This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnneMcSommers View Post
    I am okay with the needing approval and such. I would just like to be able to choose an avatar, and fill in my basic info. Even if it was just all dropdown from a list until you werent a probie.
    we used to let people do that. Until we had a round of spammers fill their profile with their garbage links. Heck, I just deleted a post from a probie that was on topic....except for the link in the bottom leading to a dubious site.

Believe me, I hate having people so restricted. It sucks for you, it's tedious for us, but we have such a dedicated handful of spammers that we really have no choice.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
      Welcome to the forum.
      The Probie status wasn't always as tough as this, but a series of attacks by committed trolls and spammers, mostly caught early by the mods, have forced the site owner to introduce harder security. GW is one of the more popular sci fi websites, and it sometimes attracts the pond slime dwellers who get their kicks out of disrupting or crashing sites.
      It can be a pain for some posters, and some complain that they can't have all the rights and posting abilities of established members, but, as you say, better a little security now than a lot of problems later. I have been to unmoderated or low secuity forums in the past and they are usually stuffed full of nasty pics and viruses.
      I think it's a great securiy tool to have and like you say it's better to be safe then sorry. So I don't mind my posts being moderated for a bit and for having little access to the features. I'm here to post about StarGate and I am here to obey the rules, not worry about the features that I should have as a newbie.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
        Well 2k posts and you will have your very own custom avatar
        if you pay off the cantina you get it sooner

probie status is awesome and worth it for the rest of us
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I reread the faq, Newbie Guidelines, and the first post in this thread...
          I noticed I am off Probie status, though not in the "Basic Trainee" status, but I still can't edit my profile or find a signature edit button.
          I totally understand if this is still a precautionary thing, but I was just wondering if I am missing something (a button to click or whatnot).
          Sorry to bother you if it is a status thing.
          Thanks for the help.

Comment

Nope your not missing anything the title changes with your post count but the mods make the final call on removing a member from probie status.

Welcome to the forum and be patient

Comment

See this post of mine, earlier:

Originally posted by Jper View Post
              The title displayed directly beneath a forum member's username = user-title.

There is both a probie user-title (a.k.a. rank or level) and a probie status or user-class. The two are unrelated and have different meanings. Probie can refer to both.

Probie user-title: Any new member with a total post count ranging from 0 to 24 will have the "Probie" rank/title and thus the word "Probie" in his user-title. This is not to be confused with the Probie status.

Probie status or Probie user-class: Due to aggressive attacks from spammers, all new members are on "Probie status". For one this implies you are on moderation, meaning a moderator must approve your message (forum posts, social groups posts, etc.) before it appears. Social group posts can also be approved by the group creator. However, because spammers simply used other means/features to spread their "spam", the forum signature feature, private messaging (PM); visitor messages (VM), editing posts, giving reputation/green to a post, accessing your own profile or other profiles and the pictures/albums feature have been disabled for "probies". This probie status is not to be confused with the probie user-title.

These user ranks/levels depending on total post count are:

0-24: Probie
              25-49: Airman
              50 -99: Staff Sergeant
              100-249: Chief Master Sergeant
              250-499: Second Lieutenant
              500-999: First Lieutenant
              1000-1999: Captain
              2000-2999: Major
              3000-4999: Lieutenant Colonel
              5000-7999: Colonel
              8000-9999: Brigadier General
              10000-14999: Major General
              15000-19999: Lieutenant General
              20000-49999: General
              50000+: Air Force Chief of Staff
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Oh, I saw all that but I'm off Probie status and nothing is different. Which is why i wondered if i missed something. But Probie Status and Probie title are different. I missed that. Lol.
                Gotcha. So, a moderator changes it, it's not automatic nor with status. Was confused cause my boyfriend is on probie status, but got off probie mods after a few post. Just was curious. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Roseness View Post
                  Oh, I saw all that but I'm off Probie status and nothing is different. Which is why i wondered if i missed something. But Probie Status and Probie title are different. I missed that. Lol.
                  Gotcha. So, a moderator changes it, it's not automatic nor with status. Was confused cause my boyfriend is on probie status, but got off probie mods after a few post. Just was curious. Thanks for the clarification.
                  A moderator can physically remove a person from probie status but its also automatic. Darren has a formula based on how much you post and how long you have been a member. And yes probie status is different then the title off you user name. Based on your user name you have to be close to being off.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Gotcha. Didnt meant to sound impatient. Just new n00b questions. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Roseness View Post
                      Gotcha. Didnt meant to sound impatient. Just new n00b questions. Thanks for all your help.
                      No problem. We're glad to have you. Feel free to ask any other questions if you'd have any. You can always PM a mod or member if you don't want to ask here. Don't worry about the Probie-status, and you'll be on your way soon.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Roseness

Just because your title changes doesn't mean your usergroup does. And I think that's where the confusion lies. user group - which governs your permissions - is different from your usertitle
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So does this mean I have to post a lot in order to chose an avatar and gain the privilege? I was going to register a while ago, but wasn't sure how worthwhile it would be.
                          sigpic
                          Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

So does that mean if the moderators don't like you they won't take you off probie status ? JK. I really do need to find something else to post about tho
                            sigpic
                            Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

Why can't edit my Avi? OR any of my other info for that matter?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melia View Post
                                Why can't edit my Avi? OR any of my other info for that matter?
                                your on probie status it's the means the forum uses to stop spammers. once you reach a certain amount of posts and rep you'll be taken off by a mod.

all the detailed info about it is kept secret

be patient and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X