No announcement yet.

Asgard Beam weapon vs Drones. which is the all around better weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if drones where available , would you put them on destiny , or put a energy weapon that doesn't need ammo .
    also it's not economical to put an ammo weapon on a ship designed for long-term travel.
    nuff said

Comment

ok how about a drone-APBW combination , the APBW fires and drones go inside it , or behind
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        although 1-on-1 an APBW is more powerful, drones can be fired in large swarms. so it depends on who you fight.
        You don't need large swarms of drones to equal an APBW tbh.

if i fought the wraith, and they are the force they're supposed to be, then drones FTW.

however a force like the goauld: APBW's. if you can power APBW's you have the shields to withstand their attacks long enough to instagib them.
        I agree with this. If you're facing a few Ha'taks you don't need to waste drones on them, your shields will hold and you can pick them off one by one, if there's 30 Ha'taks though it's time for an ungodly drone swarm.

so IMO it depends on the DPS the enemy can deal.
        Indeed.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

You don't need large swarms of drones to equal an APBW tbh.
          well not "large" swarms. i should've specified.

5-10 drones seem to equal an APBW.

there does seem to be a massive difference between when drones are fired one-by-one or when fired in a swarm. swarms seem to be more effective, becoming beam-like.

Comment

it would be nice if the drones communicated like a cluster intellect
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

ì believe they do

Comment

So do i , back to the point what do you think about mini-drones millions of them
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

Why not build a bigger size of drone? If the little ones do as much damage as they do then why not build a larger one with a more powerful disruptor generator + warhead or whatever they use.

Comment

mini-drones are much nicer , imagine a mini-drones weapon like a gun , fire 10 shots and take down a Al'Kesh
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

Comment

drones are better for 2 reasons. in the time it takes the APBW to fire 3 shots a jumper can fire its entire loadout (12-14 drones) or a "ground" based launcher can fire several thousand.

the ouher reason is even more powerful. the drones can TRACK A MOVING TARGET
                      And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

drones are better for 2 reasons. in the time it takes the APBW to fire 3 shots a jumper can fire its entire loadout (12-14 drones) or a "ground" based launcher can fire several thousand.

the ouher reason is even more powerful. the drones can TRACK A MOVING TARGET

APBW's are stronger and can easily defeat an ori warship whereas drones are weaker.

also Drones are more like jack of all trades. APBW's remove the need to worry about anything at the receiving ed

Comment

APBW's are stronger and can easily defeat an ori warship whereas drones are weaker.

also Drones are more like jack of all trades. APBW's remove the need to worry about anything at the receiving ed
                          yes A beam is more powerful than A drone but drones are rarely if ever fired in singles. even in the pilot EP. shepard was firing then in 3's to garentee a kill. in No Mans Land the Orion CUT A HIVE IN HALF with a voley of drones. also as with most DEW's the APBW tends to deliver most of its energy on the surface of the target whereas a drone can punch thru before detonating.

as for the beams not needing to wory about the reciving end, to hit a moving target at a range of more than a few miles (yes i know the show never has them antyhing other than hull to hull but c'mon thats just stupid in a space based fight) you need to lead your target and that means the target can turn whereas a GPW can track and folow a target no mater how it twists and turns
                          And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

A single Asgard Plasma Beam is stronger than a single drone yes but when you start firing groups of drones at once the odds switch right around.

A jack of all trades? Whatever that means. A group of drones can do anything an APBW can do and more with the possible exception of ground bombardment.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

as for the beams not needing to wory about the reciving end, to hit a moving target at a range of more than a few miles (yes i know the show never has them antyhing other than hull to hull but c'mon thats just stupid in a space based fight) you need to lead your target and that means the target can turn whereas a GPW can track and folow a target no mater how it twists and turns
                              firing multiple beams in a grid works just fine. unless you're an idiot and you fire beams in succession, in which case we get Kindred kind of crap.
                              A single Asgard Plasma Beam is stronger than a single drone yes but when you start firing groups of drones at once the odds switch right around.
                              isn't that the equivalent of an APBW array? as in, " APBW's on an O'neill" in stead of our crappy, small human ships.

A jack of all trades? Whatever that means. A group of drones can do anything an APBW can do and more with the possible exception of ground bombardment.
                              Drones can be used for surgical attacks. well APBW's too if your opponent is big. anyway, an APBW exists to turn your enemies into half-molten wrecks. Drones can do multiple, more precise tasks.

still, i'd never build a ship using drones alone or APBW's alone. APBW's are crap against small ships and drones easily run out unless you have massive drone stores. which requires lots of industy.

for drones: combine with a rapid-fire plasma gun or so. as long as it doesn't run out

APBW: combine with some high-speed accurate weapon, like a rapidfire plasma gun. also CIWS is preferred (you don't need them with drones but still, it does use up drones)

Comment

y'know this arguement is kinda pointless. i agree with killman, they both have their place in battle. its basicly asking which is better, a cannon(large modern gun, not the black powder cannon) or a missile

Comment

Working...
                                X