Daedalus landing on Atlantis (question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    As much as I hate to argue against my own side, I believe that thing is actually the "engine/ion cannon/brass tube thing" that you can see in the huge photo on the previous page (it's spoilered; look opposite the "front gates" of Atlantis, ie. the pier with all of the vertical fins on it and the Origin-symbol like projection at the very front).

Sorry I can't make the description clearer, but since this photo is obviously a stock shot, it's unlikely they'll have the Deady in there.
    Actually, if you are reffering to what I think you are, that "brass thingy" is on the two connected piers, and as in the photo, those are already accounted for. And there are two with a origin type "projection". One is really skinny, the other is fatter and more rounded. Yeah, a better pic would help. But as this is from the show, it's not gonna be that good. They don't show the Daedalus when it's landed, or in the process of landing. And if you pay attention, you'll notice that they reuse shots like crazy. The two times they have shown the Daedalus landing, it was the same exact shot used for both, from the Siege Pt3.

But on the other hand. Would you agree about the size points I made? And what do you think about those?

On a side note.....WOO HOOO 1000 posts!!!!!!!!
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla
      Actually, PG-15 nearly hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the light posts.
      Actually, that would've been me.

Given the Daedalus's size, I don't see it landing on the pier.

As for the object, that looks curiously like the Orion.
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post

Why does it only have to be transcripts? We have images RIGHT HERE showing that the Deady SINKS into whatever it is that it's landing on; last I checked, you can't sink into Concrete/Metal/Atlantis.

How about the fact that the two ships have different shapes?

Also, when's the last time the Prommie had a chance to land in water?

And SOMEONE hasn't been watching it!

Gateworld ain't canon baby. Only what we see and hear in the episode, which in this case is a contradiction, unforunately.

And If I do provide proof don't forget to actually look at it!

KABOOM!!!
        Ok let see.

So you said I’m wrong about Daedalus landing on Atlantis
        The Characters on Atlantis is wrong about Daedalus landing on Atlantis and the script writers.
        You said Gateworld (transcript) is wrong about Daedalus landing on Atlantis
        And the transcript from another site that I provided is wrong.

Do you see the problem here?

All you have shown me is a picture, which YOU believe is the ship landing on water

What would it take to convince you other wise? To see the ship in person landing with your own two eyes.

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
        Actually, PG-15 nearly hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the light posts. You can clearly see that there is another pier in the background when the Daedalus lands. But where the lamp posts are important is, they mark the endges of the piers. Clearly, the Daedalus is outside of these light posts. Also, people tend to over estimate the size of Atlantis and under estimate the size of the Daedalus. I believe that Atlantis is only 1.5 kilometers across or about 9/10ths of a mile, and the Daedalus is about 450 meters. So, Daedalus is close to one third the size of Atlantis. Or, if the 1.5kilometers was just for the piers, then the Daedalus would be one third the size of the piers. And that would still be too big for the Daedalus to land on the piers. There is not enough space. There is no area that covers 1/3 of the pier that is open and clear to land something that big. So, if there is no space large enough to hold the Daedalus, then the logical conclusion would be that the Daedalus lands on the water.

I've included a pic taken from Misbegotten that shows something on the water next to the pier. You can't really tell what it is, but it does appear to be on the water and not connected to the pier itself.
        I like I said with PG15 please provide the proof that Atlantis is that size.

KABOOM!!!
        How low can you get copying what I say BooyakaA(R)
        Last edited by Nightgod; 10 November 2006, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgod View Post
          Ok let see.

The Characters on Atlantis is wrong about Daedalus landing on Atlantis and the script writers.

All you have shown me is a picture, which YOU believe is the ship landing on water

What would it take to convince you other wise? To see the ship in person landing with your own two eyes.

I like I said with PG15 please provide the proof that Atlantis is that size.

They state so in an episode. Also, there is a thread that discusses the size of Atlantis. But long story short, Bruce Woloshyn, a digital effects supervisor for the show says that Atlantis is about 1.3 km from edge to edge. And since that is coming from a person from the show, I'd say that it should be strongly considered canon.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ze+of+Atlantis
          or if you need more evidence, hre ya go:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=27438&page=5

So, if we take that as fact, then Atlantis is smaller than people think just as I have said and would be too small for the Daedalus to land on. Which leaves only one thing, that the Daedalus lands on the water. Also, if they say they are landing "on" Atlantis, that doesn't necessarily mean they are physically ON Atlantis itself. It very well could mean either Atlantis the planet or Atlantis the general area of the city including the water in between the piers as that would be considered a part of Atlantis too.

Comment

They state so in an episode. Also, there is a thread that discusses the size of Atlantis. But long story short, Bruce Woloshyn, a digital effects supervisor for the show says that Atlantis is about 1.3 km from edge to edge. And since that is coming from a person from the show, I'd say that it should be strongly considered canon.

So, if we take that as fact, then Atlantis is smaller than people think just as I have said and would be too small for the Daedalus to land on. Which leaves only one thing, that the Daedalus lands on the water. Also, if they say they are landing "on" Atlantis, that doesn't necessarily mean they are physically ON Atlantis itself. It very well could mean either Atlantis the planet or Atlantis the general area of the city including the water in between the piers as that would be considered a part of Atlantis too.
            And let's not forget, the Daedalus from the stern to bow is about as long as one of Atlantis's central tiers is in height.

As to why it could be designed for water travel, perhaps it's base on Earth is underwater? Just an idea.

Comment

EDIT: Actually, I didn't read every single post and didn't see that you had said basically the same thing as PG15. So I was originally reffering to his post.

But to be honest, I think the Orion would be far too large to fit there. It dwarfs the Daedalus, and the Big D is not exactly tiny in comparrison to Atlantis. Not huge I know, but big enough to not fit directly on the piers. From the implications seen on screen, the Aurora class ships would be nearly as large as Atlantis.

Check the included pic and you'll see why I think the Aurora class ships are HUUUGE and far too big to land in or on Atlantis.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Freekzilla; 10 November 2006, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I got this from the 1st link a user posted, look at vfxsoup title

I did not get a chance to go through all the post.
                Last edited by Nightgod; 10 November 2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Actually, I didn't read every single post and didn't see that you had said basically the same thing as PG15. So I was originally reffering to his post.

But to be honest, I think the Orion would be far too large to fit there. It dwarfs the Daedalus, and the Big D is not exactly tiny in comparrison to Atlantis. Not huge I know, but big enough to not fit directly on the piers. From the implications seen on screen, the Aurora class ships would be nearly as large as Atlantis.

Check the included pic and you'll see why I think the Aurora class ships are HUUUGE and far too big to land in or on Atlantis.
                  The one flaw with that picture is that the Aurora class ship is given an unfair advantage against the Daedalus in perspective. We're seeing Daedalus a bit in the distance jump into hyperspace, whereas, the camera's view is focused on the Orion.

Comment

The one flaw with that picture is that the Aurora class ship is given an unfair advantage against the Daedalus in perspective. We're seeing Daedalus a bit in the distance jump into hyperspace, whereas, the camera's view is focused on the Orion.
                    True to an extent. But in the previous frames, the Orion completely blocks out the sun from the Daedalus as it pulls up, just before the Big D starts to go for the hyperspace window (this is where the pic I provided comes from). Still though, it is quite obvious that the Aurora class ships are much bigger than the Daedalus. And from "The Return" when Daedalus tries to intercept the Tria, even the blur that is the Tria is far bigger than the Daedalus. Now, I'm not saying an Aurora class ship is as big as a hive ship, just a lot bigger than a Daedalus class.

A hint, and only that is, during "Inferno", it is said that the Daedalus would need to make several trips to evacuate all of the people from the planet. It had only done one trip when the volcano blew. But the Orion had the rest of the people on board. Not proof I know, but hints that it is a big ship.

Comment

The Orion did not have the rest of the people on board. It was only several towns near the volcano that were evacuated. The rest were suffocated and could not breathe. A significant portion of the people that lived on that planet died that day due to asphyxiation.

Comment

I got this from the 1st link a user posted, look at vfxsoup title

I did not get a chance to go through all the post.
                        ok, now we have 2 VFX people stating different sizes. How confusing. But, we do have to consider what is said on screen, and the measurements people have made concure with what is both said on screen and what Bruce Woloshyn has said.

But even at a total of 3,000 meters (3km), that would make the piers no more than 70-75% the total distance. Take the 3,000 meter size, subtract the approximate size of the center section (20%-25%) and you get 2,250 meters for both piers together. Divide that by 2 and you get the length for each pier, or 1,125 m. Rough estimate, but close enough for our purposes. Now remember that the Daedalus is 450 meters. That would mean that the Daedalus would cover about 40% of the longest pier. Even if you downsize the Daedalus to 350 meters, that would mean it would STILL cover 31.1% of the pier.

Do you see ANY spot that is roughly a third the size of the pier and is clear of obstacles and hazards? Now, the spot would also need to be at the least slightly larger than the Daedalus itself. Still, even taking a larger size for Atlantis does not allow enough space for the Daedalus to land directly on the pier. It just doesn't work, there isn't enough room.

Comment

Ok let see.

Sure do, the SFX peeps messed up when they showed that the Deady landed in the water.

Like I said, it's a contradiction. Also, neither the Gateworld nor the other site's transcripts are canon, since they were written by a fan just like any of us.

Any many others in this thread...

Probably, except that they've already shown us (not just told us) that in Siege Part 3 and The Hive that the ship does indeed land in the water.

It's called Parody, you do it when the thing you're parodying is incredibly lame and uncalled for. I suggest you get used to it.

Watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report for more instances of "Parody".

Actually, if you are reffering to what I think you are, that "brass thingy" is on the two connected piers, and as in the photo, those are already accounted for. And there are two with a origin type "projection". One is really skinny, the other is fatter and more rounded. Yeah, a better pic would help. But as this is from the show, it's not gonna be that good. They don't show the Daedalus when it's landed, or in the process of landing. And if you pay attention, you'll notice that they reuse shots like crazy. The two times they have shown the Daedalus landing, it was the same exact shot used for both, from the Siege Pt3.
                          Hmm...yeah, I kinda see it. Still, that pic is pretty blurry to see much of anything.

But on the other hand. Would you agree about the size points I made? And what do you think about those?
                          I agree completely. Especially on the huge pic on the other page, where you can visibly see the lack of any big patch of unused space on the piers.

Any way, a lot of the points here can be argued either way, but I have yet to see anyone come up with a good argument against the light posts; we know they line the edges of the pier, and we KNOW that the Deady lands on THE OTHER SIDE of them, which would mean in the water.

This little bit alone is enough to prove a water landing; can anyone refute it?

Comment

After seeing the evidence, and I suspected it myself that Daedalus does indeed land in the water, that it DOES land in the water.

Comment

I think those who think that the Deadalus lands on the pier itself forgot about the problem with having enough space to land the Deadalus directly on the piers. I would agree though that it would be better for them if they could land on the piers. Landing on the water is ok if your ship is fine and everything is all just peachy. But I wonder what they do when they need to make repairs to the outside portion of the bottom of the ship.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Okay, now the big question is why doesn't the Daedalus accumulate barnacles?

Comment

Working...
                                X