Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Ancients have any energy based weapons on atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spg_1983
    for all we know he could have been talking about systems such as the cities defense system for responding to outbreaks of disease. yes it makes sense that atlantis has additional defense systems, but that doesnt automatically mean energy weapon, or even weapon period. the shield is a defense system and not a weapon. so we really have no idea what he could have been talking about.
    He said defensive WEAPONS systems.
    sigpic

Comment

He also said a number of defences Beyond the shield, which would indicate he was on about the orbital defense satellites. His use of words says a lot. He did not say "as well as the shield", or any suggestion that there was a weapon with the shield, but instead, said beyond the shield, suggesting past the confines of the city.

Comment

be·yond Audio pronunciation of "beyond" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-nd, b-ynd)
        prep.

1. On the far side of; past: Just beyond the fence.
        2. Later than; after: beyond midnight.
        3. To a degree that is past the understanding, reach, or scope of: an evil beyond remedy.
        4. To a degree or amount greater than: rich beyond his wildest dreams.
        5. In addition to: asked for nothing beyond peace and quiet.

sigpic

Comment

Yes Mio is right, "beyond," in this concept, does not mean, physically and literally beyond, it means, as well as, or, in addition to.

Owen Macri

Comment

the drones also i believe have some limited AI they can I believe select there one target and ID friendlies, also I do believe that Atlantis has at least a couple other weapons systems and it wouldn't surprise me if they had a energy weapon or 2, relying on the shield would not be very energy efficient, intercepting things before they hit the shield would make a lot more sense, they would I would think have Point defense weapons probably energy based, they are probably just "put away"

Comment

How can you be so sure? There is no indication that the word "beyond" is used in such a context. There are numerous synonyms which would have fitted better than "beyond" when mckay said that line.

Comment

Ok, this is the quote:

Originally posted by Mckay and Zelenka, The Gift
                McKAY: Well, since we've got here, we've uncovered a number of defensive weapons systems beyond the shield. Wh...

ZELENKA (interrupting): We think our best option is the control chair.
                First of all, if he was using beyond in the physical sense, he was wrong, the only defensive weapons they had discovered past the shield was the satelite, which didn't even work at that time. Then Zelenka goes on to say they think their best option is the control chair, the chair, is inside the shield, so, even though they found all of thos defensive weapons past the shield, they are going to use one inside the shield. We have only seen one weapon physicially past the shield which is the satelite, yet no one even asks what the other weapons were. And fianaly, in that context, the word "beyond" is not used to physically signify beyond. Now to say, we have discovered food rations beyond the walls of the city, you would know that in that context, they mean, physically, past the walls, unless the walls are made of cheese, if the walls were made of cheses, the context, of conceptually beyond (as well as) overrules the context of physically beyond. Seeing as the shield is a defensive weapon, the context of physically beyond is overruled and the context of conceptually beyond, meaning as well as, takes presidence.

Owen Macri

Comment

well as mentioned from the quote, atlantis as numerous defence systems, however it may be plausable that the energy based weapons are offline simply to the extreme power requirements. That WCP required a MrkII NaqGen and if in the opinion that it was the best shot then it logical to assume that En Weaps need more power, so if later in the series the writers decide to plug in more ZPM maybe we'll see some more.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
                    the drones also i believe have some limited AI they can I believe select there one target and ID friendlies, also I do believe that Atlantis has at least a couple other weapons systems and it wouldn't surprise me if they had a energy weapon or 2, relying on the shield would not be very energy efficient, intercepting things before they hit the shield would make a lot more sense, they would I would think have Point defense weapons probably energy based, they are probably just "put away"
                    I agree the ancients may have been overconfident but relying on the sheild and the drones for the cities defence, even if they were not their orginally u would have thought when the wraith began to take down the satilites the ancients would have tried to improve their last cities defences.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                    O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

That is a likley explination, that there could be a a safeguard in place, or they just have to activate them, they don't come on automatically, or, they need sufficient power before they are even acccesable.

Owen Macri

Comment

The shield is considered a primary system. We learned that in "The Eye". Since we know that the Ancients had multiple weapon systems in Atlantis, it wouldn't make sense to make them all primary systems. If the power got too low, powering them all could be bad. So Its possible that unless the city has full power, we won't get to see any other weapons system.
                        sigpic

Comment

It is a possibility and logical as well, but there would also likley be a way to manual override and transfer power. If they are put in a life and death situation again, they might use a course of action such as this.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            It is a possibility and logical as well, but there would also likley be a way to manual override and transfer power. If they are put in a life and death situation again, they might use a course of action such as this.

Owen Macri
                            Most likely. Still. I hope we eventually find out for sure what Rodney was really talking about....
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
                              the drones also i believe have some limited AI they can I believe select there one target and ID friendlies,
                              I don't know if anyone answered this yet.
                              I really don't think the drones have AI. Why?
                              We know that Ancients were advanced beyond God knows what, Mentally, Intellectually and Technologically. Who is to say that Ancients can't "Multi-task"? Cause if you remember it takes a Ancient or someone with the Ancient Gene to operate the "Chair Platform". Now I am not going to discount the fact that the drones may have AI, but with a Ancient running it would seem like it would be a waste. We as Daniel Jackson said in "The Rising" Ancient always do things big.

Comment

You have a point but all that it would accomplish is possible human error, and use of person that is not needed. Why allow a person who can make mistakes do it, when advanced sensors, a form of propulsion, and a computer could. Maybe bettter.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X