No announcement yet.

Mess Hall / Commissary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((OOC, I'm not sure what the RP time is, and I'm short on time at the moment))

Airman Lindbergh shrugged in the prep area of the mess, downing the last few drops of arabian mocha sanani left in his carafe. He had to admit, since McKinnon had taken over SG-3, and Hutchinson had been hurt during the Bisenti incident, that the quality coffee supply wasn't being hit nearly as hard. He smiled to himself. He had no obligation to share it with anyone other than those McKinnon and Hutchinson had requested, and didn't mind it, considering how they'd saved his life back on Earth.

Rising from his musings, he strode over to the freezer. Since he'd been given a bit more responsibility on the line, he actually got to flex his culinary muscles more often, a by-product of an innocent discussion with the mess chief. He decided to go with a surf and turf entree for the sg-teams and top ranking base personnel today, though they'd have to wait since it was cooked to order. Pulling out a slab of nix tenderloin that had been aging for 21 days, he carved it into 1 1/2 inch thick slabs to be seasoned and broiled later. Then, he prepped the scallops - actually the local equivalent - and bacon. Finally he minced a large amount of garlic and onions.

He smiled wistfully as he began his test dish to submit to Swanson, knowing full well he'd approve it. Seasoning the tenderloin with sea salt and black pepper, then coating it with a thin layer of virgin olive oil, he set it on the broiler for 7 minutes. He then threw several slices of bacon, chopped into smaller pieces onto a frying pan set on low. Once that was underway, he blotted dry a portion of scallops and seasoned them with black pepper and sea salt. Turning back to the oven, he turned a burner to medium high and let a pan heat. Once it warmed up, he dropped a quarter stick of butter in the pan to melt.

Lindbergh flipped the tenderloins then added the scallops to the now melted butter to sear for 4 minutes, being careful to not stir them once in to allow the proper carmelization. Draining the fat from the bacon, he returned it to the burner, and added some garlic and onions. stirring it together. Turning back to the scallops, he deftly flipped them over to cook the other side, then stirred the bacon/garlic/onion mix again. Pulling the tenderloin from the oven, he checked the doneness with his thumb, and, seeing it spring back pretty quickly, smiled at another perfect medium rare steak. Covering it with foil to rest, he removed the scallops from the heat and plated them, then covered them with some of the bacon/garlic/onion mix. Satisfied with his work, he removed the foil from the tenderloin and plated it alongside the scallops, and again covered it with the bacon/garlic/onion mix. He then took the plate, plus the required utensils over to Swanson at his table in the back of the kitchen area to try. Lindbergh was a bit nervous, but he figured if Harry approved it that the SG-teams and brass would appreciate the change of pace from the usual mess fare. "Here you go, Boss, let me know what you think"

((OOC, if one of the old-timers wants to play the mess boss (I hope I remembered his name, it's been forever), feel free to do so, and throw the entree out there for use. The vets are free to NPC Lindbergh, just don't filch McKinnon and Hutchinson's coffee stash ))

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

[Capt. Nicholas Blake Connor, Senior Gate Controller]

< Mess hall >

The rumblings going on in his stomach got louder as Nicholas entered the Mess and grabbed a tray. He went about the assorted foods and beverages; he picked up a ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of orange juice.

Finding an empty table Nicholas walked over and sat down. He tore the sandwich packaging and grabbed one half then rushed it into his mouth with manners of course.

A sip of orange juice followed then more bites of his sandwich. Nicholas wondered if someone would join him.

Comment

Swanson raised an eyebrow at the airman as the plate was slid in front of him. Not wanting to reveal the fact that the plate's aroma was actually tantalizing his pallet. Without a word he stabbed a tenderloin and brought the fork to his mouth. Slowly and precisely chewing the morsel. As it made its way down his throat he cleaned his tastebuds with the planet's version of water with lemon. There were no words just a motion to acquire one of the scallops. A small glimmer of a grin gave away his pleasure but, that was quickly aborted. It was good, no, it was excellent. He hadn't had great expectations from their original conversation. Lindbergh contininued to impress him.

"And what exactly were you plans for this?"

Harry Swanson - Mess Boss
        sigpic
        SCORE!!
        The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Lindbergh looked Swanson in the eyes, trying to read him, but the mess boss was putting on a pretty good poker face. "Well, boss, I was thinking the brass and SG-teams might like a bit of a top-shelf entree choice once in a while to help boost morale. Maybe have a special once a week or whatever rotation supplies and your decision dictates. Possibly rotating specials for different branches of personnel once a month, as a kind of appreciation for what they do."

He paused briefly, noting that Swanson was continuing to savor the tenderloin and scallops. Unable to resist, he had to ask his opinion. "So... what do you think, Chief?"

Airman Lindbergh, Mess Cook, Coffee Procurer

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Swanson listened to the plans of his new so it seems protege. He liked what he saw, heard and tasted.

"How much of this did you make? Enough for two to sample? I am putting together a lunch tray for the General and his guest. If you have enough add it to the delivery as a side bonus. If no one calls back ill..." A small grin crossed his face.

"Dismissed." He didn't turn to make eye contact or see if the man was still lurking about.

Raising his voice slightly, "While you are at it. Draft me an outline of your plans including some suggested menus." He took another bite of the plated fair that he had detained. "It will make good bedtime reading. I will get back with you."

Harry Swanson - Mess Boss
            sigpic
            SCORE!!
            The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

<From Sub-level 7 male locker>
              Michael hurriedly stepped off the elevator and quickly headed to the Mess Hall chow line. There were a few random people in line but nobody he recognized and he didn't have time talk to anyone. There was not much in the way of heated food since the mess hall staff was cleaning up and preparing for the next meal. After a few patient minutes of waiting for the others to select their food, Michael grabbed a pre-made sandwich and some fruit.

As we walked started to walk passed the last table noticed that he forgot some coffee so he headed to the drink station. He grabbed a cup for coffee but also ended up knocking over a couple of over cups. Three cups just fell on the counter but one fell on the floor and shattered.

"It appears that my bad luck has come back again or I need to settle down," Michael said to himself out loud as he place his sandwich and fruit on the counter. It appeared to Michael that one of the Mess staff noticed the broken glass and nodded that they would be there in a moment with a broom. Michael grabbed as many of the big pieces as he could but when he grabbed the broken handle, it cut the palm of his hand. "why am I not surprised?" He looked at thecut it looked deep and bleeding as if he had cut himself with a razor blade. Michael put pressure on the wound and headed out of the Mess hall with a small trail of blood behind him.

<Infirmary>
              -------------
              "I'll be in my bunk," Jayne Cobb
              "Indeed,"

Aftermath RP

SG1, Resurgence RP Daniel Jackson

Comment

<From sub-level 7>
                Once the elevator stopped to the floor Michael stepped in the direction of the chow line. At the very beginning of the line next to the clean trays was a tray with some covered soup, sandwich, coffee in a plastic travel mug, and bottle of water. Placed on the tray was a note with Michael's name on it. Michael looked around nobody was around and the guy behind the counter shrugged his shoulders.

Michael opened the note and it said "I saw what happened so I made you a tray. I hope the coffee and the soup are still hot when you get." He closed the note, grabbed the tray and back for the elevator.
                -------------
                "Indeed,"

Aftermath RP

Comment

<<From Science Labs>>
                  Andrew stepped into the mess hall and looked around. The place was deserted except for a few stragglers, who were eating a snack or a meal. Andrew didn’t recognize them, and if he did he would have taken the coffee to go. He was there to think not to socialize, You are doing it again. He heard in the voice of his best friend John Clayton.

He shook his head, Yeah so He thought back. Andrew knew that it was a futile response and he knew what John’s reaction would have been to it. He would have shook his head and said Science is about cooperation, we wouldn’t have made it through without help and you know it.

The point is moot anyways, Andrew reassured himself as he started his way over to the coffee. His mind ran through the problem as his hands operated on autopilot grabbing the cup, and beginning to pour the coffee, Maybe if the device is supposed to-

“****,” Andrew jumped with a start as hot coffee overflowed from the cup and met his hand. He dropped the cup it landed on the table below with a clunk, the coffee spilt all over. He quickly looked around to find that his declaration of pain had made almost everyone look over to him. “My bad,” He said sheepishly.
                  Andrew searched around for a towel or something to clean this mess up, but it was in vain as airman showed up at his shoulder with cleaning supplies in hand. “Let me clean that up for you, sir.”

“Thanks,” Said Andrew as he stepped aside, “I am sorry about that, I just got lost in my thoughts”

“It happens, sir” The airman wasn’t even looking at Andrew as he started to clean up, “How is your hand?”

“It is uh,” He looked down and saw that it was red and as his embarrassment faded the pain shot up. “Not good,”

“You might want to get that checked out, sir”

“I think I just might,” Grabbing his hand Andrew turned to leave for the med bay, forgetting the line of thought he had just before he spilt the coffee.

<<To the Infirmary>>

((OOC: I figured I would join up with everyone else and see what all the fuss is about))
                  Dr. Andrew Clarke

Aftermath GW RP

Comment

<<Armory>> - <Commissary>

{Tyrone (Ty) Henry Jamuljun, NZSASR}- {Master Sergeant Dean Andrews}

Ty never realised how infrequently he came here. He ate mostly in the Armory, even sleeping there mostly on a cot at the back, he turned to his boss. "Say Sarge, you know I barely know these guys, 'cept maybe when they get me to fix something they bugger up. Strange ain't it, all this time and I'm still a stranger. Ah well, no biggy, let's eat, what are you havin'?"

Comment

{Master Sergeant Dean Andrews, Chief Master Sergeant Henry Swanson}

"Ya don't say?"
                      Dean said as he grabbed a tray. "Chief Swanson and I are actually pretty good friends. We've both been here before the base was even finished!"

He grabbed another tray and handed it to Ty. "Here you go."

Sliding his tray down the line he looked out for the special surprise Swanson promised. Chicken, mashed potatoes, some alien looking vegetables, pizza - where was the good stuff?

"Ya know what- I'll introduce you to him! None of this looks 'surprise' worthy to me."
                      He angled his head over the top of the food to see if he could spot Henry in the kitchen. There didn't seem to be any attendants on duty - they were a little late to lunch - so Dean put his hand to his mouth and called back.

"Hey Swanson! You back there?"

Dean waited a second and shrugged, but as he was about to move on a man came around the corner, a full apron over his uniform and an oven mitt on his left hand.

"Heya Dean!"
                      Henry greeted him. "Bout time they let you outta that rat's nest!"

"You betcha, Chief, but you better be sure it's not your food keepin the Goa'uld off this base. Unless we made 'em eat it, of course!"

Andrews nudged Ty and laughed along with Swanson.

"So who's your friend?"

"Oh, let me introduce Corporal Jumuljun. He's in there as long as I am nowadays! This kid is handy with his weaponry, let me tell you..."

"Well met, son. I'm Chief Swanson - the man behind all of these delicacies."
                      He gave a wink.

(Man, I haven't played Swanson in forever! Great to be able to bring him out.)
                      Last edited by Colonel Sharp; 04 August 2010, 02:04 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

<Mess Hall>
                        Michael stepped off the elevator and headed to Mess Hall. Once inside he wandered over to the tray and dish return. He placed his dirty dishes and tray in the bins in which they belonged. All of a sudden a loud rumbling noise came from his stomach. "Where did that come from?" he said out loud. "I swear I didn't eat that long ago but I guess my stomach wants a snack." He then wandered over to the chow line and grabbed a blueberry looking muffin and a travel mug for some coffee. After looking around to see if there was anybody he knew was in the mess, there was nobody he knew. He did see several guys sitting seeming to be introducing each other. Michael walked over. "Excuse me, do you mind if I join you?"
                        -------------
                        "Indeed,"

Aftermath RP

Comment

"Not a problem,"
                          Dean smiled at the newcomer. "I think It'd be better to eat here." He mentioned to Ty.

"Say,"
                          Henry rubbed the small stubble that appeared on his chin. "Aren't you the computer doctor?"

(SUPER lame post I thought I would get in before rushing out the door - if no one responds by the time I get back later, I'll edit and add in some more )
                          sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

{Corporal Tyrone (Ty) Henry Jamuljun} - {Master Sergeant Dean Andrews, Chief Master Sergeant Henry Swanson} - {Michael West}

Ty grabbed what could only be described as elementary Pizza, with something slightly resembling cheese, he placed on his tray and sat with the others. "Chief." He nodded to the older man. "Mike, we've met before, I did some lathe work for ya not long ago remember? Say Chief, do you ever do Chinese?" He gave a cheeky wink to Dean his boss.

Comment

(Apollo- I'm just going to let that one stand and continue here )

Dean nearly laughed at the question. It seemed that Ty had a craving for some Chinese food.

Swanson smiled. "I make everything! The brass like a little variety and I'm the best in the business." With that, he winked back and took off his oven mitt - tossing it on a counter behind him.

"So, 'computer doctor'? See Dean - another essential part of this base that doesn't involve shooting people."

Dean chuckled and rolled his eyes - he didn't have a comeback for that one.

sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

{Corporal Tyrone (Ty) Henry Jamuljun} - {Master Sergeant Dean Andrews, Chief Master Sergeant Henry Swanson}

"Yeah it sucks doesn't it? There's blood, pain. People get antsy over it and the there's the retribution. Man I mean I love my job, but sometimes I still wish I was fishing out there in the Pacific, you know what I mean." Ty said around a mouthful of Pizza, which despite it's appearance, was surprisingly good.

Comment

Working...
                                X