Clear All

Originally posted by Owen Macri
    Lol how about I repost?

How about that???

lol.

Owen Macri
    aaaaa yes much better thank you

Comment

Very sincere apologies if i offended anyone. I was merely trying to think of a way to describe an Ancient that other (less enlightened and socially snooty) Ancients may look down upon and that was the first word to jump to my mind, purely in jest without hostility towards anyone.

And i would rather be shot with a zat. It's not considered at all cowardly to faint from a zat blast Plus, they make a cool noise

Comment

All the above get back on topic!!!!

You cant dial the gate whilst in space, it was discovered in the Stargate Season 1 finale, that the gate needed to be in orbit of the plannet for it to work to establish the Po0, therefore, the gate wouldnt be able to dial when Atlantis is in space!

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C

You cant dial the gate whilst in space, it was discovered in the Stargate Season 1 finale, that the gate needed to be in orbit of the plannet for it to work to establish the Po0, therefore, the gate wouldnt be able to dial when Atlantis is in space!
          it must be in orbit to use that planets address, that planets address is just a point in space, thats when there wrist device thing would come in handy to give Atlantis' curent address when atlantis is in space

Comment

We don't know exactly how the stargate identifies volumes of space when the gate is dialed but gates can be dialed in space, this is shown in Stargate Atlantis, a lot of the gates in the Pegasus galaxy are in high orbit around planets.

Owen Macri

Comment

Presumably, the location system used by the Ancients should work for any point in space, not just those in gravity wells of planets, etc. There just hasn't been a situation yet seen where a Stargate was positioned in deep space (though it could be cool if an upcoming episode featured a space station with Gate that was just in the middle of nowhere, perhaps a refuge for the Tollan ?).

Comment

That is a good idea, seeing as they already have stated that when a stargate is moved to another planet it will work there, why not? It would be a cool idea even though it probably wouldn't work in real life.

It is immensly unlikley that you would be able to dial Atlantis when it resided at any random point in deepspace. With only thirty eight points per galaxy to connect and meet at a single point there is an incredibly unlikley chance that Atlantis would accidently reside at a location that is useable. It is also highly unlikley that you could move a gate to a planet and have it work there too, but whatever, it is more fun when we think that it will work!

Owe Macri

Comment

It would be a cool idea even though it probably wouldn't work in real life.

It is immensly unlikley that you would be able to dial Atlantis when it resided at any random point in deepspace. With only thirty eight points per galaxy to connect and meet at a single point there is an incredibly unlikley chance that Atlantis would accidently reside at a location that is useable. It is also highly unlikley that you could move a gate to a planet and have it work there too, but whatever, it is more fun when we think that it will work!

Owe Macri
                  what are you talking about it would work fine

Comment

If you have 38 points located around the galaxy, these points would not be able to connect to accomidate every possible point within that galaxy.

Think of a cube, you have two points on each side, those points can connect diffrent ways, 6 at a time, to form three lines, which will intersect at a point. You have 12 points (38, on the galactic scale) however they will not be able to form lines which will intersect at every point within the cube, try it if you want.

Owen Macri

Comment

If you have 38 points located around the galaxy, these points would not be able to connect to accomidate every possible point within that galaxy.

Think of a cube, you have two points on each side, those points can connect diffrent ways, 6 at a time, to form three lines, which will intersect at a point. You have 12 points (38, on the galactic scale) however they will not be able to form lines which will intersect at every point within the cube, try it if you want.

Owen Macri
                      oooooooo ok i get it

Comment

Yes, it is a wierd concept, and sort of crushes, the whole "gate being moved to other planet" idea, as well as the fact that it would take a lot of math to calculate the necesary positions of the points to accomadate every gate. Every coorelative update the 38 points are moved, either a little or a lot, to include every gate. When you move a gate to a new planet all of the 38 points must be moved as well, because otherwise the one gate wouldn't work, and if you just moved on point, then a handful of other gates wouldn't work. I don't think about it because it just kills the fun.

Owen Macri

Comment

Actually, the 'points' your referring to would never move. The stars would move, thus needing to use a different point in reference to it, but the point itself wouldn't move at all. I see your using my cube idea somewhat... I agree that you wouldn't be able to touch every point within the cube using the 3 axis, but keep in mind that a galaxy is disc shaped, and will be found at the center of the cube, and not the near edges of the cube itself. A gate can be activated anywhere within a star system as long as it isn't buried. You could be as close to the sun as Mercury (or closer), or you could be in orbit of Pluto... it wouldn't matter. The gate address, is specific to the STAR, not the planet or the stargate itself. It doesn't matter where the stargate is... it could even be underwater ("Watergate"), and still activate. All that matters, is that it isn't buried (being blocked so that an event horizon can't form), and is somewhere within the star system. So yes... you can dial when a stargate is in space... no problem at all. It doesn't have to be in a specific orbit around the sun or anything like that... just be in the same solar system as the gate address being dialed. In other words, Atlantis could take off and fly to the far edge of the star system, and you could still dial into the Atlantis gate, no problem. If, however, Atlantis left the star system and went to the next one over, it wouldn't work anymore. The gate address would be invalid.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C

puh-lease..! The 'point of origin' belongs to the stargate itself... not any planet. That is why they can move a stargate to another planet, or a ship for that matter, and it still works. They don't need to be in orbit of any planet. In the episode where they destroyed Apophis fleet by blowing up the sun... they werent in orbit of any planet (in fact they were far away from the planet they got the gate from. They were in fact very close to the sun... crispy close..! ), and they still activated the gate and used it to blow up the star.
                            The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                              Actually, the 'points' your referring to would never move. The stars would move, thus needing to use a different point in reference to it, but the point itself wouldn't move at all. I see your using my cube idea somewhat... I agree that you wouldn't be able to touch every point within the cube using the 3 axis, but keep in mind that a galaxy is disc shaped, and will be found at the center of the cube, and not the near edges of the cube itself. A gate can be activated anywhere within a star system as long as it isn't buried. You could be as close to the sun as Mercury (or closer), or you could be in orbit of Pluto... it wouldn't matter. The gate address, is specific to the STAR, not the planet or the stargate itself. It doesn't matter where the stargate is... it could even be underwater ("Watergate"), and still activate. All that matters, is that it isn't buried (being blocked so that an event horizon can't form), and is somewhere within the star system. So yes... you can dial when a stargate is in space... no problem at all. It doesn't have to be in a specific orbit around the sun or anything like that... just be in the same solar system as the gate address being dialed. In other words, Atlantis could take off and fly to the far edge of the star system, and you could still dial into the Atlantis gate, no problem. If, however, Atlantis left the star system and went to the next one over, it wouldn't work anymore. The gate address would be invalid.
                              Very true but, if atlantis left the star system they could still use the stargate, they would just need to figure out its new address, since the old one wouldn't work anymore out side the star system

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                                Let's not get back into this discussion again, lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X