This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random pages I keep getting when visiting Gateworld

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but sometimes when I check in here to see new posts from my email messages I keep getting a 2nd page for something called "Best Video" which is a youtube downloader..... Doesn't always happen, but always seems to only happen when coming here to Gateworld..
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

hasn't happen to me.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I get 'em too, you're not alone.
      Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
      Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Have you checked your Browser Add-ons and anti-malware settings ?

What you're describing sounds like the program that's available for IE,FF and Chrome users.
        Either you have it installed ,and it's cutting in automatically when it senses YT vids on a thread, or it's piggybacking on adware somehow .

When you next get this second page divert load, it'd be useful to take/post a screencap so Darren can see what you see .
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Have you checked your Browser Add-ons and anti-malware settings ?

What you're describing sounds like the program that's available for IE,FF and Chrome users.
          Either you have it installed ,and it's cutting in automatically when it senses YT vids on a thread, or it's piggybacking on adware somehow .

When you next get this second page divert load, it'd be useful to take/post a screencap so Darren can see what you see .
          Yeah next time this occurs I shall do a screencap and post a link.

Comment

Thanks !
            Just because you see this second page here doesn't mean the program got onto your computer via GW ,so I'd advise you to run an Anti-spyware/malware program and see if you get results from that.

Let us know if you find anything.Could be tracking cookies or something more invasive ,so we'll need the codes and a Cap.

Some members recommend Avast.I'd personally suggest malwarebytes.The free version is quick to instal and works best if you can run it every week or so while your comp isn't needed for online access as it can take a couple of hours to go through all your files.

( You might already know all this,but the info may be useful to others !)

Comment

Thanks !
              Just because you see this second page here doesn't mean the program got onto your computer via GW ,so I'd advise you to run an Anti-spyware/malware program and see if you get results from that.

Let us know if you find anything.Could be tracking cookies or something more invasive ,so we'll need the codes and a Cap.

Some members recommend Avast.I'd personally suggest malwarebytes.The free version is quick to instal and works best if you can run it every week or so while your comp isn't needed for online access as it can take a couple of hours to go through all your files.

( You might already know all this,but the info may be useful to others !)

I do virus scans every week. My machine is clean of viruses and malware...... But like I said if it happens again I'll post a link with screencap of what I get.

Comment

Is it possile that you have that program - or something by the company that makes that program - loaded on your machine?

It's kinda like, way back when I needed a download helper, the one I had was ad supported so I had to deal with the popup ads as long as I had the software installed. I know I've had some of those youtube download helpers installed in my firefox and I have occasionally had to deal with a 'we just upgraded, here's our homepage, donate will ya???' page every now and then
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  Is it possile that you have that program - or something by the company that makes that program - loaded on your machine?

It's kinda like, way back when I needed a download helper, the one I had was ad supported so I had to deal with the popup ads as long as I had the software installed. I know I've had some of those youtube download helpers installed in my firefox and I have occasionally had to deal with a 'we just upgraded, here's our homepage, donate will ya???' page every now and then
                  I did have the program but removed it ages ago along with all traces of it that were left over. Even went as far as editing the registry..

The page I get wants me to register the software....

Comment

wait wait - i think the bigger question is: you use email notifications?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                      wait wait - i think the bigger question is: you use email notifications?
                      What's wrong with that. In all the time I have been on this forum it's never caused problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        What's wrong with that. In all the time I have been on this forum it's never caused problems?
                        Email notifications are so 1995.
                        Talk about a inbox clogger. Sheesh. If you're so worried about specific threads you don't want to miss new replies to, subscribe to them. Otherwise, a simple browse down the forum index will show you all the threads you've replied in.

I just don't understand the need for such a function. Much more work than necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                          Email notifications are so 1995.
                          Talk about a inbox clogger. Sheesh. If you're so worried about specific threads you don't want to miss new replies to, subscribe to them. Otherwise, a simple browse down the forum index will show you all the threads you've replied in.

I just don't understand the need for such a function. Much more work than necessary.
                          Well I just like to be that little bit different... Hence the notifications....

Plus when you get the notifications you are subscribed to the thread as well.

<Snipped by Moderator.>
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 August 2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Take the chat off-thread guys...and remember this is still a PG Forum and certain terms are guaranteed to cause offense/reports.

Now : anyone else getting the YT problem ?

Comment

Take the chat off-thread guys...and remember this is still a PG Forum and certain terms are guaranteed to cause offense/reports.

Now : anyone else getting the YT problem ?
                              I don't thnk I said anything PG did I?

Comment

Working...
                              X