This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courtesy of Bagpuss on the Ask the Mods thread:

If any of you can grab the ad *info* ( ie the cap,URL and code for the specific ad that's causing the distortion) please post it to this thread : Problems with a GateWorld Ad-Provide Ad DETAILS

Other options : Either Block the ad itself,or refresh your forum view to get rid of it till it gets pulled or goes off rotation.
    Here's a cap of the ad that's doing it on my computer.

Hope this helps with the issue of formatting. I haven't experienced this with any other ad except this one, so it might be an error in formatting.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm having an issue every few days of a new tab opening up in Chrome claiming to be from a sponsor for Java updates. I've run malwarebytes and avast, no problems. However, this evening it changed - a popup screen happened and I could not close the browser at all. I wound up having to do a hard re-boot. I'm on Firefox now, because I'm not sure if it's a Chrome issue or something else. I haven't been visiting any but my regular websites - basically only a handful of places, so I don't know what this is from.

sigpic

Comment

Not sure if it's an ad, but the 'username' and 'reply to thread' are in black font on some pages. Been happening for a week or so.

Comment

I may have found the source of the "Java Update" screens I kept getting. I switched to Firefox and made certain that no redirects could happen. I've gotten this at least 10 times already this morning.

why would there be a redirect on Gateworld?
          sigpic

Comment

That's something that came in with firefox' upgrades about a year or so ago,and isn't ad-related or sinister.ie : not an unsafe link.

It occurs mostly when using pm,sending posts or hitting thread links ,especially if Firefox users start a message then change their mind.

About all I got from FF support a while back was "it's to make sure you know you want to leave the page or go to a new link" for what that's worth.
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
              Not sure if it's an ad, but the 'username' and 'reply to thread' are in black font on some pages. Been happening for a week or so.
              Have you had to instal any MS or IE updates or upgrade anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Have you had to instal any MS or IE updates or upgrade anything else?
                I get updates daily, and nothing to upgrade.

Comment

another survey pop-up ... second time today

sigpic

Comment

Still need the url code if anyone can take a screenshot.

Are you getting these via your home connection or at Work/School?

Another idea and you probably already did this,but it's something to rule in/out : check out your firewalls and settings.

Comment

I cleared my cache and history, was in the log-in process, and it happened again. This time, however, it does have the URL on the popup.

by the way, this is happening in Firefox. Have not had it happen in Chrome (yet)
                      sigpic

Comment

This is annoying. Since moving and reconnecting my internet within the past week, I'm getting this IE bar at the bottom of the screen that reads: "Do you want to open or save analytics.js from a.sitemeter.com?" This appears on the GW homepage.

Comment

I did not roll over this ad - it popped up as I was typing a message in the Reply box.

sigpic

Comment

Have you both got pop-up blocker enabled or disabled in your Internet Options (Properties)?

Look in Internet Options -Privacy and see whether you've checked the tick box to turn on the Blocker.

Found this : specifically for IE9 but the principles should work for other browsers too.

About.com Tut for IE9 re pop-up blocker

Comment

I was in Chrome. I have pop-up blocker enabled, so this shouldn't be occurring. Just now, GW logged me out for no apparent reason.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok.
                                Without the url link for the pop-ups,it's very difficult to trace to the ad source.The Ad Suppliers need the codes or they'll do little if anything when Darren contacts them.
                                ( Price of an ad-funded forum.They ram in as many ads as they can,and every now and again a Non PG ad or an intrusive pop up gets through.)

Re the log out-if we leave ourselves logged in and don't clear the cookie/cache etc , the forum security token expires after an hour of inactivity.

( This is something that also hits anyone who takes longer than an hour to create a post.60 minutes and the post goes into the ether.)

Comment

Working...
                                X