X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOVEMBER 15th - THE SEER

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

excerpt:

Alan told me the story started out as a test of Carter’s leadership. The intention was to put her in the cross hairs, sort of a “trial by fire” situation, to see how she handles her new role as the leader of Atlantis. And the intention was to do that in a stand-alone episode involving a specific and isolated incident. Sorry to be vague here but you know the powers that be could have my job at any conceivable moment! In any case, the episode became much more about what is happening in the Pegasus Galaxy on a bigger scale – in other words, they worked the story arc of the season into the plot, interweaving it with the bigger story. I think it’s a testament to the writers that they can see the bigger picture and adapt episodes in this way.

Alan told me he really likes writing for Colonel Carter, Amanda Tapping’s character. Alan came over to Atlantis this year from SG-1, where he was on staff for several years. While on SG-1, Alan wrote some terrific “Carter” episodes, such as “Line in the Sand”, and “The Road Not Taken”. He said the challenge in “The Seer” was to give Carter a real dilemma, one in which she questions herself, but not to make her look weak-willed. After all she is the leader of Atlantis! Alan said Any Mikita did a terrific job directing. And Robert Picardo comes back in this one, reprising his role as Woolsey from the IOA.

MORE AT LINK ABOVE, including neat stuff on DVD extras

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Nov. 16 '07:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for November 16, 2007:

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archives/2007/11/special_feature.html

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)

November 16, 2007

Special Features and Story Arcs

**snippage**

This week on Atlantis you’ll see “The Seer”. I pulled Alan out of the writer’s room and spoke to him about the episode just now. The thing he remembered most about the episode is how much it changed from inception to final execution.

Alan told me the story started out as a test of Carter’s leadership. The intention was to put her in the cross hairs, sort of a “trial by fire” situation, to see how she handles her new role as the leader of Atlantis. And the intention was to do that in a stand-alone episode involving a specific and isolated incident. Sorry to be vague here but you know the powers that be could have my job at any conceivable moment! In any case, the episode became much more about what is happening in the Pegasus Galaxy on a bigger scale – in other words, they worked the story arc of the season into the plot, interweaving it with the bigger story. I think it’s a testament to the writers that they can see the bigger picture and adapt episodes in this way.

**snippage&&

Enjoy!

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at November 16, 2007 08:43 PM

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

NOV 30

excerpt:

Alan reminded me of a hilarious scene that sparked a great deal of debate. Martin Gero wrote the terrific script in which Sheppard and co. return to Earth to track down the McKays. In one scene, Ronon and Sheppard are watching tv in a hotel room, more specifically Battlestar Galactica, and Ronon turns to Sheppard and says something like "we should help these people!" Well, most everybody laughed about it at the script stage. Even Rob Cooper. But Cooper had misgivings. I recall him saying that it makes Ronon look stupid. Like the guy doesn't even understand what a television set is and that the stories on tv are fictional. But damn it was funny. It turns out the scene is still in the final cut (according to our trusty Post Supervisor Kerry McDowall) but that portion of it has been cut and you no longer know they're watching tv. So maybe you'll get to see that portion of the scene in one of Ivon's behind the scenes featurettes or something.

Other things to note about Miller's Crossing. The title is a riff on the great Coen brother's movie. Speaking of which, somebody out there go see No Country for Old Men and tell me what the hell happened at the end. Also, in Miller's Crossing, the character Henry Wallace is played by Stephen Culp of Desperate Housewives fame. According to David Hewlett, Culp and Kate Hewlett (David's real and on-screen sister) have great chemistry, great repartee. And I concur. It's a fast paced episode which you'll enjoy. I also love seeing David and Kate work together. You get the feeling their real life relationship is a lot like what we're seeing (whether it actually is or not!).

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Noooooo!! Change Ronon's line or something, ANYTHING!! Come on! It'll be hilarious if they were watching BSG!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Noooooo!! Change Ronon's line or something, ANYTHING!! Come on! It'll be hilarious if they were watching BSG!
            LOL!

That reminded me of a family anecdote (although, probably quite a few families have similar anecdotes), of when my great-great-maternal grandfather was taken to the see the silent film "The Great Train Robbery" (1903) -- his first film -- and at one point in the movie, jumped up in the theater and yelled for the good guy to watch out (of course, it was in Swedish as Great-Great-Grandpa Clarence VonBerg, Sr., had just recently immigrated from Sweden and was still in the process of learning English)...

I can see Ronon doing that!

(Sort of like Galaxy Quest too. The Thermians intercepting the "Galaxy Quest" tv show, and believing they were historical video transmissions! LOL!)

morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's Blog Update Dec. 7 '07:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for December 7, 2007:

STARGATE ATLANTIS BLOG

December 07, 2007

Half time

**snippage**

Joe described the act of writing a script like This Mortal Coil like playing a game of Jenga. You see, each episode's story is structured into acts. The acts are broken down into scenes, the scenes into beats, and the beats into dialogue and action. The whole script, and each scene, only works if it's in a rhythm, and the rhythm is dependent on who says what. The trick, especially in an episode like "This Mortal Coil", as you shall see, is to get the information out in the least expository way so the audience doesn't know they're being spoon-fed the information they need to understand the story. Examples of poor exposition: the end of every scooby doo, where Shaggy or Velma explains the backstory of the haunting (just before the villain says: "And I would have gotten away with it too, if not for those meddling kids.")

**snippage**

Joe mentioned that Joel Goldsmith did an excellent job on the score. And, of
              course, we get our beloved Dr. Weir back for this episode.

Enjoy!

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 07:55 PM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's Blog Update Jan 4 '08:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for January 4, 2008:

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archives/2008/01/be_all_my_sins.html

January 04, 2008

Be All My Sins Remember'd

**snippity doo-dah**

As for the story, Martin [Gero] said the script was a blast to write, because it's provides some closure to a lot of different story arcs that began this season. He said almost every story that we've done this season tees this story up. And lastly, he explained that, often in these large action episodes, it's difficult to have strong character moments because the story is so dense with action. But again, this one breaks the mold, because there are some wonderful - and important - character moments in there. Sorry, no spoilers. I want you to be surprised!

And there's also that trademark Martin Gero brand of Pythonesque humor. Look for the scene where the Colonels' greet each other, to McKay's bewilderment. Awesome stuff.

Enjoy.

Posted by Alex Levine at January 4, 2008 07:59 AM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

JANUARY 11th

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archi...t_is_on_1.html

excerpt:

January 11, 2008
                  The Heat Is On

I also want to take this opportunity to plug Ivon's behind the scenes featurettes. He had the heart to show several of them in the writers room during lunch the other day - specifically his piece on the "Bring Carson Beckett Back" campaign, as well as the first blooper reel ever to leave the building. Well, despite the chiding he got from the producers (hey, they're producers, they're PAID to be opinionated), both pieces were fully enjoyed, and partly due to the comic stylings of one Martin Q. Gero. His intro's and extro's on the blooper reel are funnier than the bloopers. And his interviews of the die-hard Beckett fans when they protested outside the Bridge Studios gate are pretty damn funny too. So definitely get your hands on those when they come out on the season box set in the summer sometime.

So tonight you'll see Spoils of War, written by Alan McCullough. I just chatted with Alan about the script. He explained that the idea for the episode was to explore the fallout from the destruction of the replicator planet, but I guess the title already told you that. It was also important to tell another story that had to do with the season arc - Teyla's pregnancy, our Wraith ally, the inter-Wraith wars. All these story lines play a part. Because of that, it was often referred to as part three of the mid-season two parter.

In addition, you're sure to learn something vital in this episode about the Wraith. As in... did you ever wonder how the Wraith procreate? Well, tune in my friends, because this episode discusses that very topic. There were lots of ideas thrown around the room, by the way. Some people thought the reproduction process should be asexual. Others thought it should have something to do with the ship, because of course the Hive ships are organic in nature. I figured they would just press their feeding hands together in what Shakespeare called a "holy palmers kiss" and suck each other's lives away. But then again, I didn't get sex ed until grade 12, so what do I know?

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Jan 18 '08:

From Alex Levine's Stargate Atlantis blog update for January 18, 2008:

STARGATE ATLANTIS BLOG

January 18, 2008

Bottle Shows and Character Moments

I just talked to Carl Binder on the phone about this week's episode, Quarantine. Lucky for me, he had just spoken to Sharon Gosling about the episode so he didn't require any prompting or irritating questions from me about the episode - he already knew what he wanted to talk about. See, normally when I pester Carl for blog-fodder, he gets this look on face that suggests he is bored, irritated and in pain. But after a couple of years, I discovered that this look is actually just the look he gets on his face when he's concentrating! I guess it hurts Carl to concentrate. Me too. But this time he was prepared.

**snippage**

That's what you're in for tomorrow night. I hope you enjoy the show. In other news, I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear that our Golden Tee golf game has been repaired. Now if I could just get some free time to play 9 holes. Until next week.

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 12:52 AM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Jan 25 '08:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for January 25, 2008:

STARGATE ATLANTIS BLOG

January 25, 2008

Now we're cookin'

**snippage**

...tonight you get one of my favourite fourth season episodes, Harmony. Martin Gero penned this one based on a concept that was originally put forth by Carl Binder. And I believe the words "Golden Child" were bandied about during that original spin session. The guest star in this episode is played by none other than Jodelle Ferland, who you might recognize from Stargate SG-1 (she played one of the younger Adria's). Her role is so important in tonight's episode that Martin told me they didn't even start writing the episode until they knew Jodelle was available and willing to play the part. That's how difficult it is finding an 11 year old who can really act. In fact, she was such a super pro she typically had all the other character's lines memorized as well!

**snippage**

So enjoy tonight's episode and have a great week.

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 05:39 PM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Jan 31 '08:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for January 31, 2008:

January 31, 2008

Draft Colors, Spec Scripts, Outcasts

**snippage**

Tomorrow on Atlantis you'll see "Outcast". This story was originally pitched by Joe Flanigan. He thought it would be cool if a replicator gets loose on Earth. And the producers agreed. Great idea. Alan McCullough fleshed out the story and wrote the teleplay. And I just spoke with Alan about the episode.

Alan explained that the writers had been wanting to do a story that exposes more of Sheppard's backstory for a while, and this proved to be the perfect vehicle. That being said, there was a lot of debate over what actually occurred in his past. There was also some general consensus, however -- he probably came from a wealthy family, and in the episode Sunday, we learned that Sheppard was previously married. So there you go - a couple of minor spoilers for you before you watch the episode.

**snippage**

Lastly, Alan want to put a shout out to Joel Goldsmith for a wonderful score in this one; a score Alan described as quite different than the typical Atlantis score.

Enjoy!

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 11:43 PM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Feb 7 '08:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel blog update for February 7, 2008:

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archi...low_build.html

(Please follow the link for the complete update.)

February 08, 2008

The Slow Build and Trio

**snippage**

In any case, Martin explained that Trio was intended to be another smaller, bottle type episode - three people in a room. Those three people, Sam Carter, Jennifer Keller, and Rodney McKay. The idea of course, was to save money. But the story became so logistically complicated, and so dependent on some amazing stunts and "gags" that saving money was not really an option. It became a very expensive show. And the good news - the money shows on the screen.

**snippage**

One final note: the cast had a great time shooting this one, even though it was rigorous and the days were long. Amanda, David, and Jewel literally danced and laughed during takes. I think there was even some dinner theatre in there. So enjoy it, because they enjoyed making it.

ATL

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Update Feb 15 '08:

From Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Stargate Atlantis blog:

February 15, 2008

Carl's Back!

Well, the WGA strike is over and that means Executive Producer Carl "The Truth" Binder is back in da house! And not a moment too soon, because, in addition to Carl being a great guy and making such wonderfully colorful comments in the room, I really needed someone to talk to about tomorrow's episode "Midway" and Carl is the obvious choice because he wrote it. But before I do that, I will relate a couple of wonderful anecdotes Carl told me about his time on the picket lines in LA.

**snippage**

Now tomorrow you will see Midway, which is a pure action episode. I'm going to be watching it on HD myself. The story of Midway originated for two reasons, according to Carl. Firstly, the writers wanted to do a Teal'c cross-over episode. So all of you SG-1 fans will surely enjoy seeing Chris Judge reprise the role on Atlantis. Secondly, the producers wanted to get rid of the gate bridge, because it made it too easy for our characters to escape danger and return to Earth. They wanted to return to the feeling of being stranded like we had in the first three seasons. That way the jeopardy, and the drama, is heightened. So this episode basically kills those two birds with one stone.

**snippage**

Enjoy!

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 12:08 AM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

You snipped too much!
                              Here's some more highlights:

Hilarious. Carl also told about the time they were picketing outside the Disney lot, and Calista Flockhart drove up to the gate. Several of the writers walked out onto the crosswalk in front of her car, effectively blocking her from getting into the lot. One even yelled something like "Don't go to work, Calista!" But then, as Carl explained, she gave those writers the look that wives give husbands, and they sheepishly parted. So there you go, a little taste of what it was like out on the front lines.

<she snipped just right. we do not post whole articles/blogs from other sites, rather exerpts and if people want more they can go to the blog>
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 14 February 2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wurlitzer153 View Post
                                You snipped too much!
                                Here's some more highlights:

Hilarious. Carl also told about the time they were picketing outside the Disney lot, and Calista Flockhart drove up to the gate. Several of the writers walked out onto the crosswalk in front of her car, effectively blocking her from getting into the lot. One even yelled something like "Don't go to work, Calista!" But then, as Carl explained, she gave those writers the look that wives give husbands, and they sheepishly parted. So there you go, a little taste of what it was like out on the front lines.

<she snipped just right. we do not post whole articles/blogs from other sites, rather exerpts and if people want more they can go to the blog>
                                Yup, posting whole articles is called copyright infringement and plus if you post it all, nobody goes to the original URL, then the site doesn't get the hits and then they go 'eh, nobody's reading this, and then poof, they don't do it anymore. Well, that's the worst case scenario, but it comes down to depriving the original site of hits and ultimately, $$$$ from those hits.

Comment

Working...
                                X