Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the ship models in Atlantis copyrighted by MGM or anyone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the ship models in Atlantis copyrighted by MGM or anyone?

Hi,
    I would like to find out if the models used in Atlantis and SG-1 are copyrighted. I need to find out as someone i know has made a film and used a model of the Aurora class ancient ship and has been telling people it's his own work.
    Betrayed

If your friend made the model himself then it is his own work. So he's not breaking any copyright laws.

If it is the studio model (unlikely), then he's in trouble if he says it's his own work.

hope this helps.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by InUtero View Post
      Hi,
      I would like to find out if the models used in Atlantis and SG-1 are copyrighted. I need to find out as someone i know has made a film and used a model of the Aurora class ancient ship and has been telling people it's his own work.
      I would would be a little cautious about using that model because MGM would be all over him if he is breaking any copyright laws, he should probably ask MGM if they would be OK with it first, just to make sure they wont sue.
      Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
        I would would be a little cautious about using that model because MGM would be all over him if he is breaking any copyright laws, he should probably ask MGM if they would be OK with it first, just to make sure they wont sue.
        lol I don't think MGM is going to be sueing lone individuals for going around and breaking copywright laws with no monetary damages to themselves. They'd be spending a lot of money in court to save no money in the end. Just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
          lol I don't think MGM is going to be sueing lone individuals for going around and breaking copywright laws with no monetary damages to themselves. They'd be spending a lot of money in court to save no money in the end. Just not worth it.
          I guess thats true cause if they did i think most of us on the forum would have been basicly Naild to the wall by now.
          Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

If its the original studio model, and he got it legally, then all he would have to do is leave a copyright to the original modeler. If he modeled it then all he would have to do is credit MGM and Stargate as the original concepts.
            Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
              If its the original studio model, and he got it legally, then all he would have to do is leave a copyright to the original modeler. If he modeled it then all he would have to do is credit MGM and Stargate as the original concepts.
              If that were true you could just build the Millenium Falcon or the Enterprise

Why would he were rebuilding the model for his own movie? If you have the talent to do that, you can just as easily design your own.

You could build a model that looks like it could be from Star Wars or a Federation Starship but I wouldn't use the exact same ship.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                If that were true you could just build the Millenium Falcon or the Enterprise

Why would he were rebuilding the model for his own movie? If you have the talent to do that, you can just as easily design your own.

You could build a model that looks like it could be from Star Wars or a Federation Starship but I wouldn't use the exact same ship.
                Because it good test of one skill to see if they can imitate tv models and how closely they can get their stuff looking to the original, and make your stuff look just as good. When you get to that stage of skill you know you ready to actually think about going into the industry or doing a bit of free lance work on the side.

And it so pleasurable that after hours or sometimes days on a model to see a final render of it on one screen.

And well why someone may have the skill to produce the model, it harder, much harder to actually come up with a original model.

Comment

whats the film he has made ?

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                  X