This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
    I never pay attention to any reviews from the New york Times. Mostly because the reviews they write tend to be quite off the mark. In this case, the Atlantis review seems amiss because Atlantis is one of the highest rated shows on Sci-Fi right now. So how can such a highly rated show generate the review the Times wrote?
    Because when this review was written -- on July 15, 2004 -- it wasn't a highly rated show at that time.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

She just gave it a bad review because she can't perve on Richard Dean Anderson anymore. Sounds like my sister :|
      I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

I was under the impression that journalists should be impartial. From this news report I can see that this reporter is not even trying. I especially like the part at the end where she hints that sci-fi fans only like special effects and have no good taste.
        I can only guess that journalistic standards at the New York Times are going downhill.
        ---------------------------------------
        | Sith Master - Upholding the Dark Side |
        ---------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
          The review was written July 15th, 2004 -- 18 episodes later, Stargate Atlantis is on more firm footing.

Morjana
          I know, that's what I meant. She was wrong cause now that all the episodes have aired, we can say it's a major succes. My point was that you can't judge a show on the basis of 1 or 2 episodes.

Comment

It's definately interesting to read this now that the first season is coming to a close. Obviously it's done wll in the ratings and that's all that really matters. I do have to say that I generally don't take any reviewer seriously once they start talking condescendingly about sci-fi fans. If a review contains anything resembling "if you're in to this kind of thing" or "if the technobabble doesn't bother you" then I tend to tune it out.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by SithMaster
              I was under the impression that journalists should be impartial. From this news report I can see that this reporter is not even trying. I especially like the part at the end where she hints that sci-fi fans only like special effects and have no good taste.
              I can only guess that journalistic standards at the New York Times are going downhill.
              Thats because she's not reporting, she's reviewing as a critic. If all movie critics tried to be impartial they would say every movie is average.

Comment

Originally posted by Unas
                I dont think we should bash her. I didnt like Rising either, it felt like they stole the plot from the movie and CotG. The banter between Wier and Sheppard was circumlocutive. It was the whole of season 1 that made me love SGA.
                Maybe they did, but it worked. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Atlantis was so dark and mysterious, it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                  I know, that's what I meant. She was wrong cause now that all the episodes have aired, we can say it's a major succes. My point was that you can't judge a show on the basis of 1 or 2 episodes.
                  Ah...I understand now.

And you're absolutely right...you can NOT judge a booky by its cover...ot a tv series by its pilot.

Morjana
                  Last edited by morjana; 24 March 2005, 03:29 PM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I can't believe this article actually made it to print. The author isn't a particularly good writer and she's a very poor critic. She throws around a few harsh insults but never backs them up with any solid explanation. The whole peice is very poorly constructed and seems disjointed and thrown together. And it's not like she even really seems to say anything or make any clear points.

I'm truly flabbergasted as to how her superiors let this one slip through.

Comment

Kinda makes you wonder, what the writer of this article has to say now.

Comment

Joe Flanigan must have been REALLY agitated on the set when he read that edition of the New York Times.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefchucky
                          Joe Flanigan must have been REALLY agitated on the set when he read that edition of the New York Times.
                          LoL, I can't wait for the next "Behind the Gate". Joe is going to flip his lid like Michel Shanks did.
                          But seriously, my sister, who sort of likes it could have written a better one. Did she even get one thing right?

Comment

Originally posted by Klems
                            LoL, I can't wait for the next "Behind the Gate". Joe is going to flip his lid like Michel Shanks did.
                            But seriously, my sister, who sort of likes it could have written a better one. Did she even get one thing right?
                            Micheal Shanks flipped his lid? Que?
                            sigpic
                            In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Remember when that one guy from the Conan O'Brian show was cutting into him? He cut back. Ah, it was on there.

Comment

I thought that was a joke. hm... anyway, I've noticed that reviews of things don't tend to reflect what the audience thinks. but that's just most of the time. sometimes, it fits. LotR
                                'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Working...
                                X