• Time
  • Show
Clear All

COLUMN: Filling the Gaps

CHEVRON NINE:
    FILLING THE GAPS
    Examining casting options for Season Nine of the born-again sci-fi series
    BY - David Read

If Jack doesn't return full-time in Season Nine, who could possibly take his place?

READ MORE ...

David, that article was kick-ass!! Good job on it. You must have made some additions pretty quick though, in order to add in the Ben Browder casting news. *thumbs up*
    Rocky

Comment

Good article David.

I especially liked this paragraph...cause it doesn't matter how cool your cast, it all starts with the writing.

In my humble opinion, the show is in the best of hands -- but new writer's blood is just as important as the people in front of the cameras. Without fresh material they will be unable to put on as good performances. Not that any of the current staff should get the boot, but a new writer or two should be introduced in the new year. When Peter DeLuise joined the team, amazing things happened. There are other DeLuise-equivalents out there with brand new ideas, eager to aid the established writing staff and propel Stargate into an even brighter future. If the writers recognize that a stand-still in the staff is probably not in the best interests of the series, I can't even imagine what a magnificent year Season Nine could be.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
        David, that article was kick-ass!! Good job on it. You must have made some additions pretty quick though, in order to add in the Ben Browder casting news. *thumbs up*
        Yeah I was talking with Darren - if it had come out a week sooner it would've been prophetic! I wrote this about two and a half weeks ago, so ...

BTW, I haven't posted since Ben was added to the cast. I am thrilled.

Comment

It's a nice article, thoughtful and positive.

Madeleine

Comment

Great job David! Even though I have some reservations about a season 9 you've made me look forward to some of the possibilites that could arise from it.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I have to agree with the others and just state that it was a great article and I liked a lot of the ideas in it.

Comment

Browder adds a whole new dimension to the possibilities. Frelling Brilliant to get him on board. But Jack is Jack. There is no substitute. When RDA really acts, he shines. He jumps off the screen. Browder too. Conceivably, the two could alternate storylines so RDA could have his schedule. Browder can play irreverent and snarky with intelligence. So Browder on the team reporting to Jack is great action and comedy waiting to happen. Browder can put the action back in the field. Gen. Jack's character can be expanded and explored on the base and on a more personal level. I think we can have it all.
                Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Wonderful article David. It gave me some things to think about. Thanks
                  sigpic

Comment

That was a great read, David! Thank you so much. I knew you were my favorite.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Interesting article, David. And interesting suggestions. I wish I shared your optimism about the prospects for SG-1's future.

I definitely agree that SG-1 needs new writers. Someone who has the nerve to shake things up a bit and who won't be hampered by the shadow of Jack when it comes to writing stuff for Browder's character. Heck, when it comes to writing anything. New ideas, new nerves, new directions; without them, it won't matter who gets cast because it'll all taste stale. My opinion, anyway.

I hope S9 lives up to your dreams, David. Your picture is much brighter than my own.

Comment

I disagree with you man ! S9 can't be a bad idea ! go for it I say !!!! we wanna more stargate ! Hope they won't listen to your little opinion man ! your statement are not objective enough so try to correct it. New writters could be a good idea but they have to be pretty good because our old one are awesome
                        - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                        - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                        - The Nox

Comment

You don't have to agree with me but please don't tell me I'm WRONG. My opinion is my own and I don't have to justify it to you or anyone and I sure as hell don't have to "correct" it. You are not me (thank the gods). You have no idea where I'm coming from on this so don't go assuming that you know the situation better than I do. It's called an OPINION for a reason.

As for TPTB... they've never listened to me before, why would they start now? Besides, S9 and Browder are done deals, they're going to happen no matter who complains about it, be it I or others. And there ARE others out there who are just as negative/ambivalent about another season as I am.

David, again, 'twas a very nice article. You write good stuff. Personally I can't imagine them trying to resurrect Mini Jack in any long-term capacity, but I'd love to see Sarah again and I have to admit that Adam Baldwin did a pretty good job in Heroes. I wouldn't mind having him back, either. There are some others, as well, who could make for a very... interesting dynamic with the rest of the team.

I remember that I was feeling intensely negative about Atlantis, too, and now I love it more than SG-1. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds. I'm just not gonna hold my breath.

Comment

I really like the idea of Dixon coming back. I loved him in "Heros" and I think the character has a lot to offer the show.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

David, it was a good article - thoughtfully written. And also honest enough to call for TPTB to take a risk themselves and invest in some new writing talent ( hey guys, whatever happened to those women writers from the first couple seasons?!).

The fans are ready for a reinfusion of energy and, now that MGM has renewed for S9, let's hope the budget widens to incorporate two successful Stargates. Watching the first season of Atlantis just reminds us of the original energy and storylines of its predecessor.

I was surprised that you didn't mention the Burke character from Evolution in your list of SG-1 "candidates". I thought the actor (Costellano) was wonderful and played off Jack so well. Now, he and Maybourne and Jack in an episode would certainly make my day

Of course, besides RDA, the other variable is AT herself. Hard to predict whether her new role as momma will lead to professional decisions which may lessen her presence in the series on a long-term basis. And, with Janet dead and gone, just who ever could replace our Sam Carter?!

Keep us on top of all the incoming news - maybe Ben Browder will be tagged as Daniel's long lost twin? I see him on the front line as the fourth team member - seems a little too young for O'Neill's position. Sadly, I don't think they'll get Don Davis back from his new life in LA; hey, I just thought of a really cool commander-in-chief: Sean Connery ....

Let the games begin!

Comment

Working...
                              X