Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not serious. I don't give out that kind of personal information. But how true is the one page rule. My research has been mixed on going to a second page. Some say no. Others say its okay
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Unless you have a great deal of relevant experience, I would keep it to one page. Personnel managers are not going to spend a lot of time looking at resumes - they need to see right up front at a glance that you have the requisite training/experience/background that they need. You can always give them more detailed information at the interview.
      sigpic

Comment

A functional CV as we were taught... which would mean mine is full of graphic design experience which is useless when applying for other jobs...
        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 23 September 2015, 09:19 AM.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My resume is 3 pages. But then, in academia, resumes that are longer than 1 page are more the norm than in other places. I've seen resumes of professors that are 10-20 pages when they include all their published works.
          Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

My actual CV is 2 pages long - no long text, all bulletpoints.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

bullet points is a good way to go for business. Like I said, personnel managers are looking at lots of resumes all the time, they don't want to wade through a bunch of junk to find out that you're maybe qualified.
              sigpic

Comment

That point was universal in my research but I was mixed in page length due to the more common practice of submitting resumes online.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

really depends on the job - as was mentioned, in academia the resumes or CVs tend to get very long-winded. But in business, two pages is pretty much max. And for a young person without a huge amount of *relative* experience, one page would do it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Some sources agree with you Nola. Others don't.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I must admit, I haven't been an office manager (and looked at lots of resumes) in a long time, so some things may have changed. There are some really good tips to be found through the LinkedIn network. Sometimes they put together several short articles on business practices, employment strategies (including resumes), what never to do at work - that sort of thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

I bet it was before the Internet
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

actually, it mostly WAS *shudders*
                          sigpic

Comment

You should have told Al Gore to go faster
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

And he should have done it without the use of fossil fuels too.
                              Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

Use nuclear power.

What? Its not fossil fuels
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X