Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the Skyline ad is quite possible the most annoying thing ever. I'm not even sure its only activated by your mouse going over it because sometimes I go out of my way to avoid doing that and it still pops up.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
      Yes the Skyline ad is quite possible the most annoying thing ever. I'm not even sure its only activated by your mouse going over it because sometimes I go out of my way to avoid doing that and it still pops up.
      sounds like its bewitched

Comment

Ahem....

ad troubles::

According to AVAST a trojan horse was blocked when visiting the forum index, then My Controls. It is blocked, thankgoodness, but it pops up every time I go to a page on the forums.

EDIT: its everywhere ongateworld, a trojan horse is trying to connect, but thankfully Avast is breaking the connection of it and keeping it away

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Wherever you picked it up from, it's still actively invading your computer,so the best advice I can offer is that you dl/run an anti-malware programme asap.

Once you get the Trojan isolated /cleared,can you post it's details ?
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Wherever you picked it up from, it's still actively invading your computer,so the best advice I can offer is that you dl/run an anti-malware programme asap.

Once you get the Trojan isolated /cleared,can you post it's details ?
            Thankfully my Firewall, Avast, blocked it from trying to connect. it still apepars though when I try to access Gateworld. all I know its that is a trojan through an ad, thats it.

All I can remember off the top of my head was this part of the link that was blocked.

/gorillianation/480x60/other_teir

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Passed that along to Greg/Darren .

Comment

So the Skyline ad pops up a few times when you first log in and then stops after closing it each time. Still annoying but good to know it at least stops. Looks like its time to get an adblocker.
                sigpic

Comment

i don't get the skyline ad

because i have a flash & ad blocker installed.
                  how anyone could surf the web otherwise is beyond me.

Comment

Don't use addblocker on GW , the adds help Darren keep up this site .
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                      Don't use addblocker on GW , the adds help Darren keep up this site .
                      When a giant dragon pops up and fills the entire screen every time you click a thread on the site, you might reconsider. I have no problem with any of the other ads, but until this one disappears from the site I will continue using the ad block.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
                        I was directed here to post the annoying Skyline ad that appears on the top of the page. I attached it, so I hope it works. Not sure how to find the coding for it, since that was advised as well. I have found a "close x" button in the top right of the space ship, but right-clicking on the large ad, and the ad in the bar on the top of the forum, doesn't give a website.

My beef is that it comes up, scares the life out of me, won't go away for about 5 secs unless you click "close x", and you can't click on anything else and nothing works until the ad is gone.
                        When it pops up for me it whites out my entire screen to.

1920x1080 advertising pop ups for a ****house movie I'll never watch a dozen times per visit?

Really?

Clicking close does nothing to keep it away. It comes back every time the banner at the top of the page rotates around to it again.

It also circumvents Opera's pop up and ad blockers.

I have one in firefox that will probably stop it but up until this nonsense I didn't feel the need to go to special lengths just to browse this site without pulling my hair out every 4 clicks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the info and screencaps ,everyone.

It IS intrusive ,but until Darren gets in and takes a look,about all I can advise is to add it to Adblocker if you have the option available.

Comment

Amazingly enough, Baggie, it turns out like you mentioned in Ask the Mods thread, Gorilla Nation is promoting the ad, but thank goodness Avast kept its trojan backlash from wporking, thus killing both the ad and the trojan backlash.

Comment

I've e-mailed Gorilla Nation about this one, gang. Sorry. We usually don't have the option of removing major ad campaigns like this, but we can 1) find out when the campaign ends, and 2) register our complaint about how the ad was designed and programmed.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                I've e-mailed Gorilla Nation about this one, gang. Sorry. We usually don't have the option of removing major ad campaigns like this, but we can 1) find out when the campaign ends, and 2) register our complaint about how the ad was designed and programmed.
                                Thank you!
                                Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
                                sigpic
                                Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

Working...
                                X