This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Ufnortunately that's wrong. Many of those shows mentioned can be legally watched online - and they're offered by the studios! Inntertube, etc. offer that service. The studios are realizing that fans are watching show via whatever means possible and they are now accommodating those viewers, be it by iTunes or BitTorrent (yes, they've signed contracts), etc.
    In which case, under GW's rules, it would be permissble to post links to the website where these episodes are LEGALLY offered by the studios - however, it would still not be allowed to post links to that same episode hosted on YouTube because the eps are still illegally hosted there... unless the studio signed a contract/gave permission for YouTube to host them.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      In which case, under GW's rules, it would be permissble to post links to the website where these episodes are LEGALLY offered by the studios - however, it would still not be allowed to post links to that same episode hosted on YouTube because the eps are still illegally hosted there... unless the studio signed a contract/gave permission for YouTube to host them.
      And it's up to the studios to remove them. NBC is very good at that as they removed Conon O'Brien content within hours of its upload. They're not as swift with SG content for some reason....

But I'm very curious. It's only been since SGA started airing in Canada that hysteria has swept this board in regards to downloasd. Has Gateworld been warned by the studios?

Comment

And it's up to the studios to remove them.
        And to everyone else not to break the law in the meantime - or at least not to drag this site into it.

But I'm very curious. It's only been since SGA started airing in Canada that hysteria has swept this board in regards to downloasd. Has Gateworld been warned by the studios?
        No. Usually the people who get the episodes first are the same crowd. Now, the people who are used to having seen every aired ep *haven't*, and it distresses many of them, and they can't wait, poor puddings...

If you don't remember as much fuss in the past, I expect it's because each year more people have switched from dial-up to broadband; I know you've been here long enough to have seen plenty of fuss so I expect you just forgot it. There has always been people posting links to illegal DL sites, and always us asking them not to. It tends to happen mostly when brand new eps air outside of the US, but there's a steady stream of it during the year anyway.

Madeleine

Comment

and that's precisely the rules, and i believe what i said in the very first post of this thread

if someone wants to download an episode, people can direct them towards ITunes, they can direct them towards Amazon's Unbox, but that's all.

do NOT direct them towards torrents, do NOT direct them towards youtube, do NOT direct them towards any other illegal source.

Why do we do this?????

Because the MPAA are not dummies. and while they seem to have a limited success in shutting down download sites themselves, they often turn their bullying towards 'innocent' sites where such info is posted.

They will accuse the site of facilitating the illegal downloads, and they will also FIND illegal downloads by trolling such sites to take advantage of helpful but not very wise people that post the links in public places.

It is a monday morning and i'm a bit grumpy, but i really can't understand what part of 'do not post links' is hard to comprehend.

It's against the rules. Don't do it. Plain and simple.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So would PM'ing links to each other fall into the same "don't do it" category? That Q seems to be cropping up a bit, judging from the thread. Probably not something to be encouraged, either way. Illegal is illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              So would PM'ing links to each other fall into the same "don't do it" category? That Q seems to be cropping up a bit, judging from the thread. Probably not something to be encouraged, either way. Illegal is illegal.
              Then I would suspect that 'private messages' are NOT private on Gateworld. [actually, that is a good question in itself - are they private?]

However, I seen lots of download talk on this board all the time. They just don't use that precise word.

Comment

as far as i know pm's are private

Comment

Then I would suspect that 'private messages' are NOT private on Gateworld. [actually, that is a good question in itself - are they private?]
                  Only the Admins can break into your PMs, and they don't. But that's not the point.

This is a place that belongs to someone who is not you, and you agreed to his rules when you joined the forum, and one of them is to NOT USE THE FORUM TO AID AND ABET ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING, so it's rude and duplicitous to do so against his request anyway.

Does that help clarify things?

Madeleine

Comment

what madeleine said. we can't pry into your pm's.

but really, how do you KNOW that the person who's asking for the links is a 'real' person and not some plant of the MPAA, abusing your trust to gain the info they want???

you don't.

so do not use any part of gateworld to traffic in illegal download information.
                    In fact, i wouldn't even admit that i do download if i were you. If they so want, they can use that 'i downloaded the return part 2 and....' to get to your isp and demand records and use that admission to prosecute you and any site involved.

That is precisely why downloading is a forbidden topic here. We're not doing it to be mean, we're doing it to protect this site and its users.

sigpic

Comment

might be something to think about but if people keep posting links and such couldn't it become something that could get you on moderation??

might help to get it into peoples heads not to do it..

post a link and loose your playground privileges

Comment

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                        might be something to think about but if people keep posting links and such couldn't it become something that could get you on moderation??

might help to get it into peoples heads not to do it..

post a link and loose your playground privileges
                        I believe this is already the case - persistent offenders will get modded.
                        sigpic

Comment

persistent offenders do get modded. And some newbies who only show up to spam download addys have been banned.

All that we ask the random forum member to do is

Don't post/ask about/discuss illegal downloads
                          If you see anyone else doing it, report the post.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                            I believe this is already the case - persistent offenders will get modded.
                            Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            persistent offenders do get modded. And some newbies who only show up to spam download addys have been banned.

All that we ask the random forum member to do is

Don't post/ask about/discuss illegal downloads
                            If you see anyone else doing it, report the post.
                            If you don't block their IPs (and it's not always possible) it's all for nothing (they'll simply make another account) ...
                            No the best way is for everyone not to discuss it on the forum !!!
                            It's like Jim/Anubis said in "Threads"
                            " If you deserve to be here want to download, you should be able to get here do it on your own."

Oh, and about the legality let's just say that copyright laws infringements aren't quite the priority of law enforcements forces in countries like Russia, Eastern Europe, China and other Assian Countries...

Comment

snipping off all the shouting....

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              what madeleine said. we can't pry into your pm's.
                              Actually, according to Madeline below, mods can get into your PMs (under certain extreme cirumstances, I would presume), so technically, no, they're not private. And that was my question, which was answered.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                              Only the Admins can break into your PMs, and they don't. But that's not the point.

Comment

snipping off all the shouting....

Actually, according to Madeline below, mods can get into your PMs (under certain extreme cirumstances, I would presume), so technically, no, they're not private. And that was my question, which was answered.
                                well, given that i don't know how or have never taken teh time to figure out how, darren has his hands full getting the site stuff done and greg has his hands full with keeping the site online, i would say the chances of someone randomly looking into your pm's and seeking out the contents is pretty slim

and if folks are concerned about privacy, NOTHING on the internet is private. NOTHING

and if you want what's in your computer to be private, don't ever connect it online

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X