Atlantis Extinction revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    If this was the Extinction plot it wouldn't bother me. I kinda like it....I don't mind plot devices. But a explanation as to WHY Atlantis isn't supposed to leave Pegasus would be nice.
    And fewer ways out that the canon already made possible.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
      I wouldn't mind this story if it's only a small part of the overall film.
      The Self-Destruct causes them to go back to the Pegasus galaxy and the Atlantis team then has to deal with a grander problem, now that I wouldn't mind, if it's just the Self Destruct thing then that's a pretty poor plot IMO.

With regards to the power problem, no one knows how much power the wormhole drive actually used.
      All we had about how much energy it used was an ambiguous statement of lots of power.
      Maybe all that means is it's not feasable to use the wormhole drive for regular daily use like you can with Hyperdrive.
      For some reason many gateworld members act like they know it's used up almost all of 3 ZPMs worth of power, when we don't know that.
      All we know is the drive used a lot of power, which could mean anything from 1% of one ZPM (still alot compared to what Earth can generate without a single ZPM) to any other amount of the total ZPMs the city has.
      If everyone recalls Humans from Earth couldn't even raise the city's shields without a ZPM when they first found the city, so any amount of power from a single ZPM that goes beyond what Earth's capable of generating would be considered a lot of power.
      If ZPMs weren't a throw away piece of power generating tech for the Ancients then perhaps the use of Wormhole drives just weren't a feasable constant propulsion device for the Ancients
      No we don't know the exact state of the 3 ZPM's once Atlantis safely landed in the ocean, but we do have enough to speculate. Carson did say he didn't have enough power to keep firing drones and adjust the cities position to keep it from skimming Earth's atmosphere. Now that could mean the city was either running low on power or the power needed could only be diverted to one or the other, the control chair or stardrive. There's also the fact that Atlantis's shields were apparently nearly depleted when it entered the atmosphere. The only time Atlantis has ever had issue's with its shield is when power levels were below a certain point.

I believe it was mentioned on the show that with enough power, Atlantis's shield could remain active almost indefinitely even under constant bombardment. It would seem that Atlantis's shield strength go hand in hand with the power state of the ZPM's.

But like i said, we can only speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by boyd22 View Post
        No we don't know the exact state of the 3 ZPM's once Atlantis safely landed in the ocean, but we do have enough to speculate. Carson did say he didn't have enough power to keep firing drones and adjust the cities position to keep it from skimming Earth's atmosphere. Now that could mean the city was either running low on power or the power needed could only be diverted to one or the other, the control chair or stardrive. There's also the fact that Atlantis's shields were apparently nearly depleted when it entered the atmosphere. The only time Atlantis has ever had issue's with its shield is when power levels were below a certain point.

I believe it was mentioned on the show that with enough power, Atlantis's shield could remain active almost indefinitely even under constant bombardment. It would seem that Atlantis's shield strength go hand in hand with the power state of the ZPM's.

But like i said, we can only speculate.
        Seems reasonable.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          If this was the Extinction plot it wouldn't bother me. I kinda like it....I don't mind plot devices. But a explanation as to WHY Atlantis isn't supposed to leave Pegasus would be nice.
          I would suspect that would have been revealed in the movie as that's a big part of the plot. Hopefully if Joe released more information about the script, he'll let us know!
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            I would suspect that would have been revealed in the movie as that's a big part of the plot. Hopefully if Joe released more information about the script, he'll let us know!
            Hopefully so!

Comment

Makes me wonder why the film was cancelled..
              Deadline not met? Cash issues?

Comment

It was likely a combination of MGM not having faith in the script and a lack of funding. MGM recently filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The studio's back in business, but I don't think MGM is willing to take any risks right now. The studio claims the direct-to-video market isn't profitable right now, but that's nonsense. I see almost as many direct-to-video and TV movie releases as theatrical releases. I think it all boils down to the script calling for an expensive production and MGM unwilling to take the gamble. I think it's as simple as that.

Oh, and I almost forgot... the movie was in development limbo. When SGU was cancelled, it was immediately shelved. Also, take note that during the second season of SGU, MGM was auctioning off everything from props, costumes, to set pieces. Even the Atlantis stargate set piece itself was cut up into sections to be auctioned off. It's all gone. Even if SGU's cancellation hadn't swayed MGM away from the movie, an Atlantis film would require a lot of sets, costumes, and props to be remade from scratch. At this point, MGM probably thinks it isn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-12031981 View Post
                  Atlantis landing on the moon simply isn't possible (the bottom of the city-ship and the surface of the moon would not get warm and fuzzy if they met) since the model of the ship wasn't designed for landing on solid surfaces and the gravitational problems alone are a big stretch.
                  It was on the bottom of the ocean (a solid surface) on the planet where the expedition found Atlantis for 10,000 years. I'm pretty sure it could rest/sit/whatever on the surface of the moon easily enough.

Comment

Keeping water pressure out at the bottom of the ocean would be a lot greater than keeping atmospheric pressure in. So, assuming there's three fully charged ZPM's and Atlantis is just resting on the moon without threat of attack all the time... it'd be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      It was on the bottom of the ocean (a solid surface) on the planet where the expedition found Atlantis for 10,000 years. I'm pretty sure it could rest/sit/whatever on the surface of the moon easily enough.
                      I really think it depends on who's driving. But I agree since I had the EXACT same thought. It may take more power to fire the drives to slow down even more or fire thrusters/sublights/etc but I think that the city could land on the moon if they had someone who could be able to do it properly. Hope this makes sense... I'm only operating on a little over 3 hours of sleep at the moment!! haha

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        Sinking is also a lot slower than landing. Wasn't Atlantis sinking really slowly when the Ascended Replicators took control of it in Season 5? Compare that to splashing down either time we've seen Atlantis land.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          Makes me wonder why the film was cancelled..
                          Deadline not met? Cash issues?
                          spite?

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                            I wouldn't mind this story if it's only a small part of the overall film.
                            The Self-Destruct causes them to go back to the Pegasus galaxy and the Atlantis team then has to deal with a grander problem, now that I wouldn't mind, if it's just the Self Destruct thing then that's a pretty poor plot IMO.

With regards to the power problem, no one knows how much power the wormhole drive actually used.
                            All we had about how much energy it used was an ambiguous statement of lots of power.
                            Maybe all that means is it's not feasable to use the wormhole drive for regular daily use like you can with Hyperdrive.
                            For some reason many gateworld members act like they know it's used up almost all of 3 ZPMs worth of power, when we don't know that.
                            All we know is the drive used a lot of power, which could mean anything from 1% of one ZPM (still alot compared to what Earth can generate without a single ZPM) to any other amount of the total ZPMs the city has.
                            If everyone recalls Humans from Earth couldn't even raise the city's shields without a ZPM when they first found the city, so any amount of power from a single ZPM that goes beyond what Earth's capable of generating would be considered a lot of power.
                            If ZPMs weren't a throw away piece of power generating tech for the Ancients then perhaps the use of Wormhole drives just weren't a feasable constant propulsion device for the Ancients.
                            We only had like 6 MKI's, quite possibly less than 15 MWe. With something decent sized (maybe Deddy's 10 GWe plant) we could have got the sheilds up in a weakened state and maybe got the lights on. Atlantis has enough acreage to build a significant sized powerplant (maybe 100 times a Aurora plant - 1000GWe) and lazy writing had them dependent upon zpms.

Comment

As big as the city is, I always had hoped that the expedition would discovery a factory for building ZPM's or stargates. What would prevent them from doing so would be the understanding and materials necessary for such a task.

Comment

I wouldn't. Especially the ZPM side. If we had the capacity to make more, we would effectively become unstoppable.

Comment

Working...
                                X