Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great system, I hope it's doing well to protect from unwanted guests! I was getting a bit curious as to why I couldn't view my own profile, it seemed a bit strange. But this post cleared it up, good to know!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by dacooker
    The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      I was getting a bit curious as to why I couldn't view my own profile, it seemed a bit strange. But this post cleared it up, good to know!
      people used it to spam on the VM walls. so now it's off limits
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Hello,

the limitations of the Probie status seem to confuse a lot of new members. I've been searching, clicking and scrolling my way through the FAQ and Help-Forums (and even Purpleyin's unofficial off-site guide) for three days, trying to find out why I couldn't view my own or others' profile whether logged in or not and why the scales symbol described in the FAQ* won't show up for me – until I stumbled across post #62 and onward in this thread.

It shouldn't be this difficult for new members to find out exactly what they *can't* do (yet) and why and how long. My question is, would it be possible to notify new members right after their first login about these sort of recent changes? Especially as the FAQ doesn't get updated regularly (because this one looks like an 'Frequently Asked Question' to me ) and even the most helpful threads are often xx pages long (of mostly drabble) and don't have all the answers anyway as much of it is outdated.

Concerning scrolling through the page-spanning drabble that does not really contribute to the topic of the threads, have there ever been thoughts about enabling a appreciation system for posts instead of posters? Like most simply a thumbs-up or, to avoid people just collecting points from friends, something more helpful like special labels (or symbols) in the blue or grey bar declaring things like, "X readers found this post …" Else, if readers can't do that, could moderators grant such labels to particular posts? (I think that might be time-consuming …)

Possible adjectives might be:
        'insightful' (as in especially well thought out)
        'fresh' (as in raising an aspect/argument not yet mentioned)
        'reviving' (previously abandoned aspects/arguments with new view)
        'balanced' (in the pro & contra of their arguments)
        'challenging' (*validly* going against mainstream)
        Or synonyms thereof (English isn't my native language, so I'm not sure e.g. whether it's 'reviving', 'revitalizing', 'resurrecting' or 'recovering'.) or whatever you mods find important about posts.
        There's no point in negative ratings as such sings/labels would only distract scrollers looking for important info. (I wouldn't want to have flagged what *not* to look at, right? )

I really hope I found the correct place to post these questions!

*(which is clearly out of date)
        For example: "What are those icons in the grey bar above my post?" – That bar is now BENEATH the posts.
        Or: "In your User CP, there is a section under Settings & Options named 'Edit Options'." – That is now called 'General Settings' under 'Forums', but thank you for linking it in this sentence. You might want to do the same here: "What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation? – You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options." (And wherever else this advice is given, or else paste in the new label. )
        And: "You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page." – That is no longer true, or at least not for probies. Even when the display is enabled, you can only find it in the box where you choose whether or not to enable it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinxauthor Mel View Post
          the limitations of the Probie status seem to confuse a lot of new members. I've been searching, clicking and scrolling my way through the FAQ and Help-Forums (and even Purpleyin's unofficial off-site guide) for three days, trying to find out why I couldn't view my own or others' profile whether logged in or not and why the scales symbol described in the FAQ* won't show up for me – until I stumbled across post #62 and onward in this thread.

It shouldn't be this difficult for new members to find out exactly what they *can't* do (yet) and why and how long. My question is, would it be possible to notify new members right after their first login about these sort of recent changes? Especially as the FAQ doesn't get updated regularly (because this one looks like an 'Frequently Asked Question' to me ) and even the most helpful threads are often xx pages long (of mostly drabble) and don't have all the answers anyway as much of it is outdated.
          probie status has changed a lot since it was first created. members used to be able to do almost everything and only had their posts held back until a mod approved them. but then spammers found ways around the limit's and began to use the pm,members profiles and sigs to spread spam. now probies are very limited due to this. it sucks but it's necessary

Hello,

Concerning scrolling through the page-spanning drabble that does not really contribute to the topic of the threads, have there ever been thoughts about enabling a appreciation system for posts instead of posters? Like most simply a thumbs-up or, to avoid people just collecting points from friends, something more helpful like special labels (or symbols) in the blue or grey bar declaring things like, "X readers found this post …" Else, if readers can't do that, could moderators grant such labels to particular posts? (I think that might be time-consuming …)

Possible adjectives might be:
          'insightful' (as in especially well thought out)
          'fresh' (as in raising an aspect/argument not yet mentioned)
          'reviving' (previously abandoned aspects/arguments with new view)
          'balanced' (in the pro & contra of their arguments)
          'challenging' (*validly* going against mainstream)
          Or synonyms there of (English isn't my native language, so I'm not sure e.g. whether it's 'reviving', 'revitalizing', 'resurrecting' or 'recovering'.) or whatever you mods find important about posts.
          There's no point in negative ratings as such sings/labels would only distract scrollers looking for important info. (I wouldn't want to have flagged what *not* to look at, right? )
          personally i wouldn't find that helpful on gw. there's been enough problems with groups of people ganging up on another and just flat out rude people. so it would be pretty easy for people to take a person's post and trash it with a thumbs down just because that person's opinion is different from their own.
          I really hope I found the correct place to post these questions!

*(which is clearly out of date)
          For example: "What are those icons in the grey bar above my post?" – That bar is now BENEATH the posts.
          Or: "In your User CP, there is a section under Settings & Options named 'Edit Options'." – That is now called 'General Settings' under 'Forums', but thank you for linking it in this sentence. You might want to do the same here: "What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation? – You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options." (And wherever else this advice is given, or else paste in the new label. )
          And: "You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page." – That is no longer true, or at least not for probies. Even when the display is enabled, you can only find it in the box where you choose whether or not to enable it.
          those are good points this guide is pretty outdated and the poster doesn't come on here anymore. we do have a member jper who is pretty knowledgeable about the modern day gw. he's offered to make a new guide but i don't know if he's gotten around to it yet. as for the FAQS i'm sure it could use some updating you can always bring it up here. darren (site owner) does view the thread and if he feels it needs some updating he'll do it when he gets the time.

any who welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            those are good points this guide is pretty outdated and the poster doesn't come on here anymore. we do have a member jper who is pretty knowledgeable about the modern day gw. he's offered to make a new guide but i don't know if he's gotten around to it yet. as for the FAQS i'm sure it could use some updating you can always bring it up here. darren (site owner) does view the thread and if he feels it needs some updating he'll do it when he gets the time.
            I'm flattered. Really. You know what, I'll make some serious progress on creating a new guide. I've just been postponing it in the hopes that shadowmaat would continue his guide or the mods would or there be a better faq or... any excuse was good... anyway, just postponing 'cause I didn't really think I was that good for or at it, but if you really think so, I'll go ahead and assemble the info. Thanks PA!!

And *$é#£+&... darn it, I cannot green you.
            A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Phew, now that I'm out of my probie status I think I'll go around spamming the board and PMing people to join my spam sites and spam also spam and spammy spam spam. SPAM.

Nah just kidding of course I think it's a good idea and I didn't have any problems. My posts were approved quite soon after I had made them. Also is it just me or do you feel a sort of sense of achievement when you can finally click on your profile and change your avatar and post freely?.....just me?.....guys?..
              sigpic

Comment

I like your avatar, Captain Yesterday. I can not wait to get off of probie status, and put up my favorite avatar. It might be Star Wars related, Star Trek related, or Stargate related, I have not decided about it yet.

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. There's some things I'd like to comment on.

… but then spammers found ways around the limit's and began to use the pm,members profiles and sigs to spread spam. now probies are very limited due to this. it sucks but it's necessary
                  Yes, I'd read about the reasons (once I found them) and understood them as well as appreciated the effort made to minimize the damage. Is it completely impossible to allow viewing profile pages passively without enabling any sort of messaging/posting there? Or is that spam spread as those page links themselves?

personally i wouldn't find that helpful on gw. there's been enough problems with groups of people ganging up on another and just flat out rude people. so it would be pretty easy for people to take a person's post and trash it with a thumbs down just because that person's opinion is different from their own.
                  I realize that, which is why I suggested:
                  Like most simply a thumbs-up or, to avoid people just collecting points from friends, something more helpful like special labels (or symbols) in the blue or grey bar declaring things like, "X readers found this post …"
                  and pointed out:
                  There's no point in negative ratings as such sings/labels would only distract scrollers looking for important info.
                  (I might have to reword that, if I can't get across what I'm trying to say. Can I?)

as for the FAQS i'm sure it could use some updating you can always bring it up here. darren (site owner) does view the thread and if he feels it needs some updating he'll do it when he gets the time.
                  Thank you for reminding me, I'd come across that link during my search but had forgotten there was such a thread! I will go there next and ask about rating particular posts. (Unless someone else already did! )

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                  You know what, I'll make some serious progress on creating a new guide. ... anyway, just postponing 'cause I didn't really think I was that good for or at it, but if you really think so, I'll go ahead and assemble the info.
                  I've read some of your posts already, so I'm sure you'll do great. Therefore, I'm very much looking forward to the new guide!

Originally posted by Captain Yesterday View Post
                  I think it's a good idea and I didn't have any problems. My posts were approved quite soon after I had made them.
                  That's true for me too; I can always see them just hours after I sent them, so I'd like to express my appreciation to the moderators. I'm sure they have their hands full with all the new fans joining now that the new series has been aired in non-English speaking countries too.

Originally posted by Captain Yesterday View Post
                  Also is it just me or do you feel a sort of sense of achievement when you can finally click on your profile and change your avatar and post freely?
                  Originally posted by Tatooinegateghost View Post
                  I can not wait to get off of probie status, and put up my favorite avatar. It might be Star Wars related, Star Trek related, or Stargate related, I have not decided about it yet.
                  I'm not there yet so I can't comment on achievement, but are you telling me there will be even *more* to choose from after my tenth post??? I had such a tough time just deciding from all those possibilities already given for avatars!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tatooinegateghost View Post
                    I like your avatar, Captain Yesterday. I can not wait to get off of probie status, and put up my favorite avatar. It might be Star Wars related, Star Trek related, or Stargate related, I have not decided about it yet.
                    Actually you'll have to wait until you're at least 6 months here and have accumulated at least 2,000 posts before you'll be able to use a custom avatar. However, there's a wide number of avatars to choose from already. Capt. Yesterday's avatar is one of them. You can already take/choose that one.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Actually you'll have to wait until you're at least 6 months here and have accumulated at least 2,000 posts before you'll be able to use a custom avatar. However, there's a wide number of avatars to choose from already. Capt. Yesterday's avatar is one of them. You can already take/choose that one.
                      Painful, but true
                      sigpic

Comment

Thats not completely true. The 2000 post count and 6 month time span are approximations and are constantly changing (by Darren). Sometimes its more and sometimes its less
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

It shouldn't be this difficult for new members to find out exactly what they *can't* do (yet) and why and how long.
                          I think the "how long" info is particularly kept quiet by the mods so that spammers won't abuse it?
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

As a new member, I have to say I think the 'Probie' status is a good idea.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm use to wating for stuff, it makes it more enjoyable.

Comment

Hi,
                                I just found this thread and spent an hour reading it. .mmm, My problem is that I'm really the Captain of an Orion class Battle cruiser that has just outrun a hostile Aldaran war fleet intent on destroying Earth. This is the only Earth site I've been able to reach and I was wanting to warn everyone about the imminent attack, but I'm afraid it it may be too late by the time it gets through the moderators... Sorry guys, I tried
                                Captain Lazlo
                                http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X