Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm well I actually know some of my gateworld 'friends' in person and they are that - friends.

One reason why I kind of 'tag' if you will, my friendly gateworlders is that we have similar interests and by looking at what they post on I may find a thread I may really like posting on. I'm kind of on the fense with the whole thing - I like it for reasons and not for others but each have valid points
    sigpic
    Spoiler:
    President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
    President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
    Forum Charmer
    Forum Ambassador
    Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

i guess i'd put a note in my profile messages 'I don't friend people i don't know, so don't ask' and then, when you get some, deny them.

i've denied a couple and i haven't asked anyone.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I asked a few people the first day - people I converse with on a regular basis. This was basically my contacts list from before the change. I've accepted a few others that I know and denied some complete strangers.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
          One reason why I kind of 'tag' if you will, my friendly gateworlders is that we have similar interests and by looking at what they post on I may find a thread I may really like posting on.
          Nothing wrong with that; it's still a tangible connection to the other person. It's be heckuva lot better than shooting blind. What happens if you wind up tagging a troll? Or one of those psychotic-obsessive fans? Or someone whose personal stances you find revolting (or even vice versa)?

It's like walking up to a complete stranger on the street (with your eyes closed) and deciding that you want to be friends. Sure, maybe you'll get lucky and find out you have something in common, but you could also wind up with the guy who beats the crap out of a blind lady on the bus because God told him she was evil. Why not try getting to know something about a person before deciding they'd be a good friend?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Nothing wrong with that; it's still a tangible connection to the other person. It's be heckuva lot better than shooting blind. What happens if you wind up tagging a troll? Or one of those psychotic-obsessive fans? Or someone whose personal stances you find revolting (or even vice versa)?

It's like walking up to a complete stranger on the street (with your eyes closed) and deciding that you want to be friends. Sure, maybe you'll get lucky and find out you have something in common, but you could also wind up with the guy who beats the crap out of a blind lady on the bus because God told him she was evil. Why not try getting to know something about a person before deciding they'd be a good friend?
            Well the people I've tagged I do know a certain degree about - the same stuff you would probably say to a friendly colleague - but never something deep and personal, now that would be really stupid in my opinion

That of course doesn't include my actual friends who have become Gateworld members because we see each other away from Gateworld and have known each other for years
            sigpic
            Spoiler:
            Forum Charmer
            Forum Ambassador
            Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Exactly. You share a connection with the people you tag and you know something about them, but others would rather tag EVERYONE and see what happens. I think it's a bad policy. Sure, you might get some friends out of it and might get to know a few people better, but a majority of them are going to stay strangers and if you DID get to know them you might not like them.

Or maybe instead of the Smiter of the Blind you'll wind up with an Urkel, who follows you around the board everywhere you post and tries to be your bestest friend ever.

I just think it's an incredibly bad idea to try and friend someone you don't know and have never seen before. And I REALLY don't understand the point of having 500+ so-called "friends." I can't even keep up with the 20 people on my friends list right now, never mind the more casual acquaintances I haven't friended. 500 would be just ridiculous. Even if you intended to try and get to know something about them all I imagine it'd be pretty damn difficult to accomplish. Too much work for too little payoff, IMO.

Comment

Well I'm happy to say I haven't go any 'Urkels' - I usually keep my posts in 'The General's Office' section and the 'Off-topic' section and those aren't visited as much. People would probably get bored with me.....actually I'm pretty sure no-one has sent me adds cause I'm not really that interesting.

I think the system is useful - However I feel people have the ability and people do abuse it.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                Forum Charmer
                Forum Ambassador
                Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Social groups

Is there a possibility to collapse the "You are a Member of the following Groups" and/or "Available Groups"?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Nope, doesn't look like it.

But you can collapse the list of your group memberships on your profile page.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      Nope, doesn't look like it.
                      Oh, okay. Thanks.

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      But you can collapse the list of your group memberships on your profile page.
                      Yup, that I discovered already.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So...um, are the tabs for User Info and stuff in the Profile page coming back? I'm still not seeing them.

I use IE, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          So...um, are the tabs for User Info and stuff in the Profile page coming back? I'm still not seeing them.

I use IE, of course.
                          Well, there's your problem. If you used Firefox you'd see the tabs, discover the cure for cancer AND be able to bring about world peace.

Heh. I assume the tab thing is one of the hiccups that the vBulletin people are trying to sort out. Once they do, Greg will implement the updates.

Comment

I've been unable to find a solution for IE tabs yet. Hopefully vBulletin will fix it in the future.
                            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Fair enough,Darren .
                              In the meantime ,I've switched to Firefox.

Great Browser,but so far not a single bonus .I asked it for a turkey sandwich and all I got was a link to Subway.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

what is a members reputation and what does the little reputation button on each post do?
                                STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                                X