No announcement yet.

Pegasus gates vs Milky Way gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i only realy watch Atlantis, if seen some of SG-1 but not alot. But ent the gates just big enough to fit a puddle jumper through!
    This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
    Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
    we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StevenCaldwell View Post
      i only realy watch Atlantis, if seen some of SG-1 but not alot. But ent the gates just big enough to fit a puddle jumper through!
      At the end of SG1 season 8 the ori manage to get a working super stargate to allow the big toilet ships to travel quickly between galaxies.
      sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
        At the end of SG1 season 8 the ori manage to get a working super stargate to allow the big toilet ships to travel quickly between galaxies.
        Season 9.
        8 had the great Oniell still in it.

That gate reminds me of the Halo ring in the Halo 2.
        Big rings= big trouble
        Last edited by Kingomon; 05 January 2007, 06:23 AM.
        Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
        Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
        new enemy of the Ori
        At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

maybe with that whole mistake thing theres like a few second delay if theres too long a gap between the chevrons then it just resets itself turning off the lit up chevrons and not dialing anywhere and the ancients where in the Milky Way, then Pegasus and then back to the Milky Way where some mixed in with us (hence some humans having the ATA gene!!!!) and others lived in seclusion and ascended!!!!

Adamus

Comment

Personally I prefer the Milky Way Gates.

Although the only gate that literally spins is the SGC gate, we know they were all supposed to do this. - The Alpha gate (Found in Giza by Professor Langford, unlocked by Dr Jackson and used by the SGC now) and the Beta Gate (Discovered in Antarctica in "Solitudes" used by the SGC from season 4 - 6, and destroyed near Earth) both spinned while at the SGC, even though in Solitudes, the Beta Gate has a fixed bevel, as did the Alpha gate when it was beamed up to the Beliskner in “Nemesis.”

The reason I mention this is because we have seen the rotating bevel used to manually dial the gate in the past. (Torment of Tantalus) wheras the Pegasus gates have no manual dial system, as McKay has shouted more than once. If SGA 1 get stuck offworld, they need the Daedalus to beam them up. SG1 can usually jimmy the Milky Way gates if they need to in order to get home.
            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

The only electronic stargates in the PG are those in Ancient outposts, they are the fastest their is, however normal gates in the PG and the MW dial at the same speed. The earth gates were the slowest ones
              sigpic
              Spoiler:
              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
              Forum Charmer
              Forum Ambassador
              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Well as the Pegasus gates havent got an inner spinning wheel. So I'd say its a few seconds faster. It would be even faster if the Milky Way gate's inner ring got really rusty

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

every wilky way gate (with a dhd) dial at the same speed as well the pegasus gates, there isn't any gate (of the same galaxy) than dial faster than another, and every pg gate have to splin, look episodes like "Home"
                  Patito

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                    Don't the DHD's typically dial as fast as you can hit the buttons?
                    I know that on Earth with our makeshift DHD it takes a few seconds but we've seen episodes where they dial the DHD's as fast as we can type on our keyboards.
                    The key to it all is that the gate actually has to lock the chevrons in place, so I guess the real question you want is do either of the Gate systems(Pegasus or Milky Way) actually spin faster than the other one.

My answer would be: I have no idea.
                    its weird but pegasus gates take time to dial
                    you hit the glyph on the dhd and it lights up to that place like manually dialing,
                    but just a little faster.
                    so
                    MW gates faster P gates= sucky...
                    "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT"

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                      Well as the Pegasus gates havent got an inner spinning wheel. So I'd say its a few seconds faster. It would be even faster if the Milky Way gate's inner ring got really rusty
                      NAQAHDAH DOESENT RUST....
                      "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT"

Comment

As has been said before Pegasus gates are faster because they don't have to spin.
                        LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                        Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                        99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

Nope. I really dont see the point in this. The time it takes to dial depends on how much time the plot needs o.O
                          Havent you guys been watching the whole tv show ? It`s not a fix amount of time.

And for ori/mw being older, even though when they started the thread wasnt available, in AOT is shown that there were no stargates in the ori galaxy.

Probably the ascended ori created one just to conquer earth.

Oh, and a few things.
                          Pegasus gates lights spin, off world also, and the same goes to MW, it doesnt in all episodes, because they forgot, or they plot needed it to dial faster.

Comment

With a DHD it doesn't need to spin, you type the symbols and the chevrons engage. Earth's dialing device takes so long because it's a computerized manual dial. However, if given enough time the gate will spin. Look at rising part two, the first chevron has time to spin and does so but the rest don't so they don't.
                            Originally posted by Craig Charles
                            "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Talking about rising.. if you look when the wraith call teyla`s planet gate, you can clearly see the lights spinning...
                              And I guess most of the episodes in SG1 when they are offworld and they are receiving a call the gate spins...
                              I guess it was supposed to spin ( either the inner ring or just the lights ) but they just forget from time to time..

Comment

Hi all.

I also replied on the other post regarding the differences in the gates; The very first time I saw the Atlantis stargate I've always thought it is a "digital" gate, it cannot be dial manually; The Milky Way gate (SG-1) is an "analogue" gate, it is as good as comparing how fast you dial on a:

-good old rotary phone &
                                -a push-button phone

I think the basic mechanics of dialing a Milky Way gate is the same wherever you are, I think it is just the show trying to cut down on the sometimes rather lengthy spinning of the inner ring with all the symbols, or addresses.

- the inner ring of the Milky Way gate will always spin when you push one symbol at a time, I think
                                - once the symbol "hits" the right chevron, it will "lock" in place

The Atlantis gate works the same way, but instead of an inner spinning ring, the symbol electronically/digitally "spins" and "lands" on the right chevron to lock in place

So I thought the Atlantis gate will dial faster, compare to the MW's; The disadvantage is, if you can't find a DHD or the DHD is damaged, there is probably no way you can do a "manual dial", that would make interesting story in Atlantis.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X