This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
    Hey, I'd love to do a con in Chicago, I hear it's a great city. I'm actually planning to guest at a US event later this year - July's Shore Leave in Baltimore. Here in the UK, I'll be at Serenity Complete in April.
    Looking forward to meeting you at Shore Leave, James. Hope we'll have a chance to hoist a couple and pick each other's brains about writing in various universes.
    Jim Johnson
    Star Trek: Strange New Worlds VII | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 09 | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 10

Comment

Originally posted by Ineti View Post
      Looking forward to meeting you at Shore Leave, James. Hope we'll have a chance to hoist a couple and pick each other's brains about writing in various universes.
      Rack 'em up, man. I look forward to it!

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

New entries on Amazon...

SG1 Hydra (takes the place of Tin Team, right?)
        http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-...335316&sr=1-10

SGA Mirror, Mirror (first I've heard of this one...)
        http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Atlan...335316&sr=1-12

Wish we knew what these were about...

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
          New entries on Amazon...

SG1 Hydra (takes the place of Tin Team, right?)
          http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-...335316&sr=1-10

SGA Mirror, Mirror (first I've heard of this one...)
          http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Atlan...335316&sr=1-12

Wish we knew what these were about...
          Hi lightsyder, hi Everybody!

Long time no message, so long in fact that the system apparently gave up on me, with the result that I had to finagle my way back in, complete with changed email address and forgotten user name. Warning: Only trained professionals should try this in a state of residual hangover!

So, yes, reports of my demise have been exaggerated.

Thing is, I tend to revert to a sullenly uncommunicative state when I'm writing. I also growl. However--and here is where at least one answer to your question comes in, lightsyder--just before Christmas Mirror, Mirror was delivered, and a nice, healthy 120-odd K baby it is. After a term of pregnancy that would have startled an elephant...

I mean, I'm not exactly the fastest writer on God's green Earth, but that was verging on the ridiculous, even by my standards. Mind you, a couple of weeks ago or so, I had to condense the whole plot into a nice, tidy outline for MGM, which was roughly the point when it dawned on me just how complex the story actually was... I guess that explains it.

Once we're nearer the time--Mirror, Mirror is slotted to be published in August this year--I'll hopefully be able to post a teaser, but for the time being, here's a blurb, to give you a little taster at least:

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The Atlantis expedition find out the hard way when an Ancient prodigy offers them Charybdis, a device capable of disposing of the Wraith. The experiment fails disastrously, threatening to unravel the very fabric of the Pegasus Galaxy and possibly the entire universe. Dr. Weir, Dr. Zelenka, Colonel Sheppard and his team each are isolated and trapped in an alternate version of Atlantis, fighting for their lives and sanity. As they slowly begin to understand what has happened, they must enter a desperate race against time and themselves in order to escape from a maddening tangle of alternate realities and return to their own Atlantis to undo the damage Charybdis has done before it becomes irreversible.

And yes, I said it was finished before Christmas, didn't I? So what have I been doing in the meantime? Well, the very next day after typing 'The End' I headed out to Germany to spend Christmas and New Year and the entire month of January with my family--including quality time with a gaggle of nieces and nephews I only get to see once a year--and once I got back, I had all hands full trying to get my poor dog back to normal, because the kennel she was at sucked six ways from Sunday, and that's putting it mildly. Incidentally, she's not a Clydesdale (nice try, Sonny ), she's a Mastiff. Pocket edition, only about 110 lbs so far. Then again, she's only a year old...

I've also started playing with a new project, non-Stargate, so I'd better not yakk about that too much, else this'll go completely OT.

Anyway, I'm planning to be around again pretty regularly.

Comment

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh it's a mirror universe SGA story!!! *squeeeeeeee!* (I guess I really shoulda guessed that from the title, huh? )
            Last edited by Alipeeps; 18 March 2008, 03:27 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know why Halcyon is so hard to find?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer View Post

Long time no message, so long in fact that the system apparently gave up on me, with the result that I had to finagle my way back in, complete with changed email address and forgotten user name. Warning: Only trained professionals should try this in a state of residual hangover!

Thing is, I tend to revert to a sullenly uncommunicative state when I'm writing. I also growl. However--and here is where at least one answer to your question comes in, lightsyder--just before Christmas Mirror, Mirror was delivered, and a nice, healthy 120-odd K baby it is. After a term of pregnancy that would have startled an elephant...

I mean, I'm not exactly the fastest writer on God's green Earth, but that was verging on the ridiculous, even by my standards. Mind you, a couple of weeks ago or so, I had to condense the whole plot into a nice, tidy outline for MGM, which was roughly the point when it dawned on me just how complex the story actually was... I guess that explains it.

Once we're nearer the time--Mirror, Mirror is slotted to be published in August this year--I'll hopefully be able to post a teaser, but for the time being, here's a blurb, to give you a little taster at least:

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The Atlantis expedition find out the hard way when an Ancient prodigy offers them Charybdis, a device capable of disposing of the Wraith. The experiment fails disastrously, threatening to unravel the very fabric of the Pegasus Galaxy and possibly the entire universe. Dr. Weir, Dr. Zelenka, Colonel Sheppard and his team each are isolated and trapped in an alternate version of Atlantis, fighting for their lives and sanity. As they slowly begin to understand what has happened, they must enter a desperate race against time and themselves in order to escape from a maddening tangle of alternate realities and return to their own Atlantis to undo the damage Charybdis has done before it becomes irreversible.

And yes, I said it was finished before Christmas, didn't I? So what have I been doing in the meantime? Well, the very next day after typing 'The End' I headed out to Germany to spend Christmas and New Year and the entire month of January with my family--including quality time with a gaggle of nieces and nephews I only get to see once a year--and once I got back, I had all hands full trying to get my poor dog back to normal, because the kennel she was at sucked six ways from Sunday, and that's putting it mildly. Incidentally, she's not a Clydesdale (nice try, Sonny ), she's a Mastiff. Pocket edition, only about 110 lbs so far. Then again, she's only a year old...

I've also started playing with a new project, non-Stargate, so I'd better not yakk about that too much, else this'll go completely OT.

Sabine!!! It's sooo good to hear from you!!! I've inquired about your sanity over the months.

This sounds like a great book! Is there Shep whump?? Hey, I gotta ask..especially after our conversation in Vancouver last year.. Well, here's hoping it gets published before I travel to Vancouver so I have something to read on the long flight!

Good to hear from you again and please pop in more frequently - especially with that teaser!
                sigpic

Comment

Welcome back!

Care to drop a hint on where this story takes place, in between which episodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh it's a mirror universe SGA story!!! *squeeeeeeee!* (I guess I really shoulda guessed that from the title, huh? )
                    Darn! And there I was, trying to be enigmatic! The working title would have been perfect; half a mile long and completely irrelevant to the story...

Originally posted by Gate Geek
                    Sabine!!! It's sooo good to hear from you!!! I've inquired about your sanity over the months.

This sounds like a great book! Is there Shep whump?? Hey, I gotta ask..especially after our conversation in Vancouver last year.. Well, here's hoping it gets published before I travel to Vancouver so I have something to read on the long flight!

Good to hear from you again and please pop in more frequently - especially with that teaser!
                    Good to hear from you, too! But I gotta say: you've inquired about what?! Gate Geek, you've met me! I gave up sanity for Lent when I was six and I haven't looked back since

'Fraid you won't be able to read Mirror, Mirror on the plane, though. Not unless you plan on going to Vancouver in August... On the upside, there is whumpage. Much whumpage. What can I say? I was weaned on a diet of Grimm's Fairytales, and you know what psychologists say that does to a child's psyche...

Originally posted by lightsyder
                    Welcome back!

Care to drop a hint on where this story takes place, in between which episodes?
                    Thanks! It's fun to be back

And the story takes place in Season 2, just after Trinity.

Comment

Will there be Teyla Whump too? I is Grande Master Whumpre of the Teyla Whumping group! (we are small but slowly growing!!) And I'm wondering, is Mirror Mirror, going to have Teyla Whump as well? If Beth can do it so can you!!

Speaking of which Beth if you are reading this, I have just finisesh CoW for the tenth time! as well as Exo for the 12th time!!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Teyilia View Post
                        Will there be Teyla Whump too? I is Grande Master Whumpre of the Teyla Whumping group! (we are small but slowly growing!!) And I'm wondering, is Mirror Mirror, going to have Teyla Whump as well? If Beth can do it so can you!!

Speaking of which Beth if you are reading this, I have just finisesh CoW for the tenth time! as well as Exo for the 12th time!!
                        Hey, Teyilia. Nice to meet you, Grand Master ::bows humbly:: And yes, there will be Teyla whumpage. As a matter of fact, you could call it an Equal Opportunity Whump-In They're all having a pretty rough ride in this one, but Teyla's actually playing a rather crucial role in this...

By the way, in one of the upcoming editions (don't know which yet, but I'm working on finding out) of the official magazine there will be a short story that's a teaser for the book. Shep's found a rather... erm... idiosyncratic way of dealing with events

Comment

Darn! And there I was, trying to be enigmatic! The working title would have been perfect; half a mile long and completely irrelevant to the story...
                          Well, you obviously almost succeeded as I didn't work it out until I read your little blurb... though that probably says more about my level of perspicacity than your level of success in being enigmatic!

On the upside, there is whumpage. Much whumpage. What can I say? I was weaned on a diet of Grimm's Fairytales, and you know what psychologists say that does to a child's psyche...
                          Woohooooo! *hugs and squishes Sabine*

Ooops. Sorry. Got a tad carried away there.

By the way, in one of the upcoming editions (don't know which yet, but I'm working on finding out) of the official magazine there will be a short story that's a teaser for the book. Shep's found a rather... erm... idiosyncratic way of dealing with events
                          *squeees some more* Ooooh, shall look forward to that!
                          sigpic

Comment

Good to hear from you, too! But I gotta say: you've inquired about what?! Gate Geek, you've met me! I gave up sanity for Lent when I was six and I haven't looked back since

'Fraid you won't be able to read Mirror, Mirror on the plane, though. Not unless you plan on going to Vancouver in August... On the upside, there is whumpage. Much whumpage. What can I say? I was weaned on a diet of Grimm's Fairytales, and you know what psychologists say that does to a child's psyche...

Damn, I should've kept 'insanity', but I was trying to polite.

Oh, but I am going to Vancouver in August...to meet RDA at GateCon!!! So if you could get the book published and delivered to me by 11 August, that would be perfect.

SQUUEEE!!! Shep Whump!!!! I will say...if it contains anything for the boy like we talked about...I will owe you several drinks next time we meet.
                            sigpic

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                                Well, you obviously almost succeeded as I didn't work it out until I read your little blurb... though that probably says more about my level of perspicacity than your level of success in being enigmatic!
                                I'm still practicing

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                                Woohooooo! *hugs and squishes Sabine*

Ooops. Sorry. Got a tad carried away there.

*squeees some more* Ooooh, shall look forward to that!
                                Down, girl!

Originally posted by Gate Geek
                                Damn, I should've kept 'insanity', but I was trying to polite.

Oh, but I am going to Vancouver in August...to meet RDA at GateCon!!! So if you could get the book published and delivered to me by 11 August, that would be perfect.

SQUUEEE!!! Shep Whump!!!! I will say...if it contains anything for the boy like we talked about...I will owe you several drinks next time we meet.
                                And then some. And you're on. Just as long as I don't have to act sane...

Don't know about 11 August, though. Publication date'll probably be nearer the end of the month, so don't get your hopes up.

Originally posted by lightsyder
                                Awesome. Thanks for the info!!
                                You're welcome

Comment

Working...
                                X