X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apostrophe View Post
    So, the squeeky wheel gets the oil...

Perhaps needless to say, there seems like a lot I could post about SGU, but that would be off-topic for this thread.

Let's see, as long as I'm here, in regard to a more general forum topic, it seems like number of posts shouldn't be the sole criteria for advancement. There is the concept of quantity and quality. I apparently have a tendancy toward long posts. In fact, I've gone so far as to pretty much rewrite entire episodes online. If I broke those up into single sentances I would probably have hundreds (thousands?) of posts on the roster...

Hope that wasn't why I was de-activated. Hey, some people thought they were pretty good!

OTOH, I guess the implication is that shorter posts are to be encouraged. I'll try to take that under advisement.

Just checked... I'm back on again. Hurray!

Now the challenge as always is to find the time between mundane daily living chores.

thanks for the reply..
    Being removed from Probie status isn't just done by post count nor were you caught in that due to length of posts.

It is a combination of # of posts, amount of reputation and time as a member. What those exact amounts are no one knows as to advertise that would defeat the very purpose we have a "Probie Status".
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Okay, thanks 4 answering.

Comment

Oooooh.... Well, that explains why I couldn't change anything and my e-mail message said 'update your profile'... So the idea is that you post a number of messages? I don't have that much time so.... Does it matter how long it takes you to write these messages? I'd hate to have to post just 'some messages' to be able to change my profile and avatar and stuff like that.;-)

Greetz: Worshipper Of Darkness -xXx-

Comment

Originally posted by Worshipper Of Darkness View Post
          Oooooh.... Well, that explains why I couldn't change anything and my e-mail message said 'update your profile'... So the idea is that you post a number of messages? I don't have that much time so.... Does it matter how long it takes you to write these messages? I'd hate to have to post just 'some messages' to be able to change my profile and avatar and stuff like that.;-)

The post length really doesn't matter just as long as your post isn't just to spam the forum. Basically if your a person with your own thoughts is respectful to other post it doesn't matter on the length
          Last edited by jelgate; 21 May 2010, 12:09 PM.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Worshipper Of Darkness View Post

You should be joining the forum to participate not to get a cool profile pic or Avatar.
            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
              You should be joining the forum to participate not to get a cool profile pic or Avatar.
              Exactly!

It was a bit annoying not having posts appear when I submitted them... but "probie" status was over before I knew it and I'm now able to post normally - so it doesn't take too long.

Worshipper Of Darkness, if you'd like, there are plenty of great avatars to choose from that you can use even in "probie" status. The only restriction on avatars is that you can't upload one of your own. The one I'm using now is from the list that probie's can use, because I liked it so much I didn't see the need to add my own custom avatar.
              Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Nice change and all but a nice note at beggining of registration wouldn't have hurt. Would it? I had no idea that this site had become so important, it had to implement those rules. But I would have liked to know that they were implemented before registration. Maybe I might be wrong and it's up in the rules or somewhere where I hadn't found it or seen it or anything like it. In all together a good idea if GW needs it but I need info in this cacofonic mess.

Comment

I was just wondering if it could be possible for new members to upload a single profile/avatar pic that a moderator would approve, and still have their profile access limited until they moved up in rank.
                  "Stay Diverse; not divided."
                  "You get more from life with Sugar than Spice"

"Its a Monster Hunter fiesta!!"
                  <3<3<3 MissPrincess <3<3<3

Comment

Originally posted by MissPrincess View Post
                    I was just wondering if it could be possible for new members to upload a single profile/avatar pic that a moderator would approve, and still have their profile access limited until they moved up in rank.
                    i do approve of newbies being allowed to use the avatars supplied by the forum. for some the probie status might take a long time and should be allowed to feel a bit at home having a stargate avatar, assuming the software allows it
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I think you can upload a profile pic once you have moved off Probie status, but you are limited to the supplied avatars until you reach approx 2000 posts.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        and should be allowed to feel a bit at home having a stargate avatar, assuming the software allows it
                        Having a totally blank profile and no avatar just feels weird. Almost unwelcoming.
                        "Stay Diverse; not divided."
                        "You get more from life with Sugar than Spice"

"Its a Monster Hunter fiesta!!"
                        <3<3<3 MissPrincess <3<3<3

Comment

Having a totally blank profile and no avatar just feels weird. Almost unwelcoming.
                          Newbies even before probie status don't get many profile visits
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Unless something changed since I was a Probie a month ago, you can use an avatar - as long as it's in the huge gallery that GateWorld offers.

The one I'm using right now wasn't uploaded - it's taken from the GW gallery and you can use it, even though you're on Probie status. There's hundreds to choose from.
                            Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

probies can't access their profile to choose an avatar. We had to do that because we had spammers that were filling their profile full of their junk links.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Spammers are ruining the internet world.
                                Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X