No announcement yet.

Stargate Atlantis Hallway Light prop Replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I wait to build the other two smaller lights.....I ordered some silicon So i could make some crystals myself, the glass shop wanted $65! Per crystal and not even as thick as I needed them to be, just an year ago they had quoted me $45.00 so I decided to try to make the crystals myself using a rubber mold....

Spend little time today creating a rubber mold....let's see how it comes out....

Glued down the crystal...getting the mold box ready.....

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to work on the remaining two chicklet boxes...and move this build along....
    "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important." - Teal'c

http://jcprops.wordpress.com/

Comment

Finally cleaned up my workshop/garage ! and did some work today....

Here is a photo that shows the height nicely
      "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important." - Teal'c

Comment

Got two boxes built so far.... Cleaned them up and aligned the holes up....so the crystals stay straight...

Added some profile blocks to the chicklets and filled the gaps up...
        Next with be sanding , sanding and some more sanding....

Also managed to fill the bigger light fixture.with some wood filler, filling up all the lines and joints....

Here is a good shot that shows the depth of the light.....

Comment

Amazing! you should sell props
          Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

So finally got back to the project this thanksgiving weekend after the dinner and a good shopping trip...I spent the sat and Sunday working on the light...

Cleaned up the two chicket light boxes I had built...
            Applied bondo and sanded and sanded applied bondo again.....and sanding again and again...and then applied some more bondo...and left the boxes for now, will sand them later they should be good to go after one more sanding trip.....

................................................................................ ..........

Built the third light box, sanded it and applied filler...will sand it more later and bondo it..

................................................................................ ..........

Aligned the holes for the crystals, and made them straight.

Did a light test...!!

So I will be molding my own crystals for this build, since getting them cut is way too pricy...

So today I spent the afternoon getting the epoxy ratio straight...and molded a crystals, fingers crossed m hoping it comes out like expected..!!!

Cure time is 24hrs for this epoxy, so I am anxiously waiting hoping it cures good.

Tip- you can pop the bubbles after about 5-10...just move the bubbles around!*

Comment

24hrs later....

checked on the molded crystal....

There were bubbles around the edges which is a lesson learnt...these can be eliminated by scraping around the mold when casting....

As far as the crystal in the light..it looks great!!

Comment

OMG!! That's looking great!

I'm a member of a prop-building club and what you do would fit right in. Too bad you're on the other side of the Atlantic.
                Stargate-wise we build a stargate (SG1) - almost as tall as the actual gate, and one of our members built something ancient-y from SG1's episode The Quest.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  OMG!! That's looking great!

I'm a member of a prop-building club and what you do would fit right in. Too bad you're on the other side of the Atlantic.
                  Stargate-wise we build a stargate (SG1) - almost as tall as the actual gate, and one of our members built something ancient-y from SG1's episode The Quest.
                  Thanks!

Oh I would love to be a part of that team!! Build some cool stuff in the group.

Share falcon! Show us the photos of your teams work! It's always awesome to see fan built stuff..

I am hoping that I will get to work on this project this weekend some more...hopefully get it one step closer..

Comment

Hang on... let me find it for you...

Stuff we've built over the years (incl. the Stargate and ancient monolith)

That link will lead you to our old website - we're working on a new one as we speak.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Hang on... let me find it for you...

Stuff we've built over the years (incl. the Stargate and ancient monolith)

That link will lead you to our old website - we're working on a new one as we speak.
                      Very impressive!! Beautiful Stargate!! Loving the amount of detail on all the props...awesome work!!

Comment

Update on the project
                        Had some beautiful weather come in this weekend so this weekend I tackled one of the hardest part to build on this prop..the top crown that holds the crystals...

When you look at it, it looks simple enough to construct but this was rather hard to construct because of the light up feature and the crystals going in this part..

Had to think 5 steps ahead and after a few very funny looking proto-types... I managed to get a concept that would work with all my needs the lights and the crystals.....so here we go

...created a small blue-print - It's always a good idea to plan a little specially when Working with wood

Ha ha this was painful...made five of these funny looking things before I finally had the one that will work in all aspects...

...started with plywood

Cut two side profile blocks..

Glued them up..

This is the bottom- this is what I was talking about planning five steps ahead... Since I will be sliding in LED strip inside this box after everything is done I cannot glue it all together so I made this small piece slide-able. It slides out...in Future it will also help if the LED ever needs to be changed as well..

Making the side wings...I am. Going to use cardboard to create the side wings that go towards the bottom of the light....

At is all the work I could get done today..
                        Here is a pic that show how the top piece makes the light look

Comment

I today, finished the top crown construction...it was such a headache getting those side wings....but I am so glad it is finished...

Built two sets...of the side wings..

Fits the top crown piece pretty well...

Here is how it all looks

A look With the top crown on..

Last night I casted another crystal...and scrapped the bubbles away...m glad to say this one came out very clean..

..……………………………
                          Here is a test of the two casted crystals, I like these over acrylic as these are more like glass...and are more clear...

Next will be cleaning up the light boxes, sanding them down and hopefully soon proto-type a lighting system

Comment

Fun Stuff Sanding :/

did a lot of sanding and bondo and then some sanding again.. Boring stuff lol
                            but here we go..

cleaned up the insides with dremel...sanding the top and the sides and applied more bondo will smooth out one last time with 220 paper... its pretty smooth

Started to prototype the back cover, i wanted it to be easily removed, cus this is where i plan to stick the LED strips.. out magnets on the inside but it proved to more work, more messy- it will be easier just to screw the back cover on and stick some tape on the Back to prevent light leak.

these boxes are proving to more work then i anticipated, slowly but surely i will finish up

Next : sand the big fixture
                            i ordered LED lights so waiting on them to do the light test , so i will sand everything and start on paint hopefully by next weekend.

Comment

Howdy folks! It's been some time since I had a chance to work on the light..
                              We had beautiful weather today...so I spent time doing some more sanding....

Thanks to my friend - FuseNova for the tip on how to paint MDF..

Here we go....

Sanded until, I reached the smooth heaven....and applied primer..!

All the sanding paid off...these turned out so smooth!!

Close up of the top crown

Waiting on the LED lights still.....will try to sample the color on a small MDF block, let's see if i can get the paint scheme correct....!!

Comment

So finally after much wait i got LEDs in the Mail.
                                Did a little test.. i wish the crystals were cleaner... i am going to try to cast the crystals again....and see if they come out any better.. but i am happy with the light, looks sweet..

Comment

Working...
                                X