No announcement yet.

Atlantis Extinction revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you generate oxygen when you can simply have vegetation for oxygen and food? I always found it laughable when science-fiction depicted magical oxygen-generating technology. Grow a garden! If sunlight is an issue... the moon does get lit on all sides, but the moon's night-day cycle is significantly slowly than our Earth. Set up artificial sunlight for the moon's night cycle, problem solved. Who would water them? Uh... hire a garden staff? They maintain the garden, pick the veggies, then the chefs prepare them for meals. As for space... uh... look how big the city is, then think about how much of it is likely unoccupied. Surely they could dedicate one of the smaller buildings or an outdoor facility to gardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Why would you generate oxygen when you can simply have vegetation for oxygen and food? I always found it laughable when science-fiction depicted magical oxygen-generating technology. Grow a garden! If sunlight is an issue... the moon does get lit on all sides, but the moon's night-day cycle is significantly slowly than our Earth. Set up artificial sunlight for the moon's night cycle, problem solved. Who would water them? Uh... hire a garden staff? They maintain the garden, pick the veggies, then the chefs prepare them for meals. As for space... uh... look how big the city is, then think about how much of it is likely unoccupied. Surely they could dedicate one of the smaller buildings or an outdoor facility to gardens.
      Because it's proven to be inefficient. Setting up artificial sunlight lamps would take a lot of energy and by then you might as well just turn the O2 machine on, or at least the CO2 filter.

Hiring a garden staff means more people which means more oxygen is needed, meaning more plants, meaning more watering, meaning more staff...

All the unoccupied space is not near windows. No sunlight and a lot of energy would be needed for lamps.

The lamps/sunlight would need to be regulated. While plants grow int he sunlight, they respire during the night. Not enough of either would be detrimental to the plants and many plants that grow edible food wouldn't like the cycle of sunlight on the moon.

This is also ignoring the heat that would likely go into keeping the plants happy. Can you imagine trying to work in a greenhouse? Even a hydroponics room?
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
        As regards to the underwater thing, the air hasn't been used up in over 10 thousand years, only a little stale but nevertheless. Only Elizabeth was there and she was in stasis. And the city was adrift only for a short while.
        But if they were originally planning Atlantis as a permanent base on the moon they must have thought it up. Maybe plants??
        yeah the city wasn't adrift that long, but the shields did start failing and eventually only the main tower had a shield, so they lost a TON of air. And there is a machine which even we mere humans have called AIR SCRUBBERS.

Comment

I still say a self contained ecosphere is more practical than magical technology.

Comment

I still say a self contained ecosphere is more practical than magical technology.
            We've made ecospheres before. One didn't work without machine help, and another only accommodated up to four people. Besides, how come you can accept all the other magical technology, when an oxygen machine wold just need to be something that can efficiently perform an artificial krebs cycle?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I don't like the concept of technology replacing nature.

Comment

I don't like the concept of technology replacing nature.
                We've been doing that since the lightbulb.

Comment

About the space issue when growing plants, you've got all the space between the piers? The moon has no water so those piers just have gaps and a grow down to the surface of the moon between them? Get a load of soil from earth and various other planets if you really want to, get loads of plants, a nice irrigation system set up between the piers and voila you've got yourself one huge arse garden? Keep the temperature within the shield around the 25degree mark? the plants will be quite happy there, not optimum temperature for them but it's good enough. Inside the towers keep the temperature a bit lower? Then you get a nice warm breeze when stepping onto a balcony. For lighting I think the light from the city will be alright to keep them going a little bit, but it'd be a huge limiting factor there. Add in some floodlights, those lights in the pillars in the city! The light up crystals that are always on and don't seem to use any power! Put loads of them around!
                  There you go, utilising space and making lots of food so the city will be more self-sufficient! And if they produce too much food sell some back on Earth? Then the city is making a bit of money for itself!

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgified View Post
                    About the space issue when growing plants, you've got all the space between the piers? The moon has no water so those piers just have gaps and a grow down to the surface of the moon between them? Get a load of soil from earth and various other planets if you really want to, get loads of plants, a nice irrigation system set up between the piers and voila you've got yourself one huge arse garden? Keep the temperature within the shield around the 25degree mark? the plants will be quite happy there, not optimum temperature for them but it's good enough. Inside the towers keep the temperature a bit lower? Then you get a nice warm breeze when stepping onto a balcony. For lighting I think the light from the city will be alright to keep them going a little bit, but it'd be a huge limiting factor there. Add in some floodlights, those lights in the pillars in the city! The light up crystals that are always on and don't seem to use any power! Put loads of them around!
                    There you go, utilising space and making lots of food so the city will be more self-sufficient! And if they produce too much food sell some back on Earth? Then the city is making a bit of money for itself!
                    I think that side of the moon sees the sun.

Comment

It does, but the moon's night-day cycle is significantly slower than the Earth. When it's dark on the far side of the moon, it will be dark for a long time.

Comment

Atlantis landing on the moon simply isn't possible (the bottom of the city-ship and the surface of the moon would not get warm and fuzzy if they met) since the model of the ship wasn't designed for landing on solid surfaces and the gravitational problems alone are a big stretch, but I could buy the idea of them floating out in space away from Earth because that is very much possible given the established capabilities of the city-ship which is a spaceship built like a city. The self-destruct bit isn't really going to hold any water either given the history of Atlantis. They intended for their descendants to come back and reclaim the city and to carry on the legacy of the Ancients, so they would not put a stop to them doing whatever they might need to do with a LoJack bomb. I could see a self-destruct mechanism being put into place that is triggered by the presence of Wraith in the city for longer than a month or two (TODD!) but definitely not what was put into that blog entry.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-12031981 View Post
                          I could see a self-destruct mechanism being put into place that is triggered by the presence of Wraith in the city for longer than a month or two (TODD!) but definitely not what was put into that blog entry.
                          He was already in the lab for a month or so. Not to mention, if he's been in Atlantis for a month, that's either two problems, not one, or solved by just shooting him.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-12031981 View Post
                            Atlantis landing on the moon simply isn't possible (the bottom of the city-ship and the surface of the moon would not get warm and fuzzy if they met) since the model of the ship wasn't designed for landing on solid surfaces
                            The city originally rested on land in Antarctica where the ancient outpost was found. A near identical city was found on land in "The Tower." In Season 4's "Lifeline," Sheppard and McKay talked about landing the city on water. McKay didn't want to risk structural damage if they didn't touch down on land just right. Given how hard the city landed in the episode, good call.

and the gravitational problems alone are a big stretch, but I could buy the idea of them floating out in space away from Earth because that is very much possible given the established capabilities of the city-ship which is a spaceship built like a city.
                            Why is gravity a problem? The moon has less gravity than Earth, so they'd have to use artificial gravity whether they were on the moon or in space.

Comment

They must be pulling ZPM's out of thin air. Because the 3 they had in EATG can't have much power left in them after using the hyperdrive and than the wormhole drive (which supposedly required a massive amount of power) coupled with the battle with the superhive. I'm surprised they even had enough power to launch the city back into space, let alone keep the shield active 24/7 and expand life support beyond the city into the void between the city and sheild.

Just by reading that little bit, it sounds like they planned on out doing EATG on the stupidity scale.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                                He was already in the lab for a month or so. Not to mention, if he's been in Atlantis for a month, that's either two problems, not one, or solved by just shooting him.
                                Something i'm sure Sheppard would quickly volunteer for.

Comment

Working...
                                X