PDA

View Full Version : The Ratings Thread

Madwelshboy
February 14th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Dollhouse' attracts just under 5 million viewers

More than a fair share of Joss Whedon fans turned out Friday to see the premiere of Fox's Dollhouse. The mythological drama starring Eliza Dushku attracted 4.7 million viewers - a pretty decent jump over the eyeball levels for The Sarah Connor Chronicles at 8 (which lured a mere 3.7 million), according to fast national ratings. In fact, Dollhouse helped Fox double its viewership levels among women versus Chronicles and helped the net finish in second place among adults 18-34 and in first place across key male demos for the night.

So what does this mean for Dollhouse's longterm prospects? Though 4.7 million isn't that great -Fox typically averages 5.5 million on Fridays - the Whedon drama has a better chance of making it over the long haul if it stays put on the night. In fact, network insiders have long cautioned that if the series were scheduled earlier in the week and ended up attracting these kind of (low) viewership levels, it would have been axed by its second or third airing. So relax, Whedonites - Dushku and Co. appear safe for now.

Chronicles will remain as Dollhouse's lead-in until Fox runs out of episodes; later, the Terminator franchise will be replaced by Prison Break for its final six episodes

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/02/dollhouse-attra.html

Madwelshboy
February 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
So, Did Viewers Welcome Themselves to Dollhouse?

Friday TV's Big Gamble: Fox bet it could win back sci-fi fans from cable with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Joss Whedon's new Dollhouse.

Did It Pay Off? No and sort of. In its Friday debut, Terminator (3.7 million, per Nielsen estimates as reported by MediaWeek) bombed. Fox scored more viewers last week with the far-cheaper Cops (4 million), and did just as poorly in the 18-49 demo (fourth place). At 9 p.m., Dollhouse showed some spunk. While the premiere drew about the same-sized audience as last week's America's Most Wanted (4.7 million), it finished second in the hour in the demo (up from AMW's previous fourth-place finish).

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b100075_did_viewers_welcome_themselves_dollhouse.html

ShadowMaat
February 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Given all the grumblings I've seen about the premiere it'll be interesting to see how big of a drop there'll be in the ratings for the next ep.

LoneStar1836
February 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Well the early reviews I read noted that the coming episodes were better than the premier so if people were smart they'd at least give the next two episodes a look.

ShadowMaat
February 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
...if people were smart they'd at least give the next two episodes a look.

*pats LS on the head* I KNOW you've been in fandom long enough to see how funny that is. ;)

Rodney dex
February 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
i think the veiwing are only going to improve

LoneStar1836
February 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Dollhouse' attracts just under 5 million viewers

So what does this mean for Dollhouse's longterm prospects? Though 4.7 million isn't that great -Fox typically averages 5.5 million on Fridays - the Whedon drama has a better chance of making it over the long haul if it stays put on the night. In fact, network insiders have long cautioned that if the series were scheduled earlier in the week and ended up attracting these kind of (low) viewership levels, it would have been axed by its second or third airing. So relax, Whedonites - Dushku and Co. appear safe for now.

Chronicles will remain as Dollhouse's lead-in until Fox runs out of episodes; later, the Terminator franchise will be replaced by Prison Break for its final six episodes

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/02/dollhouse-attra.htmlMissed this the first time. What the heck did FOX have on Friday nights to begin with that pulled in an average of 5.5 mil?? :S There is barely anything to watch on that channel to begin with....and now that's it's American Idol season, that airs 3 times a week.

And yes they need to keep it in one spot on Friday nights and don't move it around the schedule.

*pats LS on the head* I KNOW you've been in fandom long enough to see how funny that is. ;)lol. What was I thinking!? :D

Madwelshboy
February 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Dollhouse premiere ratings even worse than expected

Friday night death slot indeed.

The series premiere of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse was seen by just 4.7 million viewers on Friday night and earned a 2.0 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and 6 share, below even the network's modest expectations for the series, the Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed reported.

Dollhouse was beaten in the 9 p.m. hour by ABC's Supernanny (8.5 million viewers, 2.2/7) and is the lowest-rated drama series premiere on a major broadcast network this season, aside from NBC's now-defunct Crusoe, the site reported.

Dollhouse was paired with the midseason return of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which moved from its previous Monday-night timeslot, and that show also saw its ratings fall: 3.7 million viewers, for a 1.3 rating and 5 share. Terminator came in third place in the hour and hit a series low (by like 27 percent), Live Feed reported.

Terminator beat NBC's Howie Do It, but not by much. Both CBS' Ghost Whisperer (8.9 million, 2.4/8) and ABC's Wife Swap (4.3 million, 1.5/5) did better.

Fox had hopes at least of coming out ahead of ABC's reality block. But Terminator was sinking in the ratings earlier this season, and Dollhouse has suffered from negative buzz and creative trouble for months.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhouse-premiere-ratings-even-worse-than-expected.php

Madwelshboy
February 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Poor start for Whedon's 'Dollhouse'
Monday, February 16 2009, 09:28 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Joss Whedon's highly anticipated new series Dollhouse got off to a sluggish start in the ratings on Friday night.

The show stars Buffy alumnus Eliza Dushku as one of several "dolls" whose memories can be imprinted with different skills and personality traits.

According to early figures, the premiere pulled in 4.7 million viewers in the 9pm hour on Friday for Fox. The ratings represent the second lowest premiere audience for a scripted series on a major broadcast network this season, behind only NBC's ill-fated adventure drama Crusoe.

Dollhouse was beaten in its slot by ABC's Supernanny, which drew 6.1 million for the hour.

Earlier, the return of The Sarah Connor Chronicles after a midseason break proved a poor lead-in for Dollhouse, with just 3.7 million viewers in the 8pm hour.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a146809/poor-start-for-whedons-dollhouse.html

ShadowMaat
February 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Y'know, if they put Dollhouse up against something as craptastic as Supernanny, they HAVE to know they're going to lose. :rolleyes: Mainstream audiences are sheep; they'll pick the no-brainer pseudo-reality programming over something (*gasp!* *horror!*) creative practically any day of the week. Who wants to watch a bunch of highly-controlled living dolls when you can watch a bunch of squalling, uncontrollable brats instead? Pfft. Audiences suck.

As it happens, though, the Friday night time slot works really well for me. Mentalist is in the 9-slot on Tuesdays and Supernatural on Thursdays and if y'all think Supernanny is killing Joss, putting him up against Heroes or Lost would be premeditated murder. ;)

I also tend to take all the ratings stuff with a grain of salt. You can spin the numbers to make them say anything you want and people LOVE a good train wreck (see above, re: Supernanny) so turning Joss into a casualty could just be another bit of storytelling.

Were the ratings phenomenal? No. Maybe the folks at FOX were stupid enough to expect that, but I didn't. Is there going to be a big drop this Friday? Almost certainly. Will it spell doom for Dollhouse? Hard to say. It depends on how Joss manages to juggle things now that he's gotten the pilot out of the way and it depends on how much faith FOX has in his ability to deliver, even without #1 ratings. So, yeah, it's probably still toast. ;) I guess I just have a real hatred for the folks who write these ratings blurbs. Pro or con, I hate it when journalists try to sensationalize everything.

MediaSavant
February 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
FYI--

When Firefly debuted, it had 6.2 million viewers.

Of course, this is the age of the DVR and the overnight numbers only include people who watched through the end of the night. (Live + same day) This genre of program tends to have a high number of people watching later. Dollhouse could gain a lot more viewers when the final numbers come in.

Unfortunately, Fox gets paid by the advertisers on neither the Live plus Same Day or Live Plus 7 Day rating. They get paid on "C3"--the rating for who watches the ads within a 3-day period.

Madwelshboy
February 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse scratches its way to #1 on US iTunes!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/16/joss-whedons-dollhouse-scratches-its-way-to-1-on-itunes/12952

Dollhouse Finds Its Audience... On iTunes

The ratings and reviews for new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse weren't exactly wonderful, but there's one place where the love for the show is easy to find... Apple's iTunes store.

"Ghost," the first episode of Whedon's new Fox series, is the best-selling TV show at the Apple store, having spent the last few days slowly creeping up the charts (It started as the 19th most popular, on Saturday). Is this a sign that the critical tide is turning for the troubled show, or just that the Whedon Faithful are supporting the show in any and every way that they can?

http://io9.com/5155387/dollhouse-finds-its-audience-on-itunes

USS Defiant
February 20th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'm perdicting Nosedive city, they would be lucky to get half that for episode #2. I got Dollhouse on my Tivo Season Pass manager, so I will watch the entire season (if it makes it that long), but going by the first episode it wasn't that good at all.

As much as I like Eliza Dusku, I think TPTB over-stretched by penciling her in that role (although that is one tough role she has taken on). Poor Eliza looked lost and rather lame in ep #1, I hope she and the show get better.

Does anyone realize that the main Networks generally put there worst shows on Firday nights because the least amount of people are home in front of there televisions then. Shows you how highly Fox thinks about it.

Angela V
February 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Okay after seeing the 2nd episode I think Fox has lost it's mind! So much better. Why did they want a revamp of the first episode? It annoys me to no end that after the 1st episode some viewers just didn't tune for the 2nd episode which was so much better. It just seemed to me that Fox said "dumb down the first episode so a 5 year old could understand it". And I believe that was the problem with the first episode, Fox interfered. You'd think with the dvd sales of Firefly, which Fox also interfered with the first episode, would've proven to them to just let Joss do what he does best.

Anyway I thought episode 2 was awesome! Though I do have wonder how many Battlestar Galactica actors are going to show up! Loved seeing Mark Sheppard again.

Madwelshboy
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Ratings for Episode 2

Last night’s Dollhouse drew 4.2 million and 1.7/7, down from last week when it drew 4.7 million and a 2.0 rating with adults 18-49, and notably this was against repeats on the CBS lineup

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/21/saturday-ratings-dollhouse-downer-terminator-tscc-not-uplifting/13214

ShadowMaat
February 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Huh. Not as huge a drop as I feared. Not good, of course, but when you're worrying about 3.5 a 4.2 doesn't seem so bad. LOL!

knowles2
February 21st, 2009, 07:10 PM
It seem it not doing to bad, not good but not entirely bad. I hope we can see those numbers grow. Through the synopsis of episodes does not really excite me.
It does seem that both shows do have protental to support each other. I doubt Fox will see that through.

I think it would have chance if fox to a bold decision and order a new season, for both shows. This would fans more secure and attract viewers.

gopher65
February 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
The first episode was bad enough that I almost didn't bother watching the second ep. Fortunately it was far better than the first one. But all it takes is a bad premiere episode to pull down a series' ratings far enough that it crashes.

Madwelshboy
February 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Friday Ratings: Dollhouse continue to slide

Led by Ghost Whisperer, Friday’s most-watched show, CBS continued its Friday night domination. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse continue their downward slide Flashpoint does seem to be taking a 10%-15% hit among 18-49s. Whether that is due to Dollhouse or something else is hard to say.

<snip>

Dollhouse didn’t dip by much. It was down to 4.13 million and a 1.6/5 with 18-49s versus last week’s 4.22 million and 1.7/5.

<snip>

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/day/friday

knowles2
February 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am expecting a massive drop in numbers after this week poor/very poor episode. It simply not good enough stories coming out.

AnUbIs2004
March 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
I am expecting a massive drop in numbers after this week poor/very poor episode. It simply not good enough stories coming out.

Agreed! After last Friday's episode, I will not waste my time. The whole concept behind this show is just too idiotic. I know they sure can count me out next week, as I plan to watch paint dry while this airs.

knowles2
March 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Agreed! After last Friday's episode, I will not waste my time. The whole concept behind this show is just too idiotic. I know they sure can count me out next week, as I plan to watch paint dry while this airs.

It not he concept, I think the concept is brilliant and ask anyone in the cia/MI6 if they would love the ability to do what they do in the Dollhouse they would all jump at it.

The thing is the only thing that interest at the moment is Alpha and what happen to him and we have not even seen him on screen.

Madwelshboy
March 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
DVR ratings boost Fox's Sarah Connor and Dollhouse

Fox's new Friday night sci-fi block of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse has disappointed in the ratings, but the shows are racking up big gains once a full week of DVR viewership gets added into the mix, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

According to Live+7 DVR data, the Dollhouse premiere episode's rating increased 30 percent after post-premiere-date viewing was included. Dollhouse went from a 2.0 adult demo number to a 2.6.

The show's lead-in, Terminator, gained even more: 36 percent.

The Terminator and Dollhouse gains are considered very high increases for time-shifted viewing, even for a Friday night.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/dvr-ratings-boost-foxs-sarah-connor-and-dollhouse.php

knowles2
March 3rd, 2009, 02:57 AM
DVR ratings boost Fox's Sarah Connor and Dollhouse

Fox's new Friday night sci-fi block of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse has disappointed in the ratings, but the shows are racking up big gains once a full week of DVR viewership gets added into the mix, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

According to Live+7 DVR data, the Dollhouse premiere episode's rating increased 30 percent after post-premiere-date viewing was included. Dollhouse went from a 2.0 adult demo number to a 2.6.

The show's lead-in, Terminator, gained even more: 36 percent.

The Terminator and Dollhouse gains are considered very high increases for time-shifted viewing, even for a Friday night.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/dvr-ratings-boost-foxs-sarah-connor-and-dollhouse.php
Interesting, so is Terminator increasing its numbers before Dollhouse came on the air.

This more I looked at it and I certainly hope TSCC is renewed and it would interest to see if the two shows were aired together from the start of next season and if together they can strike up a strong partnership and conquer FOX friday blues. Through Dollhouse really to start improving its stories and episodes.

Madwelshboy
March 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Grey Hour Ratings

Dollhouse dropped yet again as well, last night it drew 3.5 million and a 1.5/5. Only a miracle is going to save Dollhouse, but a slightly lesser miracle is necessary than with TSCC, as Dollhouse’s 18-49 numbers are 50% better than TSCC’s.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/07/friday-ratings-terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles-crashes-down/14133

SBN
March 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Grey Hour Ratings

Dollhouse dropped yet again as well, last night it drew 3.5 million and a 1.5/5. Only a miracle is going to save Dollhouse, but a slightly lesser miracle is necessary than with TSCC, as Dollhouse’s 18-49 numbers are 50% better than TSCC’s.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/07/friday-ratings-terminator-the-sarah-connor-chronicles-crashes-down/14133

This show needed a miracle before it even aired. Just watched last night's episode, and could not even finish it...dull, boring, blah blah.

AnUbIs2004
March 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM
This show needed a miracle before it even aired. Just watched last night's episode, and could not even finish it...dull, boring, blah blah.

About time they put this mess out to the pasture. I am sure it won't be long before the Whedonites start pulling excuses out their *#&@ like they did with Firefly to explain why such quality TV gets canceled (of course the mere thought that it could be just garbage does not cross some minds).

God please don't let us have a save Dollhouse campaign, or Dollhouse movie...just let this die already.

knowles2
March 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry to disappoint their was/is a save dollhouse campaign before it even aired its first episode.

Is it really worth saving no.

TSCC is simply because I interested in the story. This will likely just change to cable after fox cancel as with those numbers it would survive on their, and allow to grow. And with the new film plus a rumor trilogy of films it would make sense to continue the story. Through this scenerio the actors would to take a pay cut.

Dollhouse really got to produce something that grabs the audience and it just is not doing it right now.

ShadowMaat
March 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I am sure it won't be long before the Whedonites start pulling excuses out their *#&@ like they did with Firefly to explain why such quality TV gets canceled (of course the mere thought that it could be just garbage does not cross some minds).
You mean kinda like how Gaters found every excuse under the sun for why their Precious got axed? LMAO!

Ohhh, whatever. I don't have the problems with the show that everyone else seems to, but if it dies I'm not gonna be that fussed about it. And I loathe all SOS campaigns, even if I love a show and don't want to see it die. A couple of rotten apples really CAN ruin it for everyone.

retiredat44
March 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I was a Firefly fan... Dollhouse just isn't for me... :p

Madwelshboy
March 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Ratings for Episode 5

“Wasn’t planning to post yet another story on Fox’s “Terminator” and “Dollhouse” ratings, but I figure an item is only fair given what happened last night. For the first time, both shows went up.

“Terminator” (3.5 million, 1.2/4) went up 20% for last night’s “Today is the Day Part 1? (which at these viewing levels translates to a couple tenths). “Dollhouse” (4.3 million, 1.6/5) went up one tenth - 7%. “

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/14/friday-ratings-ghost-whisperer-wins-tscc-and-dollhouse-higher/14540

Madwelshboy
March 24th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Updated Friday Ratings: Dollhouse foundation holds up against NCAAs

Predictions of Dollhouse getting crushed did not come to pass. The much-anticipated sixth episode finally arrived and performed similarly to last week when it had 4.3 million and a 1.6 rating with 18-49s. Last night it had 4.13 million and a 1.5/5 (rating/share) with adults 18-49. It doesn’t look like either the basketball or the the Battlestar Galactica finale (and the BSG season finale averaged 2.4 million viewers, the most since the season 2.5 premiere) had much of an impact on Dollhouse.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/21/friday-ratings-dollhouse-foundation-holds-up-against-ncaas/14966

Madwelshboy
March 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Friday Ratings: NCAA cruises to victory, Dollhouse drops

Dollhouse 3.87(million) 1.3/4(demo)

<snip>while Dollhouse slipped by about 250,000 viewers and dropped two tenths of a point among adults 18-49.

I’m not a Whedonista, but I have enjoyed the last couple of Dollhouse episodes (and next week’s looks pretty cool, too), but I’m pretty sure the writing is already on the wall as far as renewal goes. People will speculate over why the show lost more viewers last night, particularly in the 18-49 demographic. My speculation won’t be better than anyone else’s so I’ll leave it to everyone else

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/28/friday-ratings-ncaa-cruises-to-victory-dollhouse-drops/15375

Madwelshboy
April 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Friday Ratings: CBS wins with mostly repeats, Dollhouse looks done

Dollhouse = 1.4/5 (18-49 Rating/Share) 3.49 million viewers

CBS won the night despite two out of its three shows being repeats. The results for Dollhouse should finally end any discussion of the show’s renewal prospects, unless DirecTV plans to save it in the same fashion it saved Friday Night Lights and there are at least a couple of reasons why that doesn’t seem likely for Dollhouse (it doesn’t have the 40+ 37 episodes under its belt with critical acclaim that FNL had before the first deal and it doesn’t match DirecTV’s “football exclusives” pattern).

Otherwise Dollhouse is done on FOX after it finishes its run. But this being the Internet I’ll have to endure hearing about

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/04/friday-ratings-cbs-wins-with-mostly-repeats-dollhouse-looks-done/15945

Shan Bruce Lee
April 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
It wouldn't really surprise me. The show is good, just not that great. It always reminds me of Dark Angel... another decent but nowhere near great show that didn't last very long.

knowles2
April 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It wouldn't really surprise me. The show is good, just not that great. It always reminds me of Dark Angel... another decent but nowhere near great show that didn't last very long.

It lasted longer than firefly, In fact is lasted two seasons and if Whedon did not come along we would of got a third, Dark Angel was cancel for the flop that was called firefly, which is one reason why I never was that clean on it.

Madwelshboy
April 6th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Fox Leaning Toward 'Dollhouse' Renewal

The Fox network is just a step away from shaking up its Friday lineup for the 2009-10 season, canning one show and considering a move to a new night for a second.

Let's hit the good news first. Airlock Alpha has learned that Fox is looking to give its struggling "Dollhouse" a second season, to see if it can grow some legs on a new night. Fox had originally intended "Dollhouse" to air Mondays with "24," but Fox instead decided to move "House" to that spot to replace "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," and to create sort of a genre theme night on Fridays.

The audience for "Dollhouse" are not exactly where Fox had hoped they would be, however, critical reaction to later episodes following its February premiere has grown more positive toward the series as it has had the chance to flesh itself out. Showrunner Joss Whedon had said ahead of its premiere that he had gone back to retool certain aspects of the show, including using a new premiere episode than what was originally planned, eventually canning what would have been the premiere.

The move seems to be an easy one for Fox. While the audience hasn't been as large as expected, it has instead remained stable. It's not a number that Fox uses, but "Dollhouse" carries a BlipNetwork Stability Index Rating of 92.0, better than every other network genre show currently on television outside of "Reaper" on The CW, which has a 94.7. A Stability Index Rating is the comparison of the show's highest overnight rating and its average overnight rating to see how much of its overall audience a show has retained.

Other factors in favor of the show continuing is that it's not as expensive as other Fox shows. Much of its upfront costs, including the construction of the elaborate set that is the dollhouse itself, were covered by funds that normally would've paid for a pilot (no pilot was made for "Dollhouse"). Also, while Whedon's Mutant Enemy Productions and star Eliza Dushku's Boston Diva Productions are tied to the series, 20th Century Fox Television is still the primary production company involved, which means its licensing fee is not as steep as it would be if the show was produced by another studio.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/04/fox-leaning-toward-dollhouse-renewal.html

Arative
April 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
That's good news about Dollhouse, even if it is bad news TSCC.

Madwelshboy
April 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Episode 9 Ratings

Dollhouse was down a tenth versus last week with a 1.4. But last week Dollhouse had a 1.4 in the overnights that went up to a 1.5 in the finals.

Another tenth of an 18-49 point won’t likely save Dollhouse and it’s too bad because last night’s episode was actually pretty good ( I liked it at least as much as the vaunted sixth episode, perhaps more).

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/11/friday-ratings-terminator-tscc-goes-out-with-a-whimper/16547

Madwelshboy
April 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Friday Ratings: Dollhouse sinks to series lows

Ok, as of 10:15A PDT, I haven’t seen anything with demo data yet. Ghost Whisperer seems to have done well as usual. Dollhouse averaged a series low 2.99 million viewers, but I’m not sure yet how it performed in the demo. We do know however that FOX averaged a 1.1 among 18-49s between 8pm-10pm so its fair to guess that neither Prison Break or Dollhouse did better than a 1.2. What does this mean? Well, Prison Break was already definitely not coming back. Dollhouse looked like it was certainly not coming back either but maybe, possibly, if the ratings went up, even a little…But they did not.

Update: James Hibberd reports Dollhouse scored a series low 1.2 rating with adults 18-49 while Prison Break did a 1.0. Ghost Whisperer scored a 2.1, though even that was down 16% from its last original airing

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/25/friday-ratings-dollhouse-sinks-to-series-lows-ghost-whisperer-wins-again/17382

Madwelshboy
May 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
Updated Friday Ratings: Dollhouse sinks again, Ghost Whisperer wins again

Dollhouse sunk yet again, this time to a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating, with 3.1 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/02/updated-friday-ratings-dollhouse-sinks-again-ghost-whisperer-wins-again/17885

gopher65
May 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
As much as whedonites like to claim otherwise, some of this drop is definitely due to the mediocre nature of some of the episodes, and the fact that this whole idea should have spent several more years rolling around in someone's head before it was ever put down on paper. It clearly wasn't developed far enough before being put into production.

I (and everyone else, I think) also wonder how much of the continued dropping is caused by the fact that *everything* on Fridays does poorly. Even CBS shows (which are typically better than Fox shows) have poor ratings on Friday.

SBN
May 5th, 2009, 04:48 AM
As much as whedonites like to claim otherwise, some of this drop is definitely due to the mediocre nature of some of the episodes, and the fact that this whole idea should have spent several more years rolling around in someone's head before it was ever put down on paper. It clearly wasn't developed far enough before being put into production.

I (and everyone else, I think) also wonder how much of the continued dropping is caused by the fact that *everything* on Fridays does poorly. Even CBS shows (which are typically better than Fox shows) have poor ratings on Friday.

I don't think there was that many who read about this show BEFORE it aired who had any realistic ideas this was going to last. You are right, the whole concept was just pathetically thought out. God, I could have come up with a better show in 30 minutes.

Madwelshboy
May 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Friday Ratings: Dollhouse sinks to series low in finale

Dollhouse was seen by 2.8 million viewers and earned a 1.0 preliminary adults 18-49 rating. There was apparently some overrun from Prison Break which might impact Dollhouse’s numbers (possibly for the better) when it’s factored out.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/09/friday-ratings-numbers-for-dollhouse-finale-friday-shows-delayed/18368

Madwelshboy
September 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
'Dollhouse' returns to lowest ever ratings

The second season of Dollhouse premiered to the show's lowest ever audience last night, according to early ratings data.

The opener, which guest-starred Jamie Bamber, pulled in just 2.57m for Fox in the 9pm hour. The ratings are the lowest ever for the Joss Whedon series but are roughly on par with the 2.75m audience for the first season finale in May.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a179245/dollhouse-returns-to-lowest-ever-ratings.html

jelgate
September 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Not surprising. You'll be lucky if Fox lets Dollhouse finish it 2nd season. I don't even think a S3 is a possibility.

LoneStar1836
September 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Yep, not surprising. Don't recall seeing a single advertisement on tv for it. I'm sure there were some, but I never saw them.

jelgate
September 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Yep, not surprising. Don't recall seeing a single advertisement on tv for it. I'm sure there were some, but I never saw them.

I wouldn't know. I watch Fox for this and The Simpsons.

Given the ratings last year Fox probably views it a lost to advertise Dollhouse. Advertisement tends to go to show they will consider a sucess. And despite liking the show I don't see Dollhouse in that category

LoneStar1836
September 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't doubt FOX has written it off before it even started but you'd think they'd at least advertise the season opener.

Local Fox news is about the only thing I watch on that channel, but even considering how little I watch it, still saw plenty of ads for Bones...which I know is one of their most successful shows, but still. Why even freaking bother bring DH back if you are going to treat it like a cast off. :rolleyes:

jelgate
September 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Local Fox news is about the only thing I watch on that channel, but even considering how little I watch it, still saw plenty of ads for Bones...which I know is one of their most successful shows, but still. Why even freaking bother bring DH back if you are going to treat it like a cast off. :rolleyes:
It will reduce the outrage from Whedon fanboys

Angela V
September 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
It will reduce the outrage from Whedon fanboys

And fangirls :D

Madwelshboy
October 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
TV Ratings: Dollhouse dips to a new series low

Last night Dollhouse slipped to a series low 0.8/3 with adults 18-49 and averaged 2.1 million viewers. Night’s full details coming soon.

Sure, it was a very slow Friday for broadcast where the night’s highest rated show with adults 18-49, Medium, pulled only a 1.8 rating with adults 18-49. Speaking of Medium, you can enter to win Medium’s fifth season on DVD. Ten people will win, if they are eligible and good at predicting how many people will watch next Friday’s episode. Last night Medium averaged 7.719 million in preliminary numbers

But that’s not good news for Dollhouse. And sure, Syfy airing Stargate Universe (we will hopefully see the numbers for it later today, if not, I’m sure we’ll see them Monday) couldn’t have helped, but dropping below a 1.0 can’t be what FOX had in mind with its lower expectations for Friday. And people bailed on Dollhouse out of ‘Till Death! The half hour viewer numbers for FOX just got worse each half hour between 8p-10p (2.42M, 2.29M, 2.19M, 1.99M). FOX didn’t edge The CW by much on the night in either viewers or adults 18-49, and The CW’s night included an hour of an encore of America’s Next Top Model.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/03/tv-ratings-dollhouse-dips-to-a-new-series-low/29376

ShadowMaat
October 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I heard a rumor that Dollhouse might be in danger of getting pulled off the air, but how likely is that? I know shows can get nixed partway into a first season, but I kinda figured in a second season they'd get the full run before being canceled, just... because of contracts... or something.

If the ratings are that bad, how likely is it that the show will make it to its finale?

jelgate
October 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I heard a rumor that Dollhouse might be in danger of getting pulled off the air, but how likely is that? I know shows can get nixed partway into a first season, but I kinda figured in a second season they'd get the full run before being canceled, just... because of contracts... or something.

If the ratings are that bad, how likely is it that the show will make it to its finale?

Very likely considering Fox and Dollhouse's ratings. Being pulled mid-season usually has nothing to do what season they are in

ShadowMaat
October 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Very likely considering Fox and Dollhouse's ratings. Being pulled mid-season usually has nothing to do what season they are in

Yeah, someone reminded me that Pushing Daisies got axed before the end of its second season. Huh. Won't be THAT sorry if it goes. This show focuses WAY too heavily on Echo for my tastes.

Shan Bruce Lee
October 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm still hopeful they'll get to finish the 2nd season, but I'm not optimistic... if that makes sense. But a 3rd season is pretty much out of the picture.

Madwelshboy
October 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
From E Online:

Kelly in Ft. Myers, Fla.: I've heard that our favorite Dollhouse may be in danger. Does it help the rating if people watch on iTunes or Hulu? I always try to do my best.

Don't we all? Sadly, we Dollhouse fans are going to have to do better—the ratings are terrible. While the Fox bosses were gracious to renew it, their patience has to be wearing thin. If you possibly can (and we know it's hopelessly old-fashioned and uncool), please watch it live on Friday night and/or slip a $20 to any Nielsen families you might know in hopes that they will do the same.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b147553_spoiler_chat_can_new_gossip_girl_be.html

Shan Bruce Lee
October 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
From E Online:

Kelly in Ft. Myers, Fla.: I've heard that our favorite Dollhouse may be in danger. Does it help the rating if people watch on iTunes or Hulu? I always try to do my best.

Don't we all? Sadly, we Dollhouse fans are going to have to do better—the ratings are terrible. While the Fox bosses were gracious to renew it, their patience has to be wearing thin. If you possibly can (and we know it's hopelessly old-fashioned and uncool), please watch it live on Friday night and/or slip a $20 to any Nielsen families you might know in hopes that they will do the same.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b147553_spoiler_chat_can_new_gossip_girl_be.html

That's a nice sentiment and all, but I'll be watching SGU so I can't :)

Madwelshboy
October 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Dollhouse rose to a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating and 2.25 million viewers. That’s up from last week’s .8 (which rose to .9 in the final numbers) by 25%. Now we wait to see what happens on 10/23 since next Friday, 10/16 is the first round of the ALCS (baseball conference championships) on FOX. Ok, perhaps rising from a series low that was very low isn’t anything to brag about. But, it’s at least better than setting another series low!

Here’s Dollhouse’s half hourly breakdown (A18-49) (A18-34)(P2+)

9p: (1.0/4) (1.0/4) (2.295M)

9:30p (1.0/3) (1.1/4) (2.198M)

Viewers (Millons) = 2.25

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/10/tv-ratings-dollhouse-rises-ghost-whisperer-leads-cbs-to-win/30118

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Don't focus on Echo = get higher ratings. ;) Probably won't pan out that way, but a girl can hope. LOL

huntress
October 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
That's a nice sentiment and all, but I'll be watching SGU so I can't :)

SGU is one show I am giving a very wide berth. I wish the networks would finally give up on old fashioned ratings like Nielsen because those do not really tell the truth. How about adding Hulu and Netflix ratings, then the numbers would actually really mean something.

ShadowMaat
October 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Oh, I learned my lesson about Stargate shows: NEVER AGAIN. Dollhouse may not be one of the best shows on TV right now, but as far as I'm concerned it's still a far safer choice than anything Stargate.

And if the terrible ratings mean Dollhouse doesn't survive to the end of the season and I have nothing to watch Fridays at 9? I'll read a book.

huntress
October 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Oh, I learned my lesson about Stargate shows: NEVER AGAIN. Dollhouse may not be one of the best shows on TV right now, but as far as I'm concerned it's still a far safer choice than anything Stargate.

And if the terrible ratings mean Dollhouse doesn't survive to the end of the season and I have nothing to watch Fridays at 9? I'll read a book.

LOL same here :) Lately I am reading more then watch telly. The only shows I watch are Castle, Dollhouse and NCIS

DigiFluid
October 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM
More good news, for a change! (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/dollhouse-shows-enormous-dvr-gains.html)

huntress
October 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM
More good news, for a change! (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/dollhouse-shows-enormous-dvr-gains.html)

See just as I said. Those networks have to look at more then just Nielsens :)

jelgate
October 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Its still not enough. We will need higher increases then that for a 3rd season.

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
TBH I wouldn't consider a third season a possibility. And to be equally honest I'm not sure it deserves one. I'm watching mostly for Victor and some of the other dolls and for a mild curiosity about where it's all going, but the storyline is slower than molasses in winter and the show itself generally isn't that impressive to me. I'll probably watch the remainder of the season but if by some miracle it does get renewed for a third season I'll probably only drop in for the non-Echo eps.

Amalthea
October 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
See just as I said. Those networks have to look at more then just Nielsens :)

If only they'd see it that way! Of course, they will never see it that way because Hulu, NetFlix and DVR don't show commercials. The revenue commercials generate is the only thing networks care about.

If we want scripted television to survive, people with Nielsen boxes need to stop watching reality TV. Of course, then I refer you to the Rosanne episode where the family got a Nielsen box.

DigiFluid
October 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
TBH I wouldn't consider a third season a possibility. And to be equally honest I'm not sure it deserves one. I'm watching mostly for Victor and some of the other dolls and for a mild curiosity about where it's all going, but the storyline is slower than molasses in winter and the show itself generally isn't that impressive to me. I'll probably watch the remainder of the season but if by some miracle it does get renewed for a third season I'll probably only drop in for the non-Echo eps.

I'd more or less agree. The first half of season 1 was really, really boring. I actually stopped watching it and didn't bother coming back for months. The second half of season 1 was when things got interesting--and did they ever, that made for some good TV. Now we're back to more or less junk. The most recent episode was fun, but not what I'd call great TV like the best of season 1. And the two before that....well, sucked.

Long story short: late season 1 storytelling would make this show worthwhile. But thus far, it's had a hell of a lot more misses than hits.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
The second half of season 1 was when things got interesting--and did they ever, that made for some good TV. Now we're back to more or less junk. The most recent episode was fun, but not what I'd call great TV like the best of season 1. And the two before that....well, sucked.
Y'know, in a way it reminds me of Stargate (both of 'em, really). The first half of the season makes you wonder why the frak you're bothering with this crap and then the second half blows you away. I didn't have much respect for that way of doing things on Stargate and I don't much care for it on Dollhouse, either.

I hate it when producers waste half a season on junk.

huntress
October 18th, 2009, 03:47 AM
If only they'd see it that way! Of course, they will never see it that way because Hulu, NetFlix and DVR don't show commercials. The revenue commercials generate is the only thing networks care about.

If we want scripted television to survive, people with Nielsen boxes need to stop watching reality TV. Of course, then I refer you to the Rosanne episode where the family got a Nielsen box.

I never watched "Roseanne" because I didn't like the show. What happened in it?

Amalthea
October 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I never watched "Roseanne" because I didn't like the show. What happened in it?

I never much did either, but I do remember that episode. When the family got a Nielsen box, Roseanne decided that they had received one because they were poor and the company presumed they were stupid, so she made everyone watch Discovery Channel and the like to prove the company wrong.

The point is, Roseanne was asserting that Nielsen boxes are in put in homes where the results will demonstrate that people want to watch the "easy" tv shows, so any show with a hint of intellectualism will suffer. It's vaguely conspiratorial, really.

Regardless of whether they do it on purpose, the plethora of reality shows out there would seem to back Roseanne's point of view.

jelgate
October 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Updated TV Ratings: Dollhouse hits low note;

The best episode (in my not so humble opinion) of Dollhouse to ever air on FOX….ended on something of a down note with less than a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Dollhouse averaged 2.147 million viewers and a .8 rating.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/24/tv-ratings-dollhouse/31404

Amalthea
October 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM
]Updated TV Ratings: Dollhouse hits low note;

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/24/tv-ratings-dollhouse/31404

Bummer... although it seems it basically maintained from "Brothers" which is interesting.

Based on what shows won the night it seems clear to me that we just need to add some ghosts and some law enforcement to the show and we'll have a hit!

huntress
October 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I don't like "Medium" at all and I am sick and tired of all those "L&O" or "CSI" series but I guess the mass of the public loves it and I have an off beat taste when it comes to telly o_O

Madwelshboy
November 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Dollhouse Live+7 Ratings Up 57% vs. Live+SD, Still Just A 1.3

I’m sure the fact that the October 23 episode of Dollhouse increased its adults 18-49 ratings 57% from Live+SD to Live+7 will be batted back and forth across the ‘net, but it still only reached a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating (compare that to the 1.1 Live+SD rating for a 2 hour a 1.2 preliminary Live+SD rating for the 9pm hour of a House repeat on 10/30, and the timeslot competition below). Dollhouse fans are on a viewing hiatus, courtesy of Fox wanting to do better on Fridays during the November sweeps, so there will be plenty of time for discussion before there are any more Dollhouse ratings to report.

By comparison, the other shows in the Friday 9pm timeslot that week (October 19-25) had the following Live+7 ratings: Medium (2.5), Ugly Betty (1.6), Dateline NBC (1.8), Smallville (1.4).

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/11/09/dollhouse-live7-ratings-up-57-vs-livesd-still-just-a-1-3/33022