Infirmary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

( hours later )
    The next time Kym woke up, she was laying on her side with pillows propped against her front and back to keep her from rolling. She forced open one eye and blinked to clear the fuzziness. The bed rail an empty chair and the privacy curtain were the only things in her field of view. Footsteps heralded a visitor.
    “Welcome back, Lieutenant.” The nurse’s low voice was cheerful. “I’m Capt. Fuentes. Just call me Gloria.”
    She fussed with the pillows and blanket before holding a cup with a straw her patient’s mouth. “You can have a few sips of water, if you want.”
    “Thanks. It felt like my throat was stuck together,” Kym croaked. She coughed and spoke again. “Do you have any good news for me?”
    “You’re alive.” She smiled.
    “The others? I saw that Harvey and McCoy took hits. Merrin? Matthews?”
    “You folks have this whole section of the Infirmary. Merrin and Matthews have minor injuries. Harvey and McCoy are more serious but they’re doing OK. The doctor will be around shortly and he can fill you in on your condition.” She fiddled a moment with Kym’s IV, then bustled out.
    Remembering the snippets she’d heard earlier, the woman was scared. What if her problem was permanent?
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    sigpic
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Futura
      "Hi, hope your not playing chess on that" McCoy said with a dumbass joke, noticing the tablet in her arms.
      "What? Oh, this," she jiggled the tablet as it made its booting up chime. "Just trying to get it to work the way it should." She watched as the LCD screen flickered to life, touched the stylus to the screen a couple of times, and smiled in satisfaction as the files modified by the nurse sync'd up with the server. "All better." She looked at him more closely, glancing once around the still-bustling room. "Can I ask what happened out there? The gateroom return was pretty... spectacular." She winced. "If you can't tell me, just say so. I'm kind of out of line here."
      Last edited by ShelBel; 23 October 2005, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Harvey had woken a couple of times as various nurses came into check on her, they hadnt said much other than asking her if she was comfortable. Fortunatley she had a high pain threshold and so didnt often take painkillers therefore at times like this when she really needed them they worked like a treat.

On her second visit she had asked for the curtains around her to be drawn back. Tyler and McCoy were in the beds to her right leaving her in the corner bed. McCoy was making small talk with a young lady wearing blue scrubs, 'wow things must be serious for them to be in scrubs'she thought. 'Well the other two were concious and I've been in much worse shape so Im sure we'll all live'

"Excuse me" she accosted the next nurse who happened to pass by "I wondered how much longer before the Doc comes and gives us the verdict?"

" Not long she's just finnishing up her reports and then she'll be out, she wanted to make sure you all had plenty of rest"

" Fair enough, what about our kit do you know what happened to it?"

" Its around here somewhere, it was bagged up ready to be dropped by your quarters, but no ones been for it yet. The weapons were all taken back to the armoury." Harvey made a mental note to check on her bow when she was out, P90s could be replaced but her bow was one of a kind.

"Do you think I could get my PDA? As great as the company is around here theres something I need to do!"

Comment

(( OOC – Our CMO is on LOA. Dr. Julianna Steele and Dr. Augustus (Gus) Aaronson are NPC medical staff. ))
          (( edit - reading this after it posted, it's confusing without line breaks. ))

The curtain around Kym’s bed was pulled back, leaving her a view of McCoy in the next bed and Harvey in the corner. They were conscious, a good sign. A better sign, McCoy was chatting with a young lady. She wondered if it would be a good idea to try turning onto her other side, having her back to the rest of the room was making her nuts. The squeak of rubber soled shoes coming closer caught her attention.

Dr. Augustus Aaronson swept around the corner pushing a wheelchair which, once he locked the wheels next to her bed, he sank into with a sigh. “I have to admit, you all do know how to make an entrance.”

“Yeah, we’re dramatic as hell, Doc.” Her voice quavered as she continued, “Is that thing for me?”

“Unless you’d rather lounge around in bed for a week, it is.” He noticed Kym’s white knuckled grip on the bed rail. “Only a week,” he reassured her, “Maybe less. You did a number on your back but, nothing permanent.”

“So why can’t I feel my legs?” She slapped her thigh.

“You will. Once the anti-inflammatories do their stuff.” He leaned over, pried her fingers off the rail and held her hand. “Merrin filled me in. When you got shot, the impact damaged your spine and back muscles. And, had you been able to give them rest and medication, there would be no problem. Since that was impossible, you aggravated the condition and everything started to swell. Including the sheaths that surround the nerves in your spine. When they swelled too much, they wouldn’t transmit signals. You lost sensation and movement.”

“How long?” Kym interrupted.

“Let’s see, shall we?” Gus got up and went to the end of the bed to uncover her feet. “Don’t look, that’s cheating.” He took a sharp tipped probe from his pocket and began lightly poking her leg. “Tell me when . . .”

“Hey, that hurt!” Kym started grinning. “That hurt. That’s good, huh?”

“Very good.” He covered her feet and sat back down. “Another 24 hours, maybe less. After that, you’re going to give everything the rest it needs. I don’t want to see you out of this chair unless you’re in bed or going to the loo. Got it?”

“Yes, Sir. Absolutely, Sir.” She gave him a casual salute.

“Oh, you can lose the cocoon. The burns weren’t bad, either. Some second degree that will leave small scars. As long as they don’t hurt, you can lie on your back or sit up.” He pulled most of the pillows from around her and helped her roll over.

After Gus left, Kym raised the head of the bed until she was almost sitting straight. Staring at her feet, she willed them to move. When the left one jerked slightly, she glanced toward Major Harvey. Catching the other woman’s eye, Kym gave her a big smile and a thumbs up.
          Last edited by Jynjyr; 24 October 2005, 02:25 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

"I will tell you as since your on this base you must have security clearence anyway" McCoy said "Take a seat and i will tell you a story our little adventure offworld" McCOy said with a smile.

Proud Supporter of:
            - 'Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis' -

'If you don't tell me what I want to know, then it'll just be a question of how much you want it to hurt!'
            - Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

Jaime grinned and cradled the tablet PC in her arms as he began to speak, only to be interrupted by a tap on her shoulder. She turned to find one of the male nurses standing there expectantly.

"Is it fixed?"

"Hmmm? Oh, yes, sorry!" Sheepishly she handed over the tablet to the nurse, who shooed her out of the way as he bent to take the patient's vitals. Disappointed, she looked over her shoulder at him- gawd, she hadn't even had a chance to get his name. "Later?"

He simply smiled and nodded. "Sure."

Jaime hazarded a quick glance at her watch. "I'll be back during normal visiting hours," she grinned, and peered at the chart hanging off the end of the bed, "Captain... McCoy?" He nodded again, and she grinned back before turning around and heading out the door and back to the locker area.

A swift change of clothes and she was back in her comfortable uniform. It wasn't strictly required, but she felt more of the whole when she wore it, more like an integral piece of the base.

Her stomach grumbled and she took another glance at her watch, the time finally registering. No wonder she was hungry! Hoping something in the mess was edible, she slid her keycard thru the reader at the elevator and stepped inside as soon as the doors opened. Hmmm... Mess was on 2, and if memory served her, the armory was on 4, back behind the Gateroom... a little bit out of the way, but meh.

"I wonder if Dean is hungry?" she mused aloud as the doors closed. Mind made up, she hit the button for sub-level 4 and hummed to herself as the elevator rose.

<< to the armory >>

((OOC: What time is it, anyway? LOL! ))
              Last edited by ShelBel; 24 October 2005, 06:32 AM.

Comment

(OOC - I have lost the plot with the time lol)

Harvey had been watching Tyler chat to the Doc and watched as he tapped her foot, she had felt it which was a good sighn. The doctor left her side and she watched as Tyler willed her leg to move, there was a jerk and then a smile lit up her face, Harvey smiled back and Tyler gave her the thumbs up. "So you up to a quick session in the gym and a run round the base" she joked adding a wink.

The doctor was making his way toward Harvey 'please let him say I can leave this place'. Just then Harvey noticed the nurse return with her PDA.

"Major Harvey, Im Dr Aaronson how you feeling?"

"Ive been better, but Ill live" she smiled "those pain killers are dioing the trick thanks".The nurse came over and put the PDA on the table at the side of the bed "thanks" she whispered and smiled at the woman.

"Well the good news is you'll make a full recovery, Im not gonna mess around though your leg is gonna be painfull for some time, youve lost a small area of muscle. Fortunatley your vest and pack absorded the shot to your side and back so its just some bruising and burns. Id like you to rest up and let you start the heeling process, then you're gonna need some physio on your leg. Normally this would take a few months but we have a few perks here and you should be up and about in no time." Dr Aaronson sounded confident and that rubbed off, if he said she would be OK then she belived him. The pain she could deal with, growing up with three older brothers you soon got used to it.

The Doc said his good byes and moved onto his next patient, Harvey picked up her PDA and started to look for something.

Comment

'Okay later then.... sorry i didnt catch your name" McCoy ask the women mending the Data Tablet.
                  After sayin good bye to the women McCoy pulled out His Data Tablet which he had asked a nurse to get earlier. He opened a few files and started to play Solitare to pass the time. After a while it started to get boring and asked Major Harvey if she wanted to play chess.

Proud Supporter of:

'If you don't tell me what I want to know, then it'll just be a question of how much you want it to hurt!'
                  - Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

Harvey was flicking through the files on her PDA, every so often she would stop and read one and then carry on looking, she new it was in there somewhere. She was half way through another file when McCoy asked if she'd like to play Chess? "Would love to but I havent a clue how to play" she laughed "Dad kept threatening to teach me but never quite got round to it, I think he figured I couldnt sit still long enough. He was probably right!"

Comment

"I can teach you" McCoy said. Slowly sitting up in his bed. Turin the data tablet so Harvey can see. "This peice is called a Pawn and can olny move on this direction but if another peice....." McCoy went on sayin what the different peies can do and what direaction they are allowed to go. "I'll go easy on you, besides this game is all about stratergy" McCoy smiled. McCoy played with the bandages around his chest as they were in the way. "Ready Major?" asked McCoy.

Proud Supporter of:

- Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

Matthews Walked in, head lowerd so that the people in the infirmary couldnt see his face. He was wearing civilian attire, but had badages and bruises form the mission.

"Lt. Kym, are you alright?" Matthews spoke, Kym was just getting into a wheel chair as Matthews Walked in. "i came to check up on everyone. it seems that only you and harvey are hospitalized" Mccoy is going to be fine and harvey is going to make a full recovery."I also came to say sorry for my actions. It was a rash decision, and i belive i caused your wounds and for that im sorry"

"SGC command is trying to listen to interstella messages sent by ships in order to track macri and rag'nor."

"oh more visitors" Dr Fuentes smiled cherrily and gave a book to Kym on wheelchair instructions. Wheel chairs can be tricky if you never have used them, please flick through and read at your leisure. she spoke as she was changing the sheets on kyms ex-bed.

So what are our plans now Lt? Matthews wondered.
                        Last edited by Ascended_Elite_mercenary; 27 October 2005, 08:46 PM.

Name: Issac Matthews
                        Team: SG-3(Marines)
                        click for biography

Comment

(( pssstt. McCoy is in the bed next to Tyler. He didn't get off uninjured. You might want to edit your previous post to reflect that. ))

Kym eased herself into the wheelchair, thankful that it wasn't going to be a permanent fixture. She looked down to check that her feet were on the supports. She didn't have a lot of control yet. Her legs and feet felt like they'd been shot full of novacaine.

Nurse Fuentes made sure she was settled comfortably and handed her a pamphlet. "Wheel chairs can be tricky if you never have used them, please flick through and read at your leisure."

Kym tucked the book next to her hip. "Thanks, Gloria. Unfortunately, I have used one of these before. A broken ankle and torn up knee. Souvenirs of my first try at Survival School."

Kym smiled up at Matthews. "Hi, Issac. I'm gonna be alright. Thanks for checking."
                          She waved away his apology. "What you did was, frankly, dumb. It endangered all of us but, it didn't cause my injury. The Jaffa did that. And my own stubborness."
                          Tyler jerked her head toward the corner bed where Major Harvey was still doing something on her PDA. "She's the one you're going to have to deal with."

Matthews glanced over and grimaced. "So what are our plans now, Lt?"

Kym shook her head. "I haven't the faintest idea. Two Lieutenants don't make a team. General Blue and Colonel Sharp are going to have to decide where we go. We'll be assigned to other teams, I guess."
                          She bumped Matthew's leg gently with the chair to make him step back, then wheeled her way around to stop between McCoy's and Harvey's beds. "It looks like we're all going to live, huh?"
                          Last edited by Jynjyr; 26 October 2005, 03:30 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

"Well I suppose Im not going anywhere" Harvey replied to McCoys offer to teach her chess. He launched right in turning the data tablet to face her and explaining away the way the game worked. As he was talking she noticed Mathews enter the Infirmary and make his way over to Tyler. Harvey was in no mood for him now and hoped he would stay away from her, she really wanted to give him a piece of her mind but she didnt want to do it here and now.

Tyler finnished her conversation with Mathews and left him standing by her bed as she wheeled her way over to the two of them. "It looks like we're all going to live, huh?" Tyler announced.

"Yeah but I think we're all gonna be needing some new BDUs thanks to those staff blasts" Harvey laughed "Mine seem to have a few more holes than standard issue!What did the doc say about your injuries" she nodded toward Tyler hinting that the question was aimed at the fact she was in a wheelchair.

Comment

Kym heaved a relieved sigh thumped one fist on the armrest, "My friend for about a week, Doc says." She wiggled her feet, "I won't be running a marathon but, they're starting to work again."
                              She turned a little so the occupants of both beds were included in her questions.
                              "How about you, Major? They got you twice, I heard."
                              "And, I'm sorry McCoy. I don't remember your first name. How you doing?"
                              sigpic

Comment

"the Doc says i should be fine in a few days, it will leave a scar but i will live" he said answering Tylers question, moving the data tablet so he had room to shake Tylers hand "David is my first name, my friends call me either Dave or Danny its up to you which" answering Tylers question about his name. "I'm surprised i havent seen the general yet, to come down and ask questions on what happened out their" David said to the group of injuryed SGC members.

Proud Supporter of:

- Jack Bauer (24)

Comment

Working...
                                X