Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tech discussion thread! (possible spoilers for any season, SG-1 and Atlantis)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not good to be the last thread in a folder, so I'll do a little bumping

Originally posted by spg_1983
    oops typo. yes it is required to operate the devices but why? and if it is drawing energy from the person using it, how and what does that do to the person? the naquada in a persons system cant be infinite unless they replace it somehow, and even the goa'uld must have to have more put into their systems every couple centuries or something to replace what has been used
    I always thought that once you had a host for a certain amount of time, your body would just start making small amounts of naquadah naturally. As for why all Goa'uld tech has naquadah, its probably either because of naquadah's properties(it can form wormholes, for goodness sake!) or that by having the naquadah in the device, it could only be used by people who have naquadah in their blood stream. But wouldnt that mean Jaffa, too?
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
      Its not good to be the last thread in a folder, so I'll do a little bumping

I always thought that once you had a host for a certain amount of time, your body would just start making small amounts of naquadah naturally. As for why all Goa'uld tech has naquadah, its probably either because of naquadah's properties(it can form wormholes, for goodness sake!) or that by having the naquadah in the device, it could only be used by people who have naquadah in their blood stream. But wouldnt that mean Jaffa, too?
      yay someone actually wants to keep this thread going!

ok but how would the body start making naquada? its an element, the body cant just produce it.

you're right, if the naquada in the blood stream was meant as a "key" so to speak, then the jaffa should be able to use hand devices and such. there was one time that a jaffa priest was appearently using a healing device, in the episdoe where we first meet ry'ac, but i think that was just a mistake because it was early in the first season and a lot of other things from that episode have since been contradicted.

i really wish they would explain in some episode, the whole naquada in the blood thing better.

Comment

isn't the naqueda in the blood thing a result of the symbiote? it has a special protien marker that it leaves in you as well. perhaps the symbiotes had a food source or something on P3X-888 from which they gained naqueda, and from that, after millions of years, it just became standard in their blood stream. i do agree, though, they need to explain the whole thing better.
        ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
          perhaps the symbiotes had a food source or something on P3X-888 from which they gained naqueda, and from that, after millions of years, it just became standard in their blood stream.
          mmm... Goa'uld just love their weapons grade naquada inriched chocosmothies!
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          LANDRY
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
            isn't the naqueda in the blood thing a result of the symbiote? it has a special protien marker that it leaves in you as well. perhaps the symbiotes had a food source or something on P3X-888 from which they gained naqueda, and from that, after millions of years, it just became standard in their blood stream. i do agree, though, they need to explain the whole thing better.
            yes the naquada comes from the symbiote but since it some of it is released into the host over time shouldnt the symbiote run out or need to be repleneshed? naquada is a quartz like element so its not like its something that they can produce biologically.

Comment

Few questions:
              1. Who built those minds that Sam and her pops had to disarm and move to stop a Goa'uld meeting?
              2. Do the Goa'uld share technology extensively? Apophus was after some creatures for their cloak abilities, but a few shows later everyone had cloaking technology! It became common practice... even the Goa'uld who was stuck one Earth had it... Urg... the one that took over Daniel's friend....
              3. What powers the squiddy things?
              4. What other power sources do the Ancients use? What do the Asgard use? Is Naquada, Naquadria, the main sources of power of all of the SG universe?
              5. Why does the SG flush?
              6. I don't know for sure.. but the SG from the movie and the show don't look the same... Are they different?
              7. Why don't people traveling through the gate feel cold anymore like in the movie?

Comment

Originally posted by SG Zero
                Few questions:
                1. Who built those minds that Sam and her pops had to disarm and move to stop a Goa'uld meeting?
                2. Do the Goa'uld share technology extensively? Apophus was after some creatures for their cloak abilities, but a few shows later everyone had cloaking technology! It became common practice... even the Goa'uld who was stuck one Earth had it... Urg... the one that took over Daniel's friend....
                3. What powers the squiddy things?
                4. What other power sources do the Ancients use? What do the Asgard use? Is Naquada, Naquadria, the main sources of power of all of the SG universe?
                5. Why does the SG flush?
                6. I don't know for sure.. but the SG from the movie and the show don't look the same... Are they different?
                7. Why don't people traveling through the gate feel cold anymore like in the movie?
                Ok, I'll do my best!
                1)The Tobins(From the Tobin system). They were related to the Phoenicians.
                2) They were after the Nox, and I think that they already had cloaking tech, just not good cloaking tech.
                3)Not sure. I think a ZPM would work, an individual power cell, or they somehow recieve power from the operator device
                4)The Ancients used ZPM's, mostly. I dont know about the Asgard. Naquadah is common, but I dont think that many other races use it as a power source. Tau'ri mostly use Naquadah/Naquadria, and probably so do the Kelowans.
                5)The Flush is better known as the "Kawoosh". I guess its nessary for a stable event horizon. It destroys all matter in it's way. The Iris isn't Kawooshed away because it's too close to the event horizon for the kawoosh to form.
                6)Probably. The movie isn't conisdered cannon by some.
                And finally, 7)Again, some people dont consider the movie cannon. My question is why dont people fall down when coming through the gate anymore? Even people who go for the first time dont fall like they did in season 1.

Hope this helps!
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Here's a few more.... I'd really appreciate the input... I'd welcome more specifics to the first set even though 6thmonolith did a great job!

1. Is it possible that the Asgard have a ZPM like power supply that can boost the Stargate? They apparently weren't surprised when Jack came through... I imagine they can do it, too. Is it possible SG1 will get it?
                  2. What powers other Ancient tech like the PJ, personal shields, various smaller objects that don't require a ZPM.
                  3. Why is it assumed that the transporter (Ep with Maybourne and Jack) was Furling? Just a hope or was there a reason? It doesn't seem like a matter transporter is all that advanced in the SG world since every other race has some form or another of it.
                  4. Where is Earth getting trinium from now?
                  5. How do they get Naquadah in liquid form?! I don't think they can heat it...
                  6. What do you need for Naquadria... I remember it wasn't exactly the same as Naquadah, and how does Earth get the materials for it... I imagine the Kelowans aren't too willing to send us over too much.
                  7. Also, I don't think the Goa'uld use Naquadria... so do they have another form of power since they're using hyperdrives that are too much for the standard Naquadah reactor?
                  8. I missed what the Tobin are.... Any explanation on them?
                  9. When SG1 opened the multiple worm holes to every gate, what if you stepped through one?
                  Last edited by SG Zero; 14 April 2005, 05:43 PM. Reason: One more ques

Comment

1. The Asgard probably don't have ZPM:s, but they have very powerful reactors. We know they can dial 8 chevrons with their little wireless palm pilot-rock.
                    2. The PJ's might not have a reactor, but a battery that's automaticly recharged upon return to the PJ Hangar. Other stuff might be everything from Naquadah to magic.
                    3. It was furling technology and furling writing.
                    4. Mining operations off-world.
                    5. Unknown.
                    6. You need Naquadah, pressure, heat and particles(resulting in cold fusion IIRC). Can't remember if it was leptons or muons or something)
                    7. Our standard Nq-reactor has about 250g/0.5lbs Naquadah in them, can't remember the exact amout, was a few months since i calculated it. The Goa'uld vessels might have several 100 kilos, but they still rely on Naquadah.
                    8. The Tobin are an extinct society(of humans?) that left behind an advanced huge mine field.

7*: Did the calcuations again:

The Gate weighs 64,000lbs. That's 30,000kg. The detonation of the gate would result in 2-3GT, I used 2.5GT to calculate. 2500000kT/30,000kg =~ 83kT/kg. an Earth Mark I Nq-reactor would detonate with a force of 20kT. Simple math from there: 83kT*x kg = 20kT. 20kT/83kTkg = 0.24kg.
                    Last edited by aAnubiSs; 14 April 2005, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I have a question, to help keep this thread alive. I dont know if this has been answered, but why are the constalations on the Stargate the constalations on earth, and not the ones at the Ancient homeworld? I've just been wondering...
                      LANDRY
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

The symbols on the Stargate were only recognized to be constelations in the movie, it was never established in the show. Also in the show the ancients homeworld hasn't been established either, however I still believe that the ancient homeworld was Earth.

Owen Macri

Comment

I have a question, to help keep this thread alive. I dont know if this has been answered, but why are the constalations on the Stargate the constalations on earth, and not the ones at the Ancient homeworld? I've just been wondering...
                          the constelations thing has never actually been addressed in the show, it was established in the movie but not followed up in the show because it doesnt work for the premise of the show. i came up with a theory to reconcile it that basically says: the symbols on the gate are not based off the constelations as seen from earth. they are strictly Ancient symbols who's actual meanings are not known. what happened is that when the goa'uld ruled earth the stargate would have been seen as a object of awe and worship. the ancient humans saw the symbols on the gate and then drew them in the skies with the stars.
                          and it has never been established where the Ancient homeworld is, although some believe it is earth, a theory i vehemenetly oppose.

Comment

That is a definite posibility, as for the location of the ancient homeworld I am not going to argue about it here seeing as we have gone into it in other threads, and this thread is not of the correct subject. However I will say that it would be audience oriented to make Earth the Ancient homeworld, everybody likes it when the universe seems to revolve around them.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                              the constelations thing has never actually been addressed in the show, it was established in the movie but not followed up in the show because it doesnt work for the premise of the show. i came up with a theory to reconcile it that basically says: the symbols on the gate are not based off the constelations as seen from earth. they are strictly Ancient symbols who's actual meanings are not known. what happened is that when the goa'uld ruled earth the stargate would have been seen as a object of awe and worship. the ancient humans saw the symbols on the gate and then drew them in the skies with the stars.
                              and it has never been established where the Ancient homeworld is, although some believe it is earth, a theory i vehemenetly oppose.
                              Hmmmm... Here Are the symbols. They seem pretty earth-like to me. Could it be that the Ancients settled on Atlantus before they made the 'Gates?
                              LANDRY
                              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Hmmmm... Here Are the symbols. They seem pretty earth-like to me. Could it be that the Ancients settled on Atlantus before they made the 'Gates?
                                how are they earth like? what does that even mean? the antartic gate was over 50 million years old. 50 million years ago, the constelations as we consider them did not exist. the stars have changed considerably since then.
                                also constelations would serve as about the poorest mapping system for traversing space. constelations are stars spread out over millions of light years, you need single points in space to map a 3 dimensional course.

Comment

Working...
                                X