Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's a question (sorry if it's in the wrong place!) Today, another forum user gave me a negative rep point saying it was in response to the negative rep point I gave him. The thing is, I haven't give ANYONE a negative rep point so either someone signed my name, or this kid was making it up. I can handle the rep point he gave me, but if someone's going around signing my name to negative points, is there something I can do to stop it? Granted, I wouldn't be surprised it this person made it up and the thread has been deleted because of people slugging back and forth, but is there something I can do?
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I'm about 90% certain that the person simply jumped to conclusions because you dared to disagree. But... you can always have a Mod check it for ya. There WAS someone a while back signing another's name... and there's an odd connection there, too...

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
        I can handle the rep point he gave me, but if someone's going around signing my name to negative points, is there something I can do to stop it?
        Yes. You can PM a mod so that we can check whether someone merely jumped to the wrong conclusion or if someone is signing rep points in your name.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Madelaine_W Pm'd me and it seems the jerk was just making it up. Maybe he just needs to lay off the caffeine.
          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
          Daniel: Oh! You see?
          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Not sure where to post this question, so here goes.

We're not supposed to download eps, right? so why are there ads for sites that let you download eps at Gateworld? At the very top of the page, y'know, where the ads are. It just seems weird.
            YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

hey guys sorry about earlier its just ive had a really really bad week n i need to let sum stress out and when u started makin fun of my spelling i lost it
              http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/i...forum=atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by kelmah
                Not sure where to post this question, so here goes.

We're not supposed to download eps, right? so why are there ads for sites that let you download eps at Gateworld? At the very top of the page, y'know, where the ads are. It just seems weird.
                Those are services that you pay for, and they're probably legal. Illegal downloading is what GateWorld aims to discourage.
                Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by !Ancient!
                  hey guys sorry about earlier its just ive had a really really bad week n i need to let sum stress out and when u started makin fun of my spelling i lost it
                  Okay, *not* making fun now, but commenting anyway: can I ask that you try and spell the basic words the normal way? I've no problem with people who can't spell long or unusual words, and I'd never dream of commenting on someone's spelling if they were just a bad speller (heck, I'm 31 and still can't remember how to spell "aparrently" / "apparently"). But 'you' and 'some' and 'and' are all words that everyone can spell.

Have you noticed the posters here from places like Germany, Czech Republic, France and other places where English is not a first language? It's terribly difficult to read foreign language when all the basic words are misspelled. It's actually pretty hard for a lot of native English speakers too. So as a courtesy towards all GateWorlders who might read your posts, please could you not deliberately misspell stuff? Thanks.

Madeleine

Comment

I'm assuming that not using spoiler tags when they should be used is a valid reason to report a post? Cause it's a real killjoy for those of us who don't like to be spoiled, and I'd at least like to prevent others in the future from being spoiled.

Comment

If there are spoilers in a post, then yes, it can be reported.

Gateworld's policy is that anything that hasn't shown in US syndication should be marked with spoilers and hidden behind tags. At this point in time, that'd be season 8+ on Stargate and all of Atlantis.

This is especially important when the new season starts in July, and, for example, for several months the US Scifi viewers will be seeing things before the UK fans, then in the spring, it'll be reversed and the UK will be ahead of us

Now, bear in mind however, that there are degrees of spoilers. Let's take Shades of Grey for example.

Man, i couldn't believe that Jack ran off to Edora isn't quite as big of a spoiler as 'Makepeace???? How could they make Makepeace the traitor?????'

Spoiler means different things to different people and it is far easier to guard agains plot specific and plot ruining spoilers than it is little things like whose voice Narim used in his home or the fact that Jack apparantly marinates his steaks with beer.

A little understanding and tolerance is needed. Folks that are talking about episodes need to be sensitive, but folks that are reading also need to be tolerant.

Also, spoiler space doesn't apply within the episode thread itself. For example, in the Threads thread, feel free to discuss at length the changes in various characters' status without spoiler space. But if you're gonna head off to the Character and Relationship area and discuss specifically how those changes effect one particular member of the SGC, you better mark your thread title with a spoiler warning.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that it was only plot-implicating spoilers that should be an issue, as little weird details aren't really 'spoiling' anything.

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                          Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that it was only plot-implicating spoilers that should be an issue, as little weird details aren't really 'spoiling' anything.
                          If I'm in doubt about whether or not something is a really a spoiler or not, i usually spoiler it with the tags. Just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                            This may not be the correct thread to do it but Shadow asked and it's a valid question. Therefore I'm reposting the respective part of the forum FAQs:

What are the Signature rules?
                            1. Remember that the forum is rated PG. Do not include inappropriate (or borderline) images or links in your signature.
                            2. If you use an image in your signature, it must reside on a server somewhere on the Internet -- and you must have permission to use it.
                            3. The total file size of all images in your signature may not exceed 15KB.
                            4. Your signature's width must not be so wide that it stretches beyond the forum template. It also may not be more than about 200 pixels tall. Remember, less is more! Your signature usually shouldn't dominate your post.

Now we don't have an automated system that would cut down signature sizes, therefore we ask folks to adhere to the rules and show some consideration for fellow forum users. If a signature is completely out of the allowed range we will ask the user to resize it and/or if necessary do it ourselves!

Feli
                            GateWorld Moderator
                            Given the max size for a signature is 200 x 750, 15KB is way off...

I do believe Darren said 50KB...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                              Given the max size for a signature is 200 x 750, 15KB is way off...

I do believe Darren said 50KB...
                              If it is 50 then i changed my sig for no reason!!

Comment

right off the FAQ, a nice little link that is at the top of each page and pretty much covers anything you'd want to know

1. Remember that the forum is rated PG. Do not include inappropriate (or borderline) images or links in your signature.

2. If you use an image in your signature, it must reside on a server somewhere on the Internet -- and you must have permission to use it.

3. The total file size of all images in your signature may not exceed 50KB.

4. Your signature's width must not be so wide that it stretches beyond the forum template -- about 700 pixels is the maximum. It also may not be more than about 200 pixels (two inches) tall, in total. Remember, less is more! Your signature shouldn't dominate your post.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X