This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
    I usually think these are a waste of time too, especially the current crop of Anti [Insert new character that replaced your favourite character here] but sometimes you can't help visiting a thread when you see a character that gets on your and you need a place to vent because when you're in a general discussion thread and you say "Oh for God's sake why doesn't [Insert character's name here] give it a rest, I can't stand much more of his/her [Insert particular annoying trait here]" you tend to find a mob with flaming torches and pitchforks waiting for you when you post again. In another board I post at they have a "Screams of Outrage, Frustration, Anxiety, etc" thread, why don't we have something like that, rules are, one angry post a day, no snarky, bullying and "Oh you are so sad" replys, something like
    Poster 1: "AHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I hate [Insert character's name here] I wish (s)he'd take a long walk off a short pier!!"
    Poster 2: Feel better now
    Poster 1: Yes thanks

What do you think, or is it totally unworkable. And to be fair have a Gushing Praise thread, one silly girly Squee a day to get it out of your system and no "For God's sake get a life" replies, along the lines of
    Poster 1: OMG did you see [Insert current heart throb here] in tonights episode, they way he kissed that HAC, he was so hot"
    Poster 1: Now my breathing's back to normal, yes
    Well why can't either of those kinds of posts be in a general praise or complaint thread?

Like I said, I have no problem with venting but from my personal experience, threads that target a specific character, Weir, Keller, Carter, whoever...tend to become a cesspool. Anger feeds vitriol and without any kind of balancing comments, every bit of negativity goes completely unchallenged. Minor bits of irritation are blown out of proportion...so much so that a "lukewarm about character X" poster tends to get caught up in the anti character X frenzy, leaving no side for moderation or reason. Further, and this is a big 'un, anti-character almost inevitably turns into anti-actor...where anything the actor says and does off the set is scrutinized with that same kind of anti-character obsessiveness.

I'm sorry but as irritated as I was about the Mitchell character, I can't say that he was completely worthless and I fear that had there been an anti-Mitchell thread a couple years ago, I too might have been caught up in that frenzy and would have missed out on some of the changes and pluses I've since seen in the character.

Basically, what I'm suggesting would require people to think before they post, which is kind of what Skydiver was talking about with the mods' plan anyway. Knowing that you're posting in a general "anti new direction" thread you might run into people and have friends who would be offended if you [the general "you"] went too far in your anti-ism, you might think twice before wishing their favorite character dead or squeeing in delight when something tragic happens to them.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
      In another board I post at they have a "Screams of Outrage, Frustration, Anxiety, etc" thread, why don't we have something like that, rules are, one angry post a day, no snarky, bullying and "Oh you are so sad" replys, something like
      Poster 1: "AHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I hate [Insert character's name here] I wish (s)he'd take a long walk off a short pier!!"
      Poster 1: Yes thanks

What do you think, or is it totally unworkable. And to be fair have a Gushing Praise thread, one silly girly Squee a day to get it out of your system and no "For God's sake get a life" replies, along the lines of
      Poster 1: OMG did you see [Insert current heart throb here] in tonights episode, they way he kissed that HAC, he was so hot"
      Poster 1: Now my breathing's back to normal, yes
      I rather like that idea. Gives folks the chance to vent or squeee without expecting - or wanting - a response or a discussion of why they feel that way. Just get it off your chest, feel better and move on.
      sigpic

Comment

You know i still say this sucks!

why? because all threads are pro unless they say anti... plain and simple

this is a discussion forum not a debate forum... sometimes i just want to
        talk about stuff with my friends without constantly having to defend how i feel and think

Despite what people think i'm not here to stir the pot...

taking away the anti forum means i will have to fight for everything i have to say

and frankly i am not willing to fight with people, many of those who have said they are glad to see everyone together are the worst offenders for picking apart everything and demanding i defend what i say... sometimes i just feel what i feel and want to spend time with my friends like i said

i hate debating stuff

i have no problem with people disagreeing with me i do have problems with people picking apart everything i have to say for the sheer joy of it. Or calling me an idiot for feeling the way i do.
        Last edited by parisindy; 05 November 2007, 03:25 PM.
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
          I rather like that idea. Gives folks the chance to vent or squeee without expecting - or wanting - a response or a discussion of why they feel that way. Just get it off your chest, feel better and move on.
          could you only stick with one squee or one vent? I don't know if I could, but then i'm a chatterbox so...

Originally posted by parisindy View Post

why because all threads are pro unless they say anti... plain and simple

talk about stuff with my friends without constantly having to defend how i feel and think

taking away the anti forum means i will have to fight for everything i have to say

and frankly i am not willing to fight with people, many of those who have said they are glad to see everyone together are the worst offenders for picking apart everything and demanding i defend what i say... sometimes i just feel what i feel and want to spend time with my friends like i said

i hate debating stuff

i have no problem with people disagreeing with me i do have problems with people picking apart everything i have to say for the sheer joy of it. Or calling me an idiot for feeling the way i do.
          The episode discussion thread is neither pro nor anti, both sides have been able to say what they want. And as one of those people you may think as the worst offenders, i will say this, I enjoy debating, fair enough you don't. But I go into those discussion threads to discuss what i've seen and hear what other people think. Sure i've said I want to see the two merge, because while I might not agree with everything people have said, it doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion even if I do have opposing views. Besides constantly being challenged on what i've written is something I enjoy, not everybody does. Fair enough, post what you want to post and leave that thread, but a discussion thread is just that, to converse and debate. I know people who post just one post of their thoughts and leave the thread. Chances are the thread will go so fast no one will notice if you (general you) don't respond.

Comment

Actually, all threads are neutral unless indicated otherwise.

And I've always seen Gateworld as a debate forum. Someone will always disagree with what you say and he/she will call you on it. It's just the way it is. It's up to you whether you want to debate back, or say that "let's agree to disagree" and end it there, which as I said above is perfectly fine.

Of course, if you really just want to hang out with friends, you can always create a personalized thread in Off Topic; a couple of posters here have already done that, and they seem happy enough (I wouldn't know for sure; I never go in them).

Comment

And if there are people who you really feel you can't discuss or debate with calmly then make use of the ignore feature. It works for me..
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Actually, all threads are neutral unless indicated otherwise.
                if thats true why are people always telling me to 'get lost and go to the anti thread' when i post in general topics?
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

if thats true why are people always telling me to 'get lost and go to the anti thread' when i post in general topics?
                  Then you report them!

Comment

I've never seen that happen. Can you provide some examples?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                      Then you report them!
                      Yep. If some nimrod calls you an idiot for not sharing in the afterglow of lurve for some episode, that's when you click on the report button and report their butts to the mods, who will swoop in with their magic brooms...clean up the messes left by said nimrods, and then thwap those same nimrods on the head with those same brooms.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I've never seen that happen. Can you provide some examples?
                        no offense but gads are you blind! lol it happens all the time let me look... i am sure i can find a couple

and to be honest i am even hating this thread... i just hate having to argue
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Because some people love to cause trouble. It's why we have the report post feature. And just because someone TELLS you to get lost doesn't mean you have to listen to them. Well, unless you have some kind of freakish compulsion to do everything anyone tells you, in which case please give me all your money.

Comment

no offense but gads are you blind! lol it happens all the time let me look... i am sure i can find a couple

Well this is a discussion forum, so people have the right to ask you to clarify or discuss what you say.

But then, you have the right to not answer. You don't have to argue. Heck, you don't have to do anything. So if you don't want to discuss or debate, you don't have to do either. You're free to come in here, whinge about the new rules and then leave without responding to those who ask you about your position on the issue.

Comment

Incidentally, comments like "are you blind" can be interpreted as being just as incendiary as "shut up and go away." As has been pointed out, no, you don't have to respond to anything you don't want to and when people are being insulting the best thing to do is report the post and sit back. From my understanding the mods are going to be coming down a lot harder on the "shut up" and "are you blind" type comments which crop up with unfortunate frequency, although it'll be interesting to see just where the lines get drawn.

Comment

why? because all threads are pro unless they say anti... plain and simple

i hate debating stuff

Originally posted by parisindy
                                interesting viewpoint...

now, defend yourself & back it up with solid arguments !
                                Last edited by SoulReaver; 05 November 2007, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X