No announcement yet.

Daedalus landing on Atlantis (question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who says it cant semi-hover above the water?

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Did you forget that the Prometheus has a different shape than the Deady?

And I did watch SG1 thank you very much, and I know it can LAND on land, but usually they'll use the rings or something to actually GET OFF of the ship, which is what we were talking about (unless, as I mentioned, they had a staircase or crosswalk, like in "Prometheus").

I could be missing something though; I'll admit that I haven't watched season 6 for a while now.

The bottom of the Deady is more or less on the same level, unlike the Prommie, which had the front being lower than the back (and I don't think we ever saw the whole ship while it was on the ground, just the top bits), so the Deady can land on land and water. Besides, you CAN SEE THE OCEAN WAVES MOVING when the ship lands.
      That's not the point I was trying to say! why would one human ship(Prometheus ) not be able to land on water, but another human ship(Daedalus) can. Think about it

Anyways I did some searching on the net I found a transcript of 201 THE SIEGE part 3.
      I highlighted the part I wanted you to see. Someone has NOT been listening to the charaters on the show!!!!!

TECHNICIAN (over comms): Doctor Weir – the Daedalus is requesting permission to land on the east pier.
      WEIR: Permission granted. We’ll meet them there.
      (She and Teyla leave. As Carson turns back towards Aiden, he closes his eyes again.)

EAST PIER. Daedalus lands. Shortly after, Caldwell, John and some of the Daedalus crew walk into the city, to be met by Elizabeth.

http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenois...01seigept3.htm

and if you don't like the source I got that information from, it is also stated on gateworld as well.

The Daedalus lands on Atlantis's east pier to undergo repairs under the protection of the city's shields,
      http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/201.shtml

KABOOM !!!!!

One more thing if your going to say something back it up. I need Proof!!!
      Last edited by Nightgod; 09 November 2006, 06:56 AM.

Comment

if you watcht the first landing of the deadalus on atlantis you can see there seems to be a structure that is moving towards the deadalus so i gues that that is the loading arm for atlantian ships wath normaly should also alow people to get on or off

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgod View Post
          That's not the point I was trying to say! why would one human ship(Prometheus ) not be able to land on water, but another human ship(Daedalus) can. Think about it

Anyways I did some searching on the net I found a transcript of 201 THE SIEGE part 3.
          I highlighted the part I wanted you to see. Someone has NOT been listening to the charaters on the show!!!!!

TECHNICIAN (over comms): Doctor Weir – the Daedalus is requesting permission to land on the east pier.
          WEIR: Permission granted. We’ll meet them there.
          (She and Teyla leave. As Carson turns back towards Aiden, he closes his eyes again.)

EAST PIER. Daedalus lands. Shortly after, Caldwell, John and some of the Daedalus crew walk into the city, to be met by Elizabeth.

http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenois...01seigept3.htm

and if you don't like the source I got that information from, it is also stated on gateworld as well.

The Daedalus lands on Atlantis's east pier to undergo repairs under the protection of the city's shields,

KABOOM !!!!!

The Daedalus happened to have been very damaged during that point, and probably had some structural damage. In the posted screenshots, not only can you tell that Daedalus is landing in the water (as you can see by the front port being partially submerged by about a deck), but you can see the lights that run alongside the pier in front of the Daedalus, even obstructing a view of part of the hull. This means that the Daedalus was undoubtedly on the other water side of the pier. The Daedalus is also obstructing the lights of the other pier, meaning that the Daedalus is in fact landing in the water.

In fact, the last few seconds of this music video shows the Daedalus undeniably, visually, landing in the water

http://youtube.com/watch?v=di8laF7ZV_A
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

who said it doenst do both ?
            maybe it lands on the pier for repairs and lands in the water when it doesnt need to ?

and as for the pics it looks like its got its landing struts down ? and surely landing in water and beaming people back and forth is just a waste of energy when u can just walk out a door or down a ramp ?

just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
              The Daedalus happened to have been very damaged during that point, and probably had some structural damage. In the posted screenshots, not only can you tell that Daedalus is landing in the water (as you can see by the front port being partially submerged by about a deck), but you can see the lights that run alongside the pier in front of the Daedalus, even obstructing a view of part of the hull. This means that the Daedalus was undoubtedly on the other water side of the pier. The Daedalus is also obstructing the lights of the other pier, meaning that the Daedalus is in fact landing in the water.

In fact, the last few seconds of this music video shows the Daedalus undeniably, visually, landing in the water

http://youtube.com/watch?v=di8laF7ZV_A
              Lol that was taken from EPISODE NUMBER - 201

Originally posted by InoXIo View Post
              who said it doenst do both ?
              maybe it lands on the pier for repairs and lands in the water when it doesnt need to ?

and as for the pics it looks like its got its landing struts down ? and surely landing in water and beaming people back and forth is just a waste of energy when u can just walk out a door or down a ramp ?

just my thoughts
              Who said it lands on water? The show never once meation that it could, it did meation that it could land on ground(Like all earth ship).
              Please provide the link/proof from the transcript that it lands on water.

DEX: We should try to land.
              HERMIOD: The planet's surface is far too unstable to attempt any landing.
              TEYLA: So our only option is to sit here and wait?
              http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/219.shtml

Comment

and by far too unstable, they're referring to the fact that the supervolcano was about to explode, not that the terrain was too rough to land on. perhaps if you would stop being stubborn and watch the video that has been posted, you'll see what (s)he is talking about. and just because something is said in passing doesn't mean it becomes absolute canon, or else pretty much everyone on SG-1 would be dead from their numerous *oh just wait a minute and shoot them again w/ the zat* shots, along w/ various other little tidbits.

Comment

These are two images from a music video displaying Daedalus's landing in detail.

As you can see, Daedalus is clearly over water.

As you can see, Daedalus is actually sitting in water, which leads this thread into another area, How can the Daedalus float?

Probably by boyancy though. I'm just trying to think how it's shape could make it compatible.
                  I do not at all get the impression from these pictures that the Daedalus is landing on anything but the pier. I think you're looking too deep and/or overthinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrius View Post
                    I do not at all get the impression from these pictures that the Daedalus is landing on anything but the pier. I think you're looking too deep and/or overthinking it.
                    Daedalus's front bow is sitting in the water right here.

A later shot taken from the same music video, shows the Daedalus even going further into the ocean.

Here's a better shot of the front bow of the ship in the water.

http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

The Daedalus lands on the water next to the pier. In the video of the episode, you can see waves moving around. If you capture the video from TV, then increase it's brightness, contrast and the color saturation, it's plain as day that it's on the water.

As to why it would land on water versus the peir itself, I dunno. Perhaps there isn't enough room that is free of clutter and is strong enough to hold the weight. A ship that big has got to weight quite a lot. Even a current day 747 needs a landing strip that is about 15 feet thick of concrete or the concrete would crack from the weight. I know this as a fact because I saw a heavy aircraft runway being refurbished, and it was for the larger yet comparable C-5 Galaxy. I was SHOCKED to see how deep they had to pour that concrete. So maybe it's not a space issue, but a weight one instead.

Now, as to how it could float. It is airtight after all. It's a spaceship. The Daedalus is also a little bigger than a modern U.S. Super Carrier, and the carrier floats without any problems. The two advantages the Deadalus has are one, it's inertial dampeners. The other factor concerns surface tension and displacement. The bottom of the Daedalus is wide and provides a large surface area to spread the weight of the ship out over a wide area of water. This allows the surface tension of the water to support the ship. Even if you had a sphere of steel 100 feet in diameter that was hollow, if the weight of the sphere was dispersed enough, it would float.

Hope this helps.
                      Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                      Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Lol that was taken from EPISODE NUMBER - 201

Who said it lands on water? The show never once meation that it could, it did meation that it could land on ground(Like all earth ship).
                        Please provide the link/proof from the transcript that it lands on water.

DEX: We should try to land.
                        HERMIOD: The planet's surface is far too unstable to attempt any landing.
                        TEYLA: So our only option is to sit here and wait?
                        http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/219.shtml
                        Why does it only have to be transcripts? We have images RIGHT HERE showing that the Deady SINKS into whatever it is that it's landing on; last I checked, you can't sink into Concrete/Metal/Atlantis.

How about the fact that the two ships have different shapes?

Also, when's the last time the Prommie had a chance to land in water?

And SOMEONE hasn't been watching it!

Gateworld ain't canon baby. Only what we see and hear in the episode, which in this case is a contradiction, unforunately.

And If I do provide proof don't forget to actually look at it!

KABOOM!!!

Comment

Daedalus's front bow is sitting in the water right here.

A later shot taken from the same music video, shows the Daedalus even going further into the ocean.

Here's a better shot of the front bow of the ship in the water.

I believe it now, but I don't like it. I like the idea of it actually landing on the pier much better.

Comment

Well, that's your perogative, but with all the bits and bumps on those piers, it's probably safer to land somewhere where you're not gonna squash a few precious Lantian structures.

Comment

Someone has NOT been watching SG-1. The Prometheus was able to land on land, one would image that the Daedalus can do the same as well.

As for the question of landing on water. No I don't think the Daedalus can land on water. What you are seeing in the above picture is the landing Thruster of the daedalus coming down for a landing. Same way how a harrier jet come down for a landing. Have you ever seen the movie true lies.

The Prometheus never ever landed on water, where would you get a crazy idea that the Daedalus can?

Watch Sg1 link provided below with the Prometheus if you don't know that ship.
                              http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/611.shtml
                              http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s7/713.shtml
                              http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/812.shtml
                              Actually, PG-15 nearly hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the light posts. You can clearly see that there is another pier in the background when the Daedalus lands. But where the lamp posts are important is, they mark the endges of the piers. Clearly, the Daedalus is outside of these light posts. Also, people tend to over estimate the size of Atlantis and under estimate the size of the Daedalus. I believe that Atlantis is only 1.5 kilometers across or about 9/10ths of a mile, and the Daedalus is about 450 meters. So, Daedalus is close to one third the size of Atlantis. Or, if the 1.5kilometers was just for the piers, then the Daedalus would be one third the size of the piers. And that would still be too big for the Daedalus to land on the piers. There is not enough space. There is no area that covers 1/3 of the pier that is open and clear to land something that big. So, if there is no space large enough to hold the Daedalus, then the logical conclusion would be that the Daedalus lands on the water.

I've included a pic taken from Misbegotten that shows something on the water next to the pier. You can't really tell what it is, but it does appear to be on the water and not connected to the pier itself.
                              Last edited by Freekzilla; 14 February 2007, 04:16 PM.
                              Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                              Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

I've included a pic taken from Misbegotten that shows something on the water next to the pier. You can't really tell what it is, but it does appear to be on the water and not connected to the pier itself.[/QUOTE]

As much as I hate to argue against my own side, I believe that thing is actually the "engine/ion cannon/brass tube thing" that you can see in the huge photo on the previous page (it's spoilered; look opposite the "front gates" of Atlantis, ie. the pier with all of the vertical fins on it and the Origin-symbol like projection at the very front).

Sorry I can't make the description clearer, but since this photo is obviously a stock shot, it's unlikely they'll have the Deady in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X