sigpic

Comment

we have another popup that requires no roll-over

sigpic

Comment

TY Nola.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I'm getting "pop-up" ads only on GW. The problem is there's no visual. Just audio and it happens when GW is the only tab open so it's not coming from another web page. As you can probably guess, I have no examples. Oh, and it's not always the same ad, though most of the time it's Toyota. (I am SO over the Toyota ads!!!)

Comment

Are you sure its just Gw? I once got attacked by a worm that played random audio ads. Psin
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Are you sure its just Gw? I once got attacked by a worm that played random audio ads. Psin
              Yes. Like now. I only have GW, email and my bookmark manager open and just got another one.

I've been getting other ads too, but on other websites. This one takes up the entire screen and has an X and "close this ad" in the upper right. But when I click to close the ad it takes me to a generic GW page and I have to close and reopen the page I want.

Comment

just a heads up on ads that hijack your screen (on any website) DON'T click the red x to close it! Always close it from your browser, even if you have to close the tab or the entire browser. I've even had to go so far as to re-boot my computer on some particularly nasty ads. These are the kind that almost always contain viruses or worms. A little advice from my computer techs. It may save you from a costly clean up.
                sigpic

Comment

If I can get a screen cap of the full page ad, I'll try to post it here so you can see what I see. It's not always the same ad. Toyota, Ram, Pampers, Zillow, some all in one travel site...

Comment

Here you go. This time, I clicked on the "Skip it" but you can see what happened. Then, when I click the X on the "Skip it" that box closes but the ad stays open. I still have to close the tab and reopen to get to the thread I want. Look in the background. I was on the Mod thread at the time.

click for bigger...

Comment

Hello, mods.

I'm here once again regarding the pop-up ads that come up on GW. It's really getting out of hand. Until today, all I had to do was close the tab with the ad playing and reopen it to remove it.

Today, I have had to close and reopen the same tab up to six time in order to be able to view the page that was opened. Click on "close this ad" and you're redirected to a generic GW page where you are then subjected to anoter pop-up ad.

And again, I got one of the audio only ads. There were no pop-ups and no video to go with the audio ad.

Before I'm told to download a pop-up blocker, I have TWO running and the frakin' things are still getting through. I've deleted cookies until I am blue in the face. All it does is wipe out all of my saved passwords and the ads still continue.

I'm still getting them on other sites, but not to the extent that I get them on GW.

Please help!!

Comment

Fan Girl, are the pop ups all related to shopping, sort of "shopping suggestions"? My daughter got a virus or malware on her computer and she couldn't go to any of her favourite sites without having dozens of pop ups suggesting she buy clothes or make up etc. Pop up blockers didn't stop them. We got rid of it by doing a scan with Malwarebytes. Got rid of it completely.

You could try doing an anti-malware scan. If you haven't got one already, I recommend Malwarebytes. It's free & it's bloody good. It's saved my bacon many times. And it can't do any harm.

Edit - Having seen the pop up now (as the Mods have moved our posts) it is very similar to the one my daughter had. I would seriously recommend you do an anti malware scan as I'm pretty certain that will get rid of it.
                        Last edited by Blencathra; 10 June 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Malwarebytes iz da bomb!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Malwarebytes iz da bomb!
                            I had to delete Malwarebytes because my virus program saw it as a virus.

Comment

IIRC,what they advise is to uninstall all your other security ,then install Malwarebytes: run the full scan ,then uninstall MWB,then re-install whatever you normally use once you've dealt with any ad/malware.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

This might be an odd one, but today I had 22 banners stacked down the screen before I got to the actual first post on the thread. It was really odd and could be scrolled past, but thought you might want to see it in case it becomes an issue...

My screen can't show all 22, but I did a cap that shows the last several before the first post... so imagine it keeps going up 14 more banners before you hit the top of the page.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X