Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Male or Female? Oh, but your username....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a girl, a pickle loving girl.

Comment

Sorry just skipped to the end here, I find it easy not to use the he/she approch too much, it never bothers me, i just refer to a person when talking or responding as a ^ if it's above me or just use the name.

I guess it saves the slight embaressment of being told oppisite, i never assume anything, but for those who claim they are a certain gender i may refere to them in the he/she tense.
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

LOL it is the above/below thing that gets me because I've changed the default settings and view the forum with the most recent posts at the top. I believe that is the opposite to what most people do, so it can be confusing for me!
        sigpic

Comment

Before the introduction of gender in the profile a lot of ppl thought I was male...despite my username.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
            Does it really matter? Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing to me... if someone mistakenly addresses you by the wrong gender, politely correct them. Simple as that!

It's absurd to expect every single user to check the profile of every post they wish to reply to (assuming that user has even listed their gender in the profile) before replying. If you're that sensitive about people knowing your gender and addressing you correctly then the onus is on you to do something about it... pick a username that makes your gender obvious.
            i dont think it does really matter someone already said about it not being the end of the world if u get the gender wrong if u cry about ur loss but if not good for u

Comment

I picked my name and sig specifically to indicate a Gender. Of course, if people choose to assume that it's the Correct gender . . . . *shrugs*.

Some still assume that the "General" is played by a guy.
              Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
              sigpic

Comment

Gee, I was hoping that someone in this thread might have talked about the glitch that I'm running into. My profile won't let me choose anything other than male. I mean, my nickname obviously identifies me as female, but I'd kinda like my profile to back me up on this one. Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by weirdgrrl View Post
                  I mean, my nickname obviously identifies me as female...
                  Actually the point of this thread is that someone with a blatantly female name was pissed off that everyone kept thinking he was a girl, so no, apparently having an "obviously" female name isn't supposed to make a bit of difference.

As for the gender selection issue... *shrug* Either something is quirky with your set-up (I had no problem when I just tried it myself) or it's a bug in the program that tech monkey Greg will have to sort out.

Meanwhile, despite the thread-starter's rantings, I think you're pretty safe- if people see a name with "grrl" in it, they're gonna assume it's a grrl. The problem will be sorted out eventually.

Comment

really this situation cannot be solved with a simple answer and yes i dont have that problem but my view is if the people involved looked a little more 'indeph' at someone such as their profile some things could be cleared up. of course not everything could be cleared up simply by looking at someones profile. some people tend to hide their gender and therefore if you have an issue with the confusion but the choice of your username is up to you. if i do not know someones gender i generally look at thir profile or ask. there is no shame in asking someone to clear something up ....anyway thats my view.
                    sigpic

I'm not dead. Yet.

Comment

gw is the first vb forum i've seen use the gender option in the profile.

most forum i'm a part of it's not even there you have to guess
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Mine is hard to guess.......untill you read my sig
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                        President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                        Forum Charmer
                        Forum Ambassador
                        Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                        VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                        VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                          Mine is hard to guess.......untill you read my sig
                          well i have sigs turned off and i know your name is mike but that don't mean anything .
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

You should all know my Gender by now
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                            X