Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tech discussion thread! (possible spoilers for any season, SG-1 and Atlantis)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These symbols might not even be constelations, and the only reason they were used in the tv series was because they were used in the movie, and the reason that they were used in the movie was because they were constelations, however I doubt that this theory was continued on into the show. The only reason that they used the symbols in the show was because they didn't need to make new symbols when the old ones worked fine.

The timeline is not known fully but, I doubt that the Atlantus base was setteled before the gate network was put in place. There is also the possibility that the ancients homeworld was Earth, which I would bet is correct.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      how are they earth like? what does that even mean? the antartic gate was over 50 million years old. 50 million years ago, the constelations as we consider them did not exist. the stars have changed considerably since then.
      also constelations would serve as about the poorest mapping system for traversing space. constelations are stars spread out over millions of light years, you need single points in space to map a 3 dimensional course.
      Exactly what I'm thinking! And what I ment by earth like was that they are the constalations from earth. I can easily recognize Orion and a few of the others by just looking at the night sky.
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
        Exactly what I'm thinking! And what I ment by earth like was that they are the constalations from earth. I can easily recognize Orion and a few of the others by just looking at the night sky.
        yes but if you go back and read my other post, what i said was that ancient humans created the constelations AFTER looking at the symbols on the gate. what are constelations really other than connect the dots? you can map out whatever you want if you are so inclined. ancient man looked at the gate saw the symbols and then drew them in the sky.

Comment

Could be. Its still pretty odd that all 38 symbols could be found using bright and relitively bright stars. I would like to see this explored in the series.
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          LANDRY
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

I agree, theoretically any shape can be found in the night sky.

Owen Macri

Comment

I have yet another question thats been on my mind. Does an event horizon split you apart into basic atoms and send those across the wormhole, or does it split you apart and turn you into energy and then send you across the wormhole?

And another: When you exit the event horizon, you are rematerialized, and the iris works by being close enough to the event horizon to not allow the rematerialization process to occur fully. Does this mean that everytime a Jaffa walks through the gate and splats on the iris, some Jaffa dust fall to the ground between the gate and the iris? Or does the Jaffa just not materialize at all, and if so, then what's the Thump for? Thank goodness for the Tech discussion thread!
              LANDRY
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                I have yet another question thats been on my mind. Does an event horizon split you apart into basic atoms and send those across the wormhole, or does it split you apart and turn you into energy and then send you across the wormhole?

And another: When you exit the event horizon, you are rematerialized, and the iris works by being close enough to the event horizon to not allow the rematerialization process to occur fully. Does this mean that everytime a Jaffa walks through the gate and splats on the iris, some Jaffa dust fall to the ground between the gate and the iris? Or does the Jaffa just not materialize at all, and if so, then what's the Thump for? Thank goodness for the Tech discussion thread!
                im pretty sure that the stargate converts you into energy and then sends you, i dont know about breaking you down into your constituent atoms though.

as for the iris, it is close enough that the energy cant rematerialize fully, but it still passes through so thats probably the thump we here, the combination of energy, matter slush that is the jaffa before they fully form. my question is who gets the job of cleaning off the inside of the iris that is covered in jaffa juice.

Comment

Yes, the stargate converts your matter into energy and sends you through the wormhole.

The event horizon is only something like 3-5 microns away from the event horizon, so anything that would rematerialize would be like a maolecule or something, there would really be no juice or anything to clean up because there is not enough room for there juice to rematerialize. However it would be much more practiacal to put the iris so close to the event horizon that nothing was able to rematerialize, then there would be the bang. The bang also shouldn't be so loud, the stargate does not propel you faster than the momentum you had enetering the event horizon, so many of the bangs are too loud, it might be more of a thump, or the sound if you walked into a wall. However the banging is pretty cool.

Owen Macri

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    Yes, the stargate converts your matter into energy and sends you through the wormhole.
                    No, the Stargate does not convert your matter into energy. If it did, they'd wouldn't call it a matter stream, would they?
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                      No, the Stargate does not convert your matter into energy. If it did, they'd wouldn't call it a matter stream, would they?
                      they dont call it a matter stream, they usually just say incoming object or traveler or whatever. the only time they say matter stream is when they are refering to the ring transporters, which work differently than the stargates. the best explanation for what happens to you is from "48 Hours". carter talks about what happens to you when explaining where teal'c is. he was converted to energy and then his "pattern" or whatever was stored in the gate without being rematerialized. the gate then had to be tricked into reforming him using the stored "pattern". so in a way you are basically scanned by the gate when you enter for how you are supposed to be and then destroyed and re made according to the "blueprint" that was made each time you go through the gate.

Comment

Matter stream is a misnomer, it should really be called an energy stream because the only thing that the stargate alows to pass through it is energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                          they dont call it a matter stream, they usually just say incoming object or traveler or whatever. the only time they say matter stream is when they are refering to the ring transporters, which work differently than the stargates. the best explanation for what happens to you is from "48 Hours". carter talks about what happens to you when explaining where teal'c is. he was converted to energy and then his "pattern" or whatever was stored in the gate without being rematerialized. the gate then had to be tricked into reforming him using the stored "pattern". so in a way you are basically scanned by the gate when you enter for how you are supposed to be and then destroyed and re made according to the "blueprint" that was made each time you go through the gate.
                          They refer to it as a matter stream in many episodes. Here's some references:

From Prodigy
                          HAILEY
                          What was that? What just happened?

CARTER
                          Your body was particalised in the matter stream and then reintegrated.
                          From Jolinar's Memories:
                          MARTOUF
                          The ring transportation devices work like Stargates, only over shorter distances. They transmit a matter stream. If that matter stream is intercepted by another receiver...
                          From A Matter of Time:
                          CARTER
                          Yes, and that surge caused the wormhole to jump from one destination to another.
                          (To elucidate, she holds up a doughnut and motions to the hole.)
                          If we can channel enough energy in the direction of our Stargate, it should cut the connection with the black hole and cause the matter stream to jump to any Gate along the way.
                          From Solitudes:
                          CARTER
                          Well, we don't totally understand how it works; but the theory we have so far is that the Gate creates an artificial wormhole, that somehow transfers an energized matter stream in one direction along an extra-dimensional conduit. I think the matter stream between Stargates got redirected, kind of like a…a lightning bolt jumping from one point to another in mid-strike. Now, I figure it had to have been the attack on P4A-771. The Gate itself was probably struck by enough energy during the firefight to influence the direction of the matter stream before we reached the other side. Colonel?

-----

SILER
                          Yeah, maybe.
                          (Turns to Hammond)
                          Sir, it's all theoretical, but we think that Stargates are basically giant superconductors. Charged matter streams along lines of force between them.
                          According to those shows, the stargate breaks an objects molecules down into their constituent atoms, charge them, and then shoot those atoms through the wormhole. A ring transport does the same thing, but does it without the wormhole, which is why it's only used for short distances.

I did see the reference you're refering to in 48 Hours, but I'm pretty sure that's just another case of the writers being inconsistent with the terminology they're using. In this case, you have to ask yourself, which is more likely: It takes an order of magnitude more energy to convert people into energy than it does to break their molecules into atoms, because the binding energy of molecules is much much lower than the binding energy of atoms.

It looks to me that whoever wrote that episode was being inconsistent with what the series had already establish.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

All that you have quoted are them saying matter stream, they have never said in the show that the stargate breaks you down to your constituent atoms, however they do say that the stargate converts you into energy.

And contrary to what you said it would be far more difficult to breakyou down into atoms and send you through the wormhole and then reasemble you, the gate would have to put the atoms back exactly were they were, somehow physically grabing the atoms and puting them in place, if you were dematerialized any energy passing through the wormhole, as wel as your own could simply be rematerialized into whatever form was recorded by the event horizon. I know there is something that I am missing that will prove my point something that is right in the back of my head but I can't think of it. If I think of it I will post, if someone else can tell me what I am forgeting please tell me.

Basically breaking you down into atoms, transporting them and reasembling them would be far more trouble than it is worth, why would you do something the hard way when it can be just as good, maybe better the easy way.

Owen Macri

Comment

ok here is a new question/topic:

what do we think the drones/glowing jelly fish of doom are? are they mini robots or are they biological or both? the closeup form "Rising" it looked like it might have had a living skin or something. any thoughts on the GJFOD?

Comment

I think that it would be pretty neat if we find out that the Ancients used to 'grow' the jellyofdooms. The skin does look biological, but they seem to run off a power source. Whatever they're made of must be REALLY tough, to withstand all of those impacts with ships
                                LANDRY
                                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Working...
                                X