Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say I loved the Barque of Heaven. Excellent story, loved the team interaction. It had me captivated right from the get go. I thought you caught the spirit and personality of the team. I was confused by the ending though. So
    Spoiler:
    was Bes an ascended being and was the spector a ghost or was that more technology. And did you hint that Ra may have not been a goa'uld?

Anyway, I definitely hope to see another Sg-1 book from you in the future. Great job!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
      I have to say I loved the Barque of Heaven. Excellent story, loved the team interaction. It had me captivated right from the get go. I thought you caught the spirit and personality of the team. I was confused by the ending though. So
      Spoiler:
      was Bes an ascended being and was the spector a ghost or was that more technology. And did you hint that Ra may have not been a goa'uld?

Anyway, I definitely hope to see another Sg-1 book from you in the future. Great job!!!!
      I know you're waiting for Ms. Wood to answer, but my impressions were these:
      Spoiler:
      Bes WAS an ascended being, it was Ra's soul, not technology and....actually I was also wondering if that meant Ra wasn't a Goa'uld, or if he was the first Goa'uld or what?

Comment

ARGH!!! I still haven't gotten my Barque book. I came down with a cold that ahs left me bedridden for the last week. Then got pounded by a snowstorm. I finally got it on order and now to wait for it to arrive....
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
          Spoiler:
          Bes WAS an ascended being, it was Ra's soul, not technology and....actually I was also wondering if that meant Ra wasn't a Goa'uld, or if he was the first Goa'uld or what?
          Thanks for that while I'm waiting.

Spoiler:
          My husband and I have been debating as to whether Ra was the first goa'uld, but I thought it was interesting that Suzanne wrote that thought that Daniel had, about Ra being a goa'uld in her book. I wonder what made her think of that. Would make for an interesting debate.

I would also like to take the time to thank all of you authors! While it saddens me to see no more SG-1 on tv, thanks to you guys for continuing to keep their adventures alive. Hope to see more books coming in the future.

Comment

For Ms. Suzanne Wood.

I just read Barque of Heaven on Saturday. Let me say. I have enjoyed all the Stargate books Fandemonium has put out. But yours? Fan. Frickin. Tastic!!!! By far, the best one I have ever read. I started it at 6:00 at night and didn't stop until I finished it at 3:45 in the morning! Here is why (I'll try to explain everything generically to avoid spoilers!):

-The story itself was so compelling and the pacing was spot on. There WAS no good place to put it down, because EVERY page was a page-turner.

-The action and scenery were described so well, I could actually see each world in my head and feel the hot, cold, damp, etc. like I was there.

-Team team team team team. This is the first book where the characters weren't split up for any length of time. I was tolerant of that in the TV series because I know the logistics of getting the show made, made it inevitable that the team had to be split up much of the time. But in the books, the same can't be said. Yet so many of the books do so. Thank you for taking advantage of the medium in this way and for understanding how important the sense of 'team' is to the success of SG-1.

-The characters felt like the characters of SG-1 that we all know and love. The humour and concern for one another, and their reactions to the situations and each other? All consistent with what we see on the screen. Jack was large and in charge while still keeping it light, Sam was her scientific self, and Teal'c was patient and strong like he should be.

-Daniel. What can I say? You absolutely nailed him. I was a little bummed when I saw the book was to take place in the third year because I think there is so much good history to mine from setting a book later in the series. But when I read your book, I was reminded again why season three was one of my favourites for Daniel. During that season, he was just starting to change. He still had an overriding concern for others and still amazed us with his archaeological and linguistic skills. Yet, during season 3 he had grown enough to prove that he WAS a capable fighter and no longer had to be protected by the others at all times. You showed this well by only making him vulnerable in situations where any of them would be. And only being cared for because he was a team member in trouble, not a liability.

Thank you thank you thank you for a wonderful Saturday evening and PLEASE...write more!

Crichiel
            Oh, thank you Crichiel for such a lovely review. I’m so glad the book has worked for you, even if you did lose some sleep. I’ve always love the dynamic of the four team members working together, so that was the first thing I settled on when working out the plot. Alone, they are four brilliant characters but together, they are an amazing combination.

I’m very glad I’ve got the characters right. I think in a way it’s even tougher to write a tie-in than an original novel, because your audience has a prior familiarity with the characters that you have to meet or you risk disappointing them.

I set the book in season three because, while I adore pretty much all the stages of the series, season three was when it all seemed to click – the characters were well settled in and familiar with each other, they were discovering so much about themselves and each other, and they were visibly developing and maturing – particularly Daniel. Your words, ‘And only being cared for because he was a team member in trouble, not a liability’ sums it up beautifully.

As for writing more – I certainly hope so.

All the best,
            Suzanne.
            sigpic

http://hevnlybarquings.livejournal.com/
            http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
              I just have to agree with everything that Crichiel just said about "Barque of Heaven". The team, the imagination that created so many different amazing planets, the wonderful character description, and the breathless journey Suzanne put SG-1 and also the reader through.

She definitely didn't lie when she said "They use the stargate. A lot."

I'm almost finished with my second read through it. Had to do it before I could give proper feedback, because the first time I just wanted to know what happened next, and now I take the time to write down some of my favourite lines along the way.

I really hope we will see more of you!
              Thanks, Astra! I've always liked books that took you on a great ride, so I'm pretty pleased I've managed to do one myself.

Suzanne.
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Thank you Gatechick, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. In answer to your questions...

Spoiler:
                Yes, Bes was an ascended being as was the 'other' who arrived at the end to take him home. The spectre of Ra was a kind of ghost. I based the idea on the Ancient Egyptian belief in the Ka, a representation of the life force of a human’s soul which lived separately from the body. After the body’s death, to assure the Ka’s immortal life, a mummy or statue was provided for the Ka to join with. (That’s a rough overview, apologies to any Egyptologists out there.)

I did hint that Ra may not have been a Goa'uld, based on the story Daniel read on the walls of the catacombs under Abydos in the original movie.

Cheers,
                Suzanne.
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  I was out last night at a Tupperware party! Mmmm, plastic...

Anyhoo,
                  Spoiler:
                  I was constrained in my speculations about Ra's origins, so it was just a hint that he might have been other than a Goa'uld.

Suzanne.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that while I'm waiting.

Spoiler:
                    My husband and I have been debating as to whether Ra was the first goa'uld, but I thought it was interesting that Suzanne wrote that thought that Daniel had, about Ra being a goa'uld in her book. I wonder what made her think of that. Would make for an interesting debate.

I would also like to take the time to thank all of you authors! While it saddens me to see no more SG-1 on tv, thanks to you guys for continuing to keep their adventures alive. Hope to see more books coming in the future.
                    It's such a big hole now, not having twenty new episodes each year. I always liked having new stories to look forward to. Hopefully the movies will continue on past the first two, and we'll have lots of lovely books to fill in the gaps.

Re your debate...
                    Spoiler:
                    In the original movie Daniel reads Ra's story in the catacombs under the city of Nagada. He says, 'He was the last of his kind'. I just had Daniel putting that comment together with Ra's obvious power and aloofness from the other Goa'uld, to come up with the theory that he may not have been a Goa'uld at all - possibly some other type of alien masquerading as a Goa'uld.

Cheers,
                    Suzanne.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                      ARGH!!! I still haven't gotten my Barque book. I came down with a cold that ahs left me bedridden for the last week. Then got pounded by a snowstorm. I finally got it on order and now to wait for it to arrive....
                      What a shame. There's nothing better than snuggling in bed with a book when you're feeling sick. Hope you feel better soon!

Suzanne.
                      sigpic

Comment

Suzanne,

Where did the
                        Spoiler:
                        stargate translator function
                        come from? That all yours or was it form the show and I missed it?

Great book by the way, just wish I more time to read anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                          Suzanne,

Where did the
                          Spoiler:
                          stargate translator function
                          come from? That all yours or was it form the show and I missed it?

Great book by the way, just wish I more time to read anymore...
                          I hope Suzanne doesn't mind me answering for her, but to the best of my knowledge the first appearance of that function was in Julie Fortune's Sacrifice Moon. If it's appeared elsewhere before this, then feel free to correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymach View Post
                            I hope Suzanne doesn't mind me answering for her, but to the best of my knowledge the first appearance of that function was in Julie Fortune's Sacrifice Moon. If it's appeared elsewhere before this, then feel free to correct me.
                            Cool, just wondering what I may have been forgetting. It is a cool idea, certainly helps explain that little bit from the show...

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                              Cool, just wondering what I may have been forgetting. It is a cool idea, certainly helps explain that little bit from the show...
                              Yes, thanks Jaymach! It was a nod to Julie Fortune's book and it was such a clever idea that filled a little hole in the show, I couldn't help but reference it.

I'm very glad you liked the book, Lightsyder.

Suzanne.
                              sigpic

Comment

Actually, McConnell suggested this way back in The Price You Pay.
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                                X