This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The earth defense kicks butt

The Earth has really upped it's defences don't you agree.

Originally posted by rmbeast
    Earth has really upped its defenses, don't you agree?
    How do you figure? All we have is the Prometheus, and that hasn't proven effective against anything larger than an Al'kesh. Sure it has great shields, but as far as weapons are concerned it's crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas Quinn
      How do you figure? All we have is the Prometheus, and that hasn't proven effective against anything larger than an Al'kesh. Sure it has great shields, but as far as weapons are concerned it's crap.
      Well, I'd say we've improven quite a bit!! At the end of Season 1, the only thing we had was a shuttle to prevent an invasion. It was luck that Daniel got the coordinates to prevent Earth from being taken over. Now we have the Prometheus and several squadrons of F302's, the Anicent outpost and I would bet at least 1 Al'kesh.

Quite an improvement from 8 years ago!

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

We have improved the defense a lot since season one, yet we don't see much of the defense used in battle. I think, the Lost City has been the only episode so far that actually shows a fleet of our ships in action, so we can't really see how much we have developed. But I think overall, we could put up a very tough fight.
        __

__

Comment

It's actually nice to see that the Stargate program has lived up to it's mandate. To secure alien technology through the gate for the defense of Earth. Too many SciFi shows forget about every tech they encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
            We have improved the defense a lot since season one
            All we have improved is building the Prometheus and the F-302s. It's better than nothing, but it's almost nothing. It's missiles are slow and useless against shielded targets.
            the Lost City has been the only episode so far that actually shows a fleet of our ships in action
            You call the Prometheus and a couple fighters a fleet? Those X-302s barely lasted five minutes. Once they were out of missiles they were useless.
            But I think overall, we could put up a very tough fight.
            We can put up a tough fight against ground forces, but we are just as vulnerable to space attack as we ever were. I know the Prometheus has Asgard shields, but the Goa'uld wouldn't even have to destroy it to attack Earth. Since it's weapons are useless, the motherships could just ignore the Prometheus.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

MT, I think you're correct. The fleet isn't much of a fleet, just a temporary way to keep a certain amount of ships away. The Promethus certainly couldn't have withheld all of Anubis's ships by itself, it was struggling with the backup. Without the weapon we found, then I think we would have been in a near destruction situation.

Overall, some technologies are good for hand-to-hand combat, otherwise full-on scale attacks, we have nothing!
              __

__

Comment

If you recall the Al'kesh that Prometeus was fighting can kick a Ha'tak's butt. Plus when prometheus was fighting all of those ships it was providing cover fire, it was not trying to destroy them. And by the way the Prometheus does has Asgard designed weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by rmbeast
                  If you recall the Al'kesh that Prometeus was fighting can kick a Ha'tak's butt. Plus when prometheus was fighting all of those ships it was providing cover fire, it was not trying to destroy them. And by the way the Prometheus does has Asgard designed weapons.

True, weapons and shields actually! Yet the shields don't seem to be very good, they failed too quickly. We didn't really see the weapons too much, but we did see them in the background, yet they didn't seem to provide much assistance, even if they were there for cover!
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    All we have improved is building the Prometheus and the F-302s. It's better than nothing, but it's almost nothing. It's missiles are slow and useless against shielded targets.You call the Prometheus and a couple fighters a fleet? Those X-302s barely lasted five minutes. Once they were out of missiles they were useless.We can put up a tough fight against ground forces, but we are just as vulnerable to space attack as we ever were. I know the Prometheus has Asgard shields, but the Goa'uld wouldn't even have to destroy it to attack Earth. Since it's weapons are useless, the motherships could just ignore the Prometheus.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the motherships just ignoring the Prometheus, because if you remember the conversation with General Hammond, General Jumper and the President they were saying that the Prometheus could put up a good fight with three Hataks. Indicating to me that the Prometheus with their Asgard shield and weapons would be able to take on three or more motherships. Obviously they wouldn't have been able to hold out 30 of Anubis's motherships, but they could take on a good number.

As for the X302's yes, they do run out of missles but don't forget they should have cannons as well. That's something, so they aren't completly useless, they can't go attacking motherships with cannons but they could take out several gliders.

Ace
                    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                      True, weapons and shields actually! Yet the shields don't seem to be very good, they failed too quickly. We didn't really see the weapons too much, but we did see them in the background, yet they didn't seem to provide much assistance, even if they were there for cover!
                      I dont thing you quite understand the firepower the prommie took in TLC. Extended bombardment from several Al'Kesh (similar bombardments took out Ha'taks) and then repeated fire from Anubis entire fleet, with his machine gun main weapony thing that was pump out dozens of shots.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

earth defense sucks except the anceint weapon in antartica if the goauld had sent more than a couple motherships before we found the anceint weapon earth would hav goten the crap kicked out of it

Comment

Until they come up with a way to effectively deplete/overload deflector shields, our ships are of limited utility in a direct firefight. Railguns are nice against unshields targets, but energy weapons are the key we have yet to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                            Until they come up with a way to effectively deplete/overload deflector shields, our ships are of limited utility in a direct firefight. Railguns are nice against unshields targets, but energy weapons are the key we have yet to develop.
                            Back in "Tangent" Carter mention some kind of shield frequency modulator or something that if put on missiles could allow them to take out a goa'uld ship. Maybe our ships' missiles are armed with those.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                              Back in "Tangent" Carter mention some kind of shield frequency modulator or something that if put on missiles could allow them to take out a goa'uld ship. Maybe our ships' missiles are armed with those.
                              Yeah, but that ep was the first and last time we heard about them. If our current missiles were equipped with them you'd think they'd have been mentioned by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X