Comment

But I *do* get pleasure from it
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Killing billy is not your strong suit either. Given he is alive
        Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        But I *do* get pleasure from it
        See? That is good example of what is wrong with our schools today. The results don't matter, just the attempt. A failed attempt is considered as good as a successful one.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          See? That is good example of what is wrong with our schools today. The results don't matter, just the attempt. A failed attempt is considered as good as a successful one.
          And no degree means trouble on the jobmarket... so succes is preferred.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            And no degree means trouble on the jobmarket... so succes is preferred.
            This was supposed to be just busting Lolamom's chops, she seems to take a lot of heat for being a teacher.. But this is actually a legitimate issue
            Not by many of the schools.. they're afraid of hurting little johnny's self esteem or some such by giving a failing grade.

Comment

This was supposed to be just busting Lolamom's chops, she seems to take a lot of heat for being a teacher.. But this is actually a legitimate issue
              Not by many of the schools.. they're afraid of hurting little johnny's self esteem or some such by giving a failing grade.
              That's mostly me. And they mostly half truths. I believe a lot what I say about teaching but have exaggerated them to such extremes that they are insane.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

that's true enough - the exaggeration part

as for hurting little johnny's self-esteem - BAH! if he can't handle the work, he needs to get out of my class. I will allow anyone to fail who doesn't meet standards. I do call parents to let them know that little johnny isn't doing his work or doesn't study for tests or whatever excuse they happen to have, and then I let them have the grades that they earn. Like Jel, I'm a strong believer in facing reality. I was an office manager for nearly 20 years before becoming a teacher. I wouldn't let an employee get away with shoddy or no work, and I won't let a student either. There are consequences to both actions and INactions. I say let 'em have it!
                sigpic

Comment

What about the kids who is trying but despite his/her effort can't get it? I had a friend like that who I was tutoring in Pre-Calc who gave the hardest but was only getting a C.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

a C is passing. I give students extra help if they're trying. I get to work at 7:30 - school doesn't start until 8:50 - I'm available for tutoring. BUT, they have to make the effort. Also, I'm available during lunch and for a very limited time after school. My AC goes off by 4:15 and it gets hotter than blazes very quickly in my room.
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess a C is technically passing. It still would be unacceptable in my family
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

that's true enough - the exaggeration part

as for hurting little johnny's self-esteem - BAH! if he can't handle the work, he needs to get out of my class. I will allow anyone to fail who doesn't meet standards. I do call parents to let them know that little johnny isn't doing his work or doesn't study for tests or whatever excuse they happen to have, and then I let them have the grades that they earn. Like Jel, I'm a strong believer in facing reality. I was an office manager for nearly 20 years before becoming a teacher. I wouldn't let an employee get away with shoddy or no work, and I won't let a student either. There are consequences to both actions and INactions. I say let 'em have it!
                        You may be an exception to what is becoming the rule these days, particularly in the more liberal states like NY.

Comment

This was supposed to be just busting Lolamom's chops...
                          Oops...

That's mostly me. And they mostly half truths. I believe a lot what I say about teaching but have exaggerated them to such extremes that they are insane.
                          He does.

/
                          I think I might have liked you - what do you teach?

What about the kids who is trying but despite his/her effort can't get it? I had a friend like that who I was tutoring in Pre-Calc who gave the hardest but was only getting a C.
                          Or when the student performs great during the year and then exams roll around and all goes to hell in a handbasket no matter how hard they studied or the time they put into the effort...

I guess a C is technically passing. It still would be unacceptable in my family
                          Classified as a fail in my family - most definitely.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Or when the student performs great during the year and then exams roll around and all goes to hell in a handbasket no matter how hard they studied or the time they put into the effort...
                            Reminds me of my Physics exam where I failed but passed the class because my other work was good
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

And that's why I never took Physics and why I would never want to be a teacher at anything below university level.....
                              Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

It was university level and I found Physics pretty easy for most part. I just made some stupid mistakes on the exam. I was good at math and story problems which is about 80% understanding of Physics
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X