already there and don't need to cross any borders, where organic things are not allowed and if it is not too heavy a burden, and if we indeed manage to meet in the middle of 1,000 fans, then yes, I'd be interested! Thanks!
                  I'll see what I can do

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
                  I second those sentiments, and I hope that the Fandemonium novels and short stories through the official magazine will continue full-steam ahead with more of Elizabeth Weir's adventures, even though we'll probably never see or hear of her again on the show after a certain upcoming episode. It's been very good to see the character get more coverage in recent novels, and I don't want to see that end.

Speaking of the short stories for the magazine, I have a question for you about your short story in the latest issue, "Geneaology."

(Spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't read the story yet! ETA: Never mind about the first part of the question, I found the answer in another post, but the second part that's not crossed out...)

Spoiler:
                  I was also really intrigued by the reference to Ikaros and the implication that he's related to Sheppard. I'm looking forward to seeing that explained in the novel. I got such a kick out of seeing Sheppard's little flight of fancy!
                  Hey, I had no idea that 'Genealogy' was out yet! That's what I get for living in the boonies Actually, that story was a lot of fun to do, although I had to switch horses mid-gallop, as it were, because originally I was going to write an SG-1 (missed Jack and the gang ) short story and had already started on it when I got word that they'd prefer an Atlantis story. Sally suggested a teaser for the book, so one thing led to another.

Spoiler:
                  As for the family relationship there, it kinda presented itself, because, gee, that ATA gene had to come from somewhere, right? Stands to reason that Shep has some Ancients climbing around in the family tree. Though he isn't exactly thrilled with this particular relative--then again, neither is anybody else Ikaros is a little bit on the unruly side...

And now I'm taking the Fifth

Comment

Sorry that this took me a while, guys. Was up to my eyeballs in the rewrite of Mirror Mirror. The whole exercise was livened up by a flat tire on the car and a shot shoulder, so all-in-all it's been an interesting week
                    Ouch! Hope your shoulder and your car are okay!

I don't think she'll disappear completely--there's always the books And Elizabeth features quite heavily in Mirror Mirror (in more ways than one, so to speak... ). I kinda like taking the usually base-bound characters, like Elizabeth (or Hammond and Janet Fraiser as well), and have them bounce around in the universe a little.
                    I definitely don't want her to disappear; that she was such a different kind of character from the others was one of the reasons why I watched the show. And it's always good to get to see any of the base-bound characters out of the office and playing with the other kids for a change.

"In more ways than one, so to speak...?" Between that and the evil teaser you posted, I'm on the edge of my seat already! *bounces* And the book's still 3 months away!

Hey, I had no idea that 'Genealogy' was out yet! That's what I get for living in the boonies Actually, that story was a lot of fun to do, although I had to switch horses mid-gallop, as it were, because originally I was going to write an SG-1 (missed Jack and the gang ) short story and had already started on it when I got word that they'd prefer an Atlantis story. Sally suggested a teaser for the book, so one thing led to another.

Spoiler:
                    As for the family relationship there, it kinda presented itself, because, gee, that ATA gene had to come from somewhere, right? Stands to reason that Shep has some Ancients climbing around in the family tree. Though he isn't exactly thrilled with this particular relative--then again, neither is anybody else Ikaros is a little bit on the unruly side...

And now I'm taking the Fifth
                    Heh! The magazine only just arrived at my own bookstore this past week, and I'm in the thick of suburbia... I hope we'll get to see that SG-1 story at some point in the future.

Spoiler:
                    It's always fun to learn more about Sheppard's background; he's the "star" of the show, yet after four years, he's still more of a mystery than anyone else. And his connection to the ATA gene has really been the most underdeveloped part of all, which is kind of surprising, since that's what got him into the expedition in the first place.

Can't say I'm at all surprised that Ikaros is a handful... after all, John had to have gotten his own rebellious attitude from somewhere...
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

I hope we'll get to see that SG-1 story at some point in the future.
                      Me too! I mean, it's Jack after all...

Fabric stickers? What kinda fruit do you buy, woman? <g>
                      Told'ya I don't buy them, only steal the stickers
                      Well, woven fabric, textile, weave, whatever the heck the right word is

On a serious note - I just got an e-mail from Amazon, that my copy of "Do no harm" got pushed back until 1st of July! I was hoping to receive it in the next few days!

Guess I will be lucky now if I can read THIS one at the flight to Vancouver! Aaaargh!

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                        Me too! I mean, it's Jack after all...

On a serious note - I just got an e-mail from Amazon, that my copy of "Do no harm" got pushed back until 1st of July! I was hoping to receive it in the next few days!

Guess I will be lucky now if I can read THIS one at the flight to Vancouver! Aaaargh!
                        Hmm. Ignore that it says Gategusher, this is actually Karen, on a different computer trying to figure out how to be herself. So not a geek here.

I find that odd, Astra, and I'm trying to find out what's going on. My author copies are in the mail to me, so I don't understand why it's July from Amazon. When I can get some reliable info, I'll let you all know!

Comment

Thanks, Karen! Highly appreciated!

Well, I'm used to it for arriving a "bit" later here in Germany, so it was likely to be rather the end than the middle of May, but six weeks later is a bit ridiculous.

On the other hand, I got a similar e-mail for "Barque of Heaven" as well but in the end Suzanne was right, that I had not to wait as long as they said.

So for all I know, it might already be in the letter-box when I come home. It even says so in the e-mail, to ignore it in this case

Comment

Just read Geneology and find myself somewhat confused. Is it a sequel to Mirror Mirror?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                              Thanks, Karen! Highly appreciated!

You're welcome. Word is it's on its way to the distributor now, so you should have your copy fairly soon. Hopefully within a week, ten days. And after all this, I just it doesn't disappoint!!!

Comment

Thanks again! Looking forward to that. And I'm pretty sure I'll like it, I mean - it has Janet in it (on top of Jack and the rest of SG-1, of course). I still consider your "Medical considerations" as some of my favouritest stories.

Will you open a new thread for all kind of feedback, like you did with "Alliances"?

Comment

Working...
                                X