This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
    I think you'd have to comb through an awful lot of this thread to find the previous discussion on this topic, so here's a shortcut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_literature

I'm not sure who updates it or how accurate it is, but it's correct for my novels and short stories, at least. My last story, "Waypoints," has no specific timeframe (other than post-S1, since Ronon's there) -- but it's no secret that it was written before the episode "Outcast," because it contains a line about Sheppard that "Outcast" rendered inaccurate. Can't win 'em all...
    Really, it's so darned inconsiderate of TPTB to go and write things that contradict what you've done in the novels, isn't it? You'd think they could at least check with you first!!

Btw, how is motherhood treating you? And how on earth do you find time to write with a baby around?! Am just getting into the swing of mommying myself after my little girl decided to turn up 5 weeks ahead of schedule! She's 3 weeks old now and we've been out of hospital for a week and are getting settled at home.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone,

this is my first post in here, so apologies if I say anything or ask anything that has been dealt with before....

First praise! I'd like to thank Sonny Whitelaw & Jennifer Fallon,
      as well as Ms Whitelaw again with Elizabeth Christensen for Roswell and Exogenesis.
      I list both books at once, because I got them at the same time and both highlight the strengths of the respective charcters and concepts they come from.

For Me, "Roswell" is the book Continuum should have been. I didn't enjoy Continuum because to me it followed the 24 Centurty Trek book on time travel. - Roswell told its own story which was beautifully executed, and gave all six members of SG1 something great to do.

Exogenesis did something unimaginable. It made me feel sorry for McKay! - David Hewlett's excellent acting notwithstanding, the character rubs me the wrong way. This book changed that within this story. It was good to see the hard road Dr Weir has been walking since she was given command of the Expo. Nice use of Teyla's people and the Daedelus's characters too. (I get sporadic hiccups for real, so seeing Dr Novak always makes me smile!)

Questions...

1) How do you work out the dynamics of a story you want to pitch, within the dynamics of the series? Its there an offical checklist for pitches?

2) Has there been any talk about the idea of Universe novels, now the series is cranking up for season 1? (I realise there may be only so much that could be said on this issue, if anything at all at this point.)

3) I noted in the "About the authors" section of both the aforementioned books, you live in different places Ladies. - How do you co-ordinate your work to make such smooth narrative, and get the stories to flow so well?

4) I haven't read Blood Ties yet, (I will, I promise!) but I understand its an Atlantis story that has characters from SG1 in it, and we see Stargate Command. Has there ever been any thoughts / options to an SG1 or Atlantis story that brings Dr Beckett back from Atlantis to Stargate Command? I remember in "Return Part 1" Dr B told Dr W he had (I think) seven siblings? I have had my own ideas of the incredible story roads that could lead to. It made me wonder if any of you, who have the talents to make something like that work as a novel, considered the idea?

(I am assuming it hasn't already happened of course!)

Finally - Alipeeps and Ms Christensen, congratulations on the little ones!
      Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
      Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        Btw, how is motherhood treating you? And how on earth do you find time to write with a baby around?! Am just getting into the swing of mommying myself after my little girl decided to turn up 5 weeks ahead of schedule! She's 3 weeks old now and we've been out of hospital for a week and are getting settled at home.
        Mega-congrats, Ali! Yikes, 5 weeks early? That would have induced a epic-level freakout for me. Of course, our little guy took his sweet time and showed up six days late, by which point I was about to lose my mind anyway ...

Speaking of whom: he's seven months old as of this past week, and two days ago he discovered crawling. Time to hide the breakables! He's very strong AND strong-willed, but he's a happy baby and a real delight. Just you wait until the first time you enter a room, see your little girl's eyes light up, and watch her scramble ten feet in mere seconds to clutch at your leg. Magic.

Anyway, sorry for the minor thread-jack, everyone. Next ...
        Beth
        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
          Hi everyone,

this is my first post in here, so apologies if I say anything or ask anything that has been dealt with before....

(snip)

Exogenesis did something unimaginable. It made me feel sorry for McKay! - David Hewlett's excellent acting notwithstanding, the character rubs me the wrong way. This book changed that within this story. It was good to see the hard road Dr Weir has been walking since she was given command of the Expo. Nice use of Teyla's people and the Daedelus's characters too. (I get sporadic hiccups for real, so seeing Dr Novak always makes me smile!)
          Welcome, T-bird, and thanks very much! I'm going to pretend your screen name is related to the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, even if it's not, since I used to work on the F-16 program for the Air Force.

Questions...

1) How do you work out the dynamics of a story you want to pitch, within the dynamics of the series? Its there an offical checklist for pitches?
          There's a short one, yes: basically, it restricts us from doing anything that would change the canon seen on-screen. We have to be able to "reset" the characters and situations to zero at the end, so we can't find six new ZPMs (for instance) without also losing them somehow by the last page.

2) Has there been any talk about the idea of Universe novels, now the series is cranking up for season 1? (I realise there may be only so much that could be said on this issue, if anything at all at this point.)
          Last I heard, Fandemonium was considering purchasing the rights for Universe novels, but I don't know if a decision's been made yet.

3) I noted in the "About the authors" section of both the aforementioned books, you live in different places Ladies. - How do you co-ordinate your work to make such smooth narrative, and get the stories to flow so well?
          Email is a wonderful, wonderful thing. (Phones are good, too, but occasionally a coauthor who lives on the other side of the world will call in the middle of the night by accident. Not that I'm naming any names.) Also, when Sonny and I write together, we both contribute to each chapter, rather than alternating sections and then trying to mesh them together later. Generally, she'll write a five-page skeleton of a chapter, I'll come along behind and add dialogue and characterization, and then we'll bounce it back and forth a couple of times to spruce up each other's work. And this only works because we put together a very solid outline at the outset -- otherwise I'm sure the plot would end up wandering aimlessly.

4) I haven't read Blood Ties yet, (I will, I promise!) but I understand its an Atlantis story that has characters from SG1 in it, and we see Stargate Command. Has there ever been any thoughts / options to an SG1 or Atlantis story that brings Dr Beckett back from Atlantis to Stargate Command? I remember in "Return Part 1" Dr B told Dr W he had (I think) seven siblings? I have had my own ideas of the incredible story roads that could lead to. It made me wonder if any of you, who have the talents to make something like that work as a novel, considered the idea?
          I can't speak for any of the other authors, so it's entirely possible that someone's got a Carson-centric storyline in mind ... stay tuned!

Finally - Alipeeps and Ms Christensen, congratulations on the little ones!
          Thanks much! I'm only on the computer right now because it's after his bedtime ...
          Beth
          http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
          http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Mega-congrats, Ali! Yikes, 5 weeks early? That would have induced a epic-level freakout for me. Of course, our little guy took his sweet time and showed up six days late, by which point I was about to lose my mind anyway ...
            Yeah, she gave us a bit of a scare... she was fine when she was born though. She weighed a decent 5lb 7oz and just needed a bit of help with her feeding etc but at 4 days old she got sick and was moved to neonatal ward and treated for suspected meningitis! Scariest day of my life, EVER! Thankfully she responded very well to antibiotics and was back on the ward with me 4 days later - we were in hospital a total of 2 weeks though while she a) had 10 days of antibiotics and b) got her feeding established.

Speaking of whom: he's seven months old as of this past week, and two days ago he discovered crawling. Time to hide the breakables! He's very strong AND strong-willed, but he's a happy baby and a real delight. Just you wait until the first time you enter a room, see your little girl's eyes light up, and watch her scramble ten feet in mere seconds to clutch at your leg. Magic.

Anyway, sorry for the minor thread-jack, everyone. Next ...
            Oh yeah.. I keep looking around the house and thinking, "Yup, that'll have to be moved before she starts crawling!" I'm a lucky mummy though really - she is a very placid baby, feeds well, hardly ever cries and pretty much settles right back off to sleep with the minimum of fuss. She's piling on the weight (gained 13oz in 10 days!) and before long may even get to graduate from "early baby" babygrows to "tiny baby" size!

Anyway... um... topic! Ah, yes. Um... So. Whatcha working on atm? Any more SGA novels in the pipeline?
            sigpic

Comment

I think you'd have to comb through an awful lot of this thread to find the previous discussion on this topic, so here's a shortcut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_literature

I'm not sure who updates it or how accurate it is, but it's correct for my novels and short stories, at least. My last story, "Waypoints," has no specific timeframe (other than post-S1, since Ronon's there) -- but it's no secret that it was written before the episode "Outcast," because it contains a line about Sheppard that "Outcast" rendered inaccurate. Can't win 'em all...
              Thank you for the link! After much searching there and other places I think I have a timeframe for all the books and short stories. The only exception is the short story “Murphy’s Law of Stargate Travel” in magazine issue #25 by Suzanne Wood. I haven't read it, but did skim it a tiny bit. It looks like maybe there's no real certain timeframe for it (other than it's when SG-1 consisted of Jack, Teal'c, Daniel, and Sam).

The reason I'm looking for the info is because I want to try and do a complete stargate marathon including the books and short stories. It might be a bit crazy, but I thought it would be fun to try. lol
              ~Melanie

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UngoauldedUnas View Post
                The reason I'm looking for the info is because I want to try and do a complete stargate marathon including the books and short stories. It might be a bit crazy, but I thought it would be fun to try. lol
                Heh. Fun, indeed. I have to say, it would be kind of nice to have some sort of all-inclusive timeline that covers the TV series, films and tie-in books. I think someone had tried to start up something like that, but it never went anywhere.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                  Heh. Fun, indeed. I have to say, it would be kind of nice to have some sort of all-inclusive timeline that covers the TV series, films and tie-in books. I think someone had tried to start up something like that, but it never went anywhere.
                  I've actually made one, I just never shared. It has every episode, the movies, comics, books and short stories. I love have a nice complete reading/viewing order. I could post it if anyone is interested...

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                    I've actually made one, I just never shared. It has every episode, the movies, comics, books and short stories. I love have a nice complete reading/viewing order. I could post it if anyone is interested...
                    Heh! You're kidding, right? Between the completists and the fanfiction writers, there's bound to be a whole lot of people who would be interested. Please, post it!
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yes, please do post it! I'd like to compare my list with yours.
                      ~Melanie

sigpic

Comment

I've placed it in spoiler tags so it doesn't take up too much space. I built this in Excel with some color coding so it looks a lot better there than it does here but...

This time line has the all of the episodes and movies for SG-1, Atlantis and what we know of Universe and of course the original movie. It also has the ROC, German and Fandemonium novels and short stories, the Avatar comics, PC and cell phone games (released and unreleased) and the RPG material. I did not include the SG-3000 ride, Infinity or the movie based sequel comics and books in the main timeline but they are listed separately. Let me know what you think...

Stargate Timeline

If anyone has ideas about the items at the bottom of the list please let me know!

Comment

Let me know what you think...
                          Very useful! A couple of corrections, though...

Nightfall takes place in SGA season 4 between 'The Seer' and 'Miller's Crossing'.
                          Zero Point takes place in SGA season 4, after 'Midway'.
                          Angelus takes place in SGA season 4, soon after Zero Point.
                          Choices takes place before the SGA season season 2 episode 'Runner', not after it. There's also a flashback scene in that story set late in SG-1 season 7.

Out Now:
                          Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                          Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                          "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
                            Very useful! A couple of corrections, though...

Nightfall takes place in SGA season 4 between 'The Seer' and 'Miller's Crossing'.
                            Zero Point takes place in SGA season 4, after 'Midway'.
                            Angelus takes place in SGA season 4, soon after Zero Point.
                            Choices takes place before the SGA season season 2 episode 'Runner', not after it. There's also a flashback scene in that story set late in SG-1 season 7.
                            Awesome! Thanks for the input. I'll have to try and get some corrections made today.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I'll have to try and get some corrections made today.
                              New version up...

Stargate Timeline

Comment

Wow! You've done an awesome job on your timeline, lightsyder!

Comment

Working...
                                X