This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    Yeah I've gotten several reds over the years myself and shook them off as well, but I just can't see you getting them.
    LOL ! Oh I had them.I'd maybe have recieved a lot more if I'd gone into the red hot topics like politics,gun control , etc.
    ( Ok I read those threads,mainly to broaden my education on those issues,but I rarely ever post in them with my opinion,unless I know my topic,lol !)

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
    I'm not too fussed about loosing the red system. I just thought is was a good way to tell someone off thread that I didn't like their behavior, their off topicness if I thought it was trollish, or their blatant breach of forum rules.
    Well,that was the reason the neg reps were invented,originally.
    Thing was ,too many people took it way too seriously ,imo,or were subject to nasty flames in the comments...or swapped insults publicly .

I never used it to tell someone I disagreed with their opinion on some thread topic. I thought that was the most idiotic use of the system (and several of my reds came that way). Even worse than the pathetic posters who like to troll certain threads and go on red sprees.
    Oh I know what you mean.It was hard not to notice these little shenanigans as one meandered round the place !

Well, it's gone so this topic will be a thing of the past soon.
    Yep ! *Raises cup* to happier threads,hopefully.

Anyway, overall I like the new changes.
    Me too !
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Sounds great! I love a good disagreement, but hate? Not so much. And as someone who's been baffled by getting a couple reds against myself and not my posts, I've no problem with that taking its leave either.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Hi all,

Here's a quicky run-down of some of the forum changes we're kicking off in 2009:
        Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful, and avoid outright hate.

I do have a quesiton about the Character Bashing....

Since members need to be constructive and tactful in critizing a character, doesn't the same go for being constructive in how a character is described? Some members, in the past, have described a character as being "hawt", "sexy", etc. So if members cannot say....."this character sucks"...or "I hate______"; shouldn't members also not be allowed to say..."she's hawt"?

I really think if the Forum is going to make changes in one area, they need to be made in others as well. So if members need to be constructive in critizing a character, then the same should go for saying positive remarks as well instead of degrading, sexist remarks.

Just some suggestions.....

Comment

The rules will be applied evenly and fairly across all instances. It also depends on context and use of the word. 'Shep is soooo sexy' in a thunk thread isn't going to be a problem. 'I think Shep is sexy' in a discussion thread would probably elicit the same 'thanks for sharing your opinion, care to tell us why you think this' response that a 'I think Shep is ugly' comment would get. The latter is not 'bashing', it is a criticism and clearly an opinion. Repeat the statement over and over every time someone mentions Shep and it would be bashing.

I've never seen the word 'hawt' before. What does it mean?
          sigpic

Comment

"Hawt" is just another way of saying "Hot".
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

I'm glad a short and slightly reworded VS was settled for. In comparison to the drafts it feels friendlier, so good stuff.
              Will have to wait and see how it shakes out though. I've already seen someone taking the new VS and thinking it means we won't have negative posts (or not liking the same as they, as it's known ) which did amuse me a little.

As for the rest;
              I was a little disappointed with the user rank change when it happened. I liked the old ones, they were less generic.
              I'm not a fan of the rep system as a whole anyway, so no big deal to me.
              Bigger avatars will be nice.
              I'm a bit "hmm" on the character bashing, though. As long as definite line is drawn on what bashing is, I expect it will be okay. Otherwise hmm.
              More mods, thumbs up.
              Last edited by smurf; 04 January 2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                Its a slang version of hot usually when talking about about a physical attractiveness
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I love the new ranking system and rep status!

RodneyisGodney has their pick of any assignment at the S.G.C.

Is there a list somewhere of all the rep status's from lowest to highest? I'd just like to know where I stand.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                    I love the new rep status!

RodneyisGodney has their pick of any assignment at the S.G.C.

Is there a list somewhere of all the rep status's from lowest to highest? I'd just like to know where I stand.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18320
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                      The rules will be applied evenly and fairly across all instances. It also depends on context and use of the word. 'Shep is soooo sexy' in a thunk thread isn't going to be a problem. 'I think Shep is sexy' in a discussion thread would probably elicit the same 'thanks for sharing your opinion, care to tell us why you think this' response that a 'I think Shep is ugly' comment would get. The latter is not 'bashing', it is a criticism and clearly an opinion. Repeat the statement over and over every time someone mentions Shep and it would be bashing.

That's good to know that same goes for positive remarks as well as negative. I figured it would but just wanted it verified

Thanks for clarifying what is considered bashing and what isn't. I know, in the past, if you said one little negative comment about a character (for example...say you disliked a characters hairstyle) on a thread, you were attacked for bashing. So this is really good to know.

Thanks again GG!!

Comment

Thankx jel!
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME.

Comment

Thumbs up on the updated CV, much more inclusive and to the point!

Thumbs up again on getting rid of the red rep system!

Here's something to think about as/if you guys apply the "no character bashing" rule - which of these statements would be considered bashing?

"I hope X isn't in the upcoming movies! / I hope X never gets another scene!"
                          "I hope X gets killed off (written X out of the show)."
                          "I won't be all that sad if X gets killed off (written out of the show)."
                          "I'll be happy if I never see X again!"
                          "All of X's scenes are such a waste of screen time."
                          "I change the channel every time I see X."
                          "X is the worst character on the show."
                          "X is such a Mary Sue / Marty Stu!"
                          "I hate X's uniform/haircut/etc."
                          "I'm glad they didn't waste any time on X this episode!"
                          "This episode was so bad because it was all about X!"

Or is the implication that you can say some/all of the above statements, you just can't go into numerous threads and keep on posting "X sucks" "X sucks" "X sucks"? Because that would be better stopped with a generic "no spamming threads" rule, applicable to both "X sucks" and "X is teh greatest!" spammage.

Comment

hawt is to hot what nekkid is to naked

just a slang spelling signifying a slight misprounciation of the word
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I like the changes.

I don't think I've ever given out a red rep ...and if I have, it was certainly unintentional. The whole red rep thing, to me, just seemed like it would be somewhat inflammatory and drag out any disputes or ill will. So ...good riddance to that.

Bigger avs sounds good. Who knows, one day 5 years from now I may even be able to build up the necessary post count to use a custom av myself

Respectful posting and constructive critique sounds like a very good change.

Bravo to the changes

Comment

toaster - really that's not possible to answer. It depends on the context, and the content of the post. We're trying to eliminate the hostility and vitriol. I trust all the mods here to make the right judgement call when it comes to character bashing. The question is more, which of those statements you made would add to a discussion? And what is pointless negativity that doesn't even qualify why the person feels that way?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X