Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well some Lantian ships had to have ZPMs, as we are specifically told by the Wraith that ZPMs they used to power the cloning facility were taken from captured Lantian ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Tain View Post
      Well some Lantian ships had to have ZPMs, as we are specifically told by the Wraith that ZPMs they used to power the cloning facility were taken from captured Lantian ships.
      I dont think they would have desined them to run soully on ZPMs, i mean it wouldnt make sence to use only one power source they must have had a back up system for when they were not using the ZPM such as in a non-combat opperation or while they were out of hyperspace. But thats just me.
      Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
        I dont think they would have desined them to run soully on ZPMs, i mean it wouldnt make sence to use only one power source they must have had a back up system for when they were not using the ZPM such as in a non-combat opperation or while they were out of hyperspace. But thats just me.
        The writers aren't big on giving SG ships backup power sources. Though you are right its just common sense that ships and cities would have secondary power sources in case of emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
          Wouldnt be nuclear. But yes some power plant. Also Arcturus would have succeeded likely if that planet wasn't under attack the whole time and they weren't rushed. I dunno if it was every mention but I think Atlantis was originally on the planet Arcturus was being researched on. When the power source started having problems and they realized they couldn't make it work under the situation and left to Lantea so they could submerge the city.
          Arcturus has been shot down...you simply have no way to contain all the exotic particles (which apparently don't obey the laws of physics, by the way). We almost got arcturus to work, and if we found some way of pinpointing certain universes, I'm sure we could make the project from McKay and Mrs. Miller work. I actually see that being used to our advantage anyway...what if all you need to do is create a container of sorts for your contained subspace to be stored in? Could you then use the device McKay and Jeannie whipped up to recharge dead ZPMs? I mean, clearly, some of them aren't recoverable, like the one on Proclarush Taonas (charred), but others just seem to stop glowing when they're through. Just a thought, probably means nothing...
          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ..::597820::.. View Post
            ok. but i'm not talking about the general run of the mill uranium fission reaction. consider controlled nuclear fusion reactions (fusion be the reaction that occurs in stars), and with them being ancients they would probably have some somphisticated method of harnessing 99% of the energy released. also, nuclear fusion has considerably less radioactive waste by products - which is the result of inefficient reactions.

DHDs run on cold fusion reactors, i'm sure i heard it mentioned before.

So they did use it for some things.

Comment

Cold Fusion reactors ?
              On something that small ?
              ...I don't know.., isn't that somewhat dangerous.

Comment

they used cold fusion to give power to the gate in Prisoners, but it doesnt need cold fusion because in 1969 they used car engines to provide energy to dial the gate, in Torment of Tantalus they used lightning, in every situation the gate was dialed manually, by its self the DHD uses crystals.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Penguinarmy[/QUOTE
                  DHDs run on cold fusion reactors, i'm sure i heard it mentioned before.

So they did use it for some things.
                  Yeah, that was a make-shift power supply used by SG-1 in order to escape a planet with no DHD.

Originally posted by pbutter
                  Cold Fusion reactors ?
                  On something that small ?
                  ...I don't know.., isn't that somewhat dangerous.
                  Of course not. Fusion works in the real world due to the pressure (heat) that atoms experience inside stars and reactors.
                  Cold fusion is fusion that occurs at near-room temperature, which is why they call it COLD fusion. It'd be safe as long as it's shielded properly.

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
                  they used cold fusion to give power to the gate in Prisoners, but it doesnt need cold fusion because in 1969 they used car engines to provide energy to dial the gate
                  Right, but they didn't have a car in Prisoners, so Cold Fusion did the trick

All kidding aside, they'd have to run that car engine for days in order to power a dead gate. Figuring that truck was only running for ~5 minutes, that would put out approximately 30 kWh. That's no where near enough power to open the gate.

in Torment of Tantalus they used lightning...
                  If you can travel through time with 1.21 gigawatts, then you should be able to open a wormhole, right?

...in every situation the gate was dialed manually, by its self the DHD uses crystals.
                  Ever notice how the writers never get into power output or power consumption when they're talking about technology? If they need a big number to make it sound difficult, they write something like:

"We need power."
                  "How much?"
                  "A lot."

Sometimes the writers do comparisons with stuff we know, like when they described the Asurans condensing into a material that had the mass of a neutron star. Then we can at least get approximations.

Just once I'd love to hear how many homes a MK I Naquadah Reactor could power, and for how long.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

LANDRY
                    I understand you're dealing with a little power shortage. How much do you need?
                    CARTER
                    Uh, well, about 700 gigawatts. That's roughly eighty percent of the power generating capacity of the continental United States.
                    LANDRY
                    So, it's doable then.
                    CARTER
                    (gulping)
                    I'm sorry. I don't understand.
                    HAMMOND
                    We've known about the condition of the ZPM for some time, Colonel. In addition to our Major Carter's research, as a backup we've been building an infrastructure to channel energy to the Ancient chair directly from the U.S. power grid.
                    -------

Closest power figures we've seen so far on Stargate. The particular example above was for putting the planet out of phase using Arthur's Mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                      Of course not. Fusion works in the real world due to the pressure (heat) that atoms experience inside stars and reactors.
                      Cold fusion is fusion that occurs at near-room temperature, which is why they call it COLD fusion. It'd be safe as long as it's shielded properly.
                      But unfortunately, Cold fusion only works in theory. ...for now.

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                      Just once I'd love to hear how many homes a MK I Naquadah Reactor could power, and for how long."
                      I don't remember which episode, but, i remember Carter (or someone) saying that a Naquada Reactor (Mk.1, i'm assuming) generates about as much power as a Nuclear Reactor, however, we don't know what kind of Nuclear reactor she was speaking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                        LANDRY
                        I understand you're dealing with a little power shortage. How much do you need?
                        CARTER
                        Uh, well, about 700 gigawatts. That's roughly eighty percent of the power generating capacity of the continental United States.
                        LANDRY
                        So, it's doable then.
                        CARTER
                        (gulping)
                        I'm sorry. I don't understand.
                        HAMMOND
                        We've known about the condition of the ZPM for some time, Colonel. In addition to our Major Carter's research, as a backup we've been building an infrastructure to channel energy to the Ancient chair directly from the U.S. power grid.
                        The sad thing is that the writers apparently had no clue that there is no way to channel energy from the US to Antarctica. Seriously. You can't use conventional power lines because it would take years to build them and the loss of power due to transmission would be huge; you'd lose so much power transmitting it that far a distance that it wouldn't even be worth the effort. Not to mention that conventional power lines wouldn't work when you're transmitting that much juice.

The only conventional way to get that much power to Antarctica would be sailing the entire world nuclear fleet down there and use their reactors to power the thing.

But unfortunately, Cold fusion only works in theory. ...for now.
                        Ah, no, it doesn't even work in theory. It works in some hypotheses, but when those hypotheses are tested, the results are never reproducible, which usually means the experiment was flawed in some way.

I don't remember which episode, but, i remember Carter (or someone) saying that a Naquada Reactor (Mk.1, i'm assuming) generates about as much power as a Nuclear Reactor, however, we don't know what kind of Nuclear reactor she was speaking of.
                        A Naquadah reactor is a nuclear reactor. It's just that Naquadah is magical, so you can make these tiny reactors that put out the same power and no waste.

Anyway, nuke plants vary so much in their output that that comparison is not all that helpful.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

They'd moved the drone platform chair into the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                            They'd moved the drone platform chair into the SGC.
                            wasn't it area 51

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                            X