Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Apple's iWork 09, writing in Pages on my Macbook Air, or if I am going to be out for more than 4 or 5 hrs, I have an HP 2140 that I've hackintoshed into a 10 inch Apple OS mini-laptop. That's the bread and butter stuff. However, if I am doing one of my Victoriana fantasy pieces I drag out this big old leather folio and write long hand with either an antique fountain pen or my silver faber & castell porsche clutch pencil. I am also toying with the idea of buying a digital voice recorder so I can take hikes and 'talk-write' as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Teyilia View Post
      I have yet another question the good writers of this amazing book series (for both SG-1 & SGA); namely. When you write the story, How exactly do you write? do you have music playing in the background to give a sense of forboding to scenes, or do you just have the sounds of nature moving you along? Also, what is your insperation for a story? How do you get it?
      I have an office in my house, and I write there most of the time, sometimes "on location" if I'm travelling or working around another project.

Depending on my mood, I'll either have the quiet outside my window or some music - usually classical or soundtracks, anything without lyrics.

Inspiration comes from the world around, but I don't sit around waiting for the muse to strike; my muse works nine-to-five!

I see, do you have a laptop or do you write it on paper? What's your medium? (mine is desktop & laptop as my handwriting stinks)
      I write notes on the go in a spiralbound notebook or a dog-eared journal (my "grail diary"); if I'm working from home, I write on a compact little Asus Eee laptop, otherwise I'm on 'Tachikoma', my desktop PC.

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

So, what is Fandemonium's release schedule looking like? Any new SG-1 books on the horizon?

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
          if I'm working from home, I write on a compact little Asus Eee laptop, otherwise I'm on 'Tachikoma', my desktop PC.
          Woo! Am writing this on my Asus Eee... aren't they fab?
          sigpic

Comment

Just a quick note to say I have finally got a website worth visiting with lots to explore, and I will be making regular updates and little chats and stuff splurging hopefully lots of interesting bits, should you want to check it out: Http://www.stevensavile.com

Comment

Just ordered Hydra. Finally catching up with the novels. Went into Waterstones today and almost picked it up in the shop but I prefer to order directly from Fandy. Somehow I feel like I'm helping support them buying directly.

So any authors excited about Universe?
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                Forgot to say anything but I finished re-reading Casualties sometime ago and am about 100 pages in Angelus. Casualties is still a blast on the re-reads. All my previous praises stand and as does my one complaint about the use of "dialer".
                Noted and appreciated on all counts. And to answer your other question, I'm interested in Universe, but I think "excited" would be overstating it. I'm still working out some of my instinctive "Atlantis got axed for this show" resentment. (And no, let's not discuss the merits of THAT statement here; I'm aware it's not entirely true. It's just my petty side piping up. )

I have yet another question the good writers of this amazing book series (for both SG-1 & SGA); namely. When you write the story, How exactly do you write? do you have music playing in the background to give a sense of forboding to scenes, or do you just have the sounds of nature moving you along? Also, what is your insperation for a story? How do you get it?
                I've been known to write pretty much anywhere. Most often I'm on my desktop computer, occasionally with music playing, although that sometimes distracts me (I enjoy my music too much to let it stay in the background). Since I travel a lot for work, I've also learned to appreciate the virtues of my Vaio laptop and a VOQ or Holiday Inn Express desk. A page or so of Casualties was written at the Atlanta airport, even. Mind you, that's for the first draft; once it's time for editing, I need to concentrate a little more and airports are hardly conducive to that.

I also enjoy writing longhand on occasion, and I tend to keep a notebook in my purse/briefcase/diaper bag, just in case I have time and ideas. Sometimes just the act of typing in a previously handwritten scene can serve as a good first edit.
                Beth
                http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                  Noted and appreciated on all counts. And to answer your other question, I'm interested in Universe, but I think "excited" would be overstating it. I'm still working out some of my instinctive "Atlantis got axed for this show" resentment. (And no, let's not discuss the merits of THAT statement here; I'm aware it's not entirely true. It's just my petty side piping up. )
                  That said, in my recent re-watches it shows that TPTB didn't know what they wanted. Too many characters, too many cast changes, and still they wanted more for S6(they were gonna bring Daniel in as regular). They underused characters and the whole dynamic changed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    So any authors excited about Universe?
                    Colour me interested...

Out Now:
                    Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                    Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                    "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    Twitter

Comment

A page or so of Casualties was written at the Atlanta airport, even. Mind you, that's for the first draft;
                      So? What's wrong with Atlanta airport? I live within walking distance from there... and yeah many of us are thinking that way about SGU, personally I wonder what it is going to be like so I'm going to give the premire a looksee and give it a rating from there

Oh and i'm with E.A.G. Casualties is AWEOME every time I read it (I lost count) And it is earmarked now too I think it is ready for an autograph.... you coming to Dragon*Con over labor day?? I might go... on saterday if my parents let me

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

So? What's wrong with Atlanta airport? I live within walking distance from there...
                        Not a thing -- I personally like airports, even the huge ones. But you have to admit that they're not the best places to really sit down and think about something.

Oh and i'm with E.A.G. Casualties is AWEOME every time I read it (I lost count) And it is earmarked now too I think it is ready for an autograph.... you coming to Dragon*Con over labor day?? I might go... on saterday if my parents let me
                        Many thanks again! Unfortunately, I've got a new house, a ten-month-old who's figuring out how to walk, and a day job, all of which are keeping me too busy for cons this summer. As for autographs, though, if you send me a private message with your address, I'd be happy to sign a business card or a sticker and mail it to you to stick in the front of the book. (As soon as I figure out which of these boxes I packed my cards in...) Not as nice as the real thing, but it's the best I can do for the moment. That offer extends to anybody who's interested, by the way.
                        Beth
                        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Many thanks again! Unfortunately, I've got a new house, a ten-month-old who's figuring out how to walk, and a day job, all of which are keeping me too busy for cons this summer. As for autographs, though, if you send me a private message with your address, I'd be happy to sign a business card or a sticker and mail it to you to stick in the front of the book. (As soon as I figure out which of these boxes I packed my cards in...) Not as nice as the real thing, but it's the best I can do for the moment. That offer extends to anybody who's interested, by the way.
                          Wow, I'm surprised you have any time to write!

How on earth do you manage to juggle writing and the little one? My little girl is 15 weeks now and I have NO time to myself! She's at the stage where she is awake and aware a lot of the time and wanting attention/distraction but is too little and uncoordinated to entertain herself!
                          sigpic

Comment

Not a thing -- I personally like airports, even the huge ones. But you have to admit that they're not the best places to really sit down and think about something.

But they are the perfect place for insperation though! Think about it it a second, you can't help but wonder how any of the non earth team members would react to getting into an airplane and experiancing their first bout of "turbulance"

Hmmm... must ask mom first, after all I only stay at their place right now. So yeah they might get a bit freaked out if something comes for me in the mail from someone they don't know

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Holy cow, it's been too long since I caught up with this thread! I'm sorry, guys! *waves at everyone*

Portals is running late, for which I apologize and plead the functional equivalent of a divorce screwing up life. Why is it always the Major Life Changes come during Major Life Stresses? Should be done and gone off to Fandemonium before I head down to Dragon*Con. (Speaking of the Atlanta airport.) Hopefully I'll see a few of you guys there?

For the person making the timeline? I see you haven't placed Portals yet. Portals of Discovery will, provided everything passes approval, begin with when we first meet Elizabeth in "Lost City" and end with her going back to Atlantis in "The Return". I seem to have an affinity for stories that irritate timeliners. *cringe*

Best get back to work. I promise not to take so long between surfacing for air.
                              Terri Osborne
                              www.terriosborne.com

Currently writing: Stargate: Atlantis--Portals of Discovery, a.k.a, the memoirs of Elizabeth Weir (coming sometime in 2010)

Comment

About 200 pages into Angelus, just a thought:

Spoiler:
                                So when they find the Asuran facilty on the algee planet, if the hybrid is half Replicator/half human, how come Laetor is a hybrid when he was one of the Collective Reps sent to kill the Asurans experimenting on hybrid?

EDIT: Nevermind, just seen it.
                                Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 25 July 2009, 01:48 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X